• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Buggs getting ready for the D League draft November 1
http://instagram.com/p/foVSU6KpNZ/#

https://twitter.com/EBuggsHoops

Sounds pretty serious.

And, don't miss his (new?) website
http://www.ebuggshoops.com/

Good for him!  Best of luck.

Which is more prestigious, Turkey, or the D league?   

valpotx

The D League is more prestigious because it is affiliated with the NBA.  However, he would make more money playing in Turkey or elsewhere in Europe.  The one thing he has that teams want is the ability to penetrate and defend.  He doesn't need to be able to shoot lights out if he is on a team that can do it for him.

Edit: Where do they get his stats from on his website??  They don't seem quite accurate in regards to ppg, FG%, and the claimed '3-to-1 assist/turnover ratio.'
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

QuoteLoyd also played professionally in Italy, Latvia, Poland, Romania and New Zealand, all at the age of 24.
...that...is a busy year.  a lot of 10-day contrax?

as for BuggStats...yeah...maybe he means conference games?

last year: 
7.0 ppg, highest of his career (7.2)
3.7 apg, highest of his career (4.5)
1.6 spg, highest of his career (2.3)
FG% 54.2% (64%) ... minus 3FG, though, 63.6%, or 64% POINT BUGGY
Ast-To 125-86, or 1.45 ("3 to 1")...he's never even had a season above 2 to 1
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Erik-Buggs-16650/stats/
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/valparaiso/erik-buggs

so...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

If he can improve his shooting to become mediocre he can play in the NBA.

He's got speed, he can finish, he can pass, and he's an outstanding defender. If he improves on shooting I think he could possibly be playing with the big boys in a few years.

I think Buggs was the best player on the team last season. Especially down the stretch, he would score 10+ points a game and be very dangerous.

Wish Buggs the best of luck and I hope to watch him on ESPN in the future!

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on October 24, 2013, 05:48:49 PM
If he can improve his shooting to become mediocre he can play in the NBA.

He's got speed, he can finish, he can pass, and he's an outstanding defender. If he improves on shooting I think he could possibly be playing with the big boys in a few years.

I think Buggs was the best player on the team last season. Especially down the stretch, he would score 10+ points a game and be very dangerous.

Wish Buggs the best of luck and I hope to watch him on ESPN in the future!

Erik Buggs is going to play as many NBA games as James Eayrs ().

It's not because Buggs wasn't a great player for Valpo, it's because Erik Buggs isn't an NBA-caliber player. He's quick and is a good defender/passer, but his shooting isn't something that's going to improve over a couple of Europe seasons. An undrafted undersized mid major point guard who didn't get invited to any summer league teams? Not going into the NBA.

FWalum

It appears that Ron Howard is contemplating a trip overseas, perhaps giving up on the dream of playing in the NBA.  Howard uncertain about return to Mad Ants It appears that Ron realizes that the overseas money may be the best thing for his family.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Speaking of money, and I hate to put this on our board, but former Butler nemesis Gordon Hayward is set to receive a lot of money:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9875928/gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-talks-contract-extension
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: FWalum on October 24, 2013, 10:42:52 PM
It appears that Ron Howard is contemplating a trip overseas, perhaps giving up on the dream of playing in the NBA.  Howard uncertain about return to Mad Ants It appears that Ron realizes that the overseas money may be the best thing for his family.
I also wanted to say the Ron has really been a class act here in Fort Wayne and has represented VU extremely well during his time here.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on October 27, 2013, 04:43:18 PMUpdate on Alex Rossi:

QuoteIWU will hold an intrasquad Green-White game Saturday at 9 a.m. at Shirk Center.

"We'll have three 20-minute halves," Rose said.
The VU DIFFERENCE:
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpofan00

Have you all even seen erik shoot lately? jw because he looks like a total beast. Drills or not he couldve never done that at valpo. He certainly has improved his vertical since hes left. Im just amazed how much hate you all are giving him and havent even seen him shoot.  Do me a favor and just check out his instagram videos.

LaPorteAveApostle

pointing out that his stats aren't accurate is hardly "hate".  We all love Erik, and I'm sure he has improved, but if it's as much as you say, then why did he do that in a few months and not over the 5 years in Valpo?

historyman

From Bloomington Pantagraph story on Rossi:

QuoteRossi was ranked as the No. 36 shooting guard in the nation out of New Trier High School and signed with California. After sitting out the 2010-11 season as a redshirt, Rossi played one year at Cal before moving to Valparaiso.

He saw action in nine games but his season ended with a collapse in practice.

"I had an irregular heartbeat," said Rossi. "Everything got really bright and I got really dizzy. I thought I was going to die.

"I had an irregular heartbeat. I had surgery for that, not open heart. They zapped the node that was broken. I'm doing a lot better now. My heart is supposed to be fine so I'm not worried about that."

Once Rossi was cleared for activity, he heard from two friends in Titan basketball player Eric Dortch and football player Alex Garvey.

"I never visited. I knew those guys were here and they had a good basketball program," Rossi said. "After the last surgery, I was mentally just done. I took a lot of time off. Coach Rose called and gave me a second chance."

Were these details of Alex Rossi's heart issue ever revealed?

Why did Rossi not want to come back to Valpo if his heart was okay? Why was IWU coach Ron Rose giving Rossi a second chance? Did Bryce tell Alex that his Div. I basketball career was over? 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 27, 2013, 08:04:53 PM
pointing out that his stats aren't accurate is hardly "hate".  We all love Erik, and I'm sure he has improved, but if it's as much as you say, then why did he do that in a few months and not over the 5 years in Valpo?

I second this.  No one dislikes Erik at all, we are very appreciative of him.  All we were doing was pointing out inconsistencies on his website in regards to his stats.  I would imagine that everyone on here hopes he has a successful pro career.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Draft is tonight.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/draft_eligible_players_2013_10_31.html

I notice one Milwaukee player listed also. I don't immediately remember him.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on October 25, 2013, 11:06:57 AM
Speaking of money, and I hate to put this on our board, but former Butler nemesis Gordon Hayward is set to receive a lot of money:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9875928/gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-talks-contract-extension

Apparently they didn't reach a deal.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9910816/no-new-deals-gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-eric-bledsoe-phoenix-suns

So, he may get paid the $$$, but I guess not until July at earliest.  And maybe not in Utah.

In Hayward's case, sources told ESPN.com that the former Butler star was not seeking the four-year max but did push for a deal commensurate with his standing as the face of Utah's rebuilding effort.

VULB#62

valporun

I saw 3 from UIC on this list. 2 I never heard of, and then Gary Talton.

agibson

I wonder what the significance is of the draft.  Is it a guaranteed invite to a D-league training camp?

More than 180 players will be eligible to be selected in the 2013 NBA Development League Draft, which will be conducted using Cisco's WebEx Meeting Center at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, Nov. 1 from the league's New York headquarters.

Players selected in the eight-round Draft will join NBA affiliate, returning, and local tryout players at each NBA D-League team's training camp, which begin no earlier than Nov. 7.

No trades will be permitted during the Draft and only players signed to an NBA D-League Standard Player Contract are eligible to be selected. The first six rounds of the Draft are mandatory, while teams may opt not to select players in the seventh and eighth rounds.

By my count there are barely more than 180 players.  Maybe 182 or so.  So, six mandatory rounds, 30 teams, means basically everybody gets drafted?

vusupporter

The D-League only has 17 teams.

historyman

Quote from: vusupporter on November 01, 2013, 02:58:35 PMThe D-League only has 17 teams.

So true. Fort Wayne has 6 NBA teams that are affliated with it. Bobcats, Pacers, Pistons, Grizzlies, Bucks and Magic.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Somebody has to follow up on this.

I'm 'live-tweeting' this as i go.

Scott Drew with the #4 overall pick (Pierre Jackson)

Frank Gaines (IPFW) the first pick in the second round

the 12th pick of the 3rd round (still not making this up):  Chief Kickingstallionsims, of Alabama St.  (which makes the guy four picks later, Orion Outerbridge, seem normal).  Speaking of the 3rd round, Scoop Jardine (Syracuse).  whoops. 

4th Round #16 pick, Gary Talton (UIC)!  Another for the ALL-NAME TEAM:  Longar Longar, of OU.  Can't take this much...

5th round, Salim Stoudamire of AZ.  See thoughts above on Jardine.

BLAST FROM THE PAST, Top 6:  DJ Smedley, UIC.  If you don't remember him it's because he last played for them in 2007.  Weird.

Bummer.  No Buggy. :(

valpotx

Wow, that is a surprise that anyone from UIC got drafted into the Development League.  I am assuming that DJ Smedley was playing overseas, and had to enter the draft as he never had before??
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on November 07, 2013, 12:04:05 AMI am assuming that DJ Smedley was playing overseas, and had to enter the draft as he never had before??
Yes.  The Internet Never Forgets:  there is video of him posting a triple-double in Spain.

He was a JUCO who played 18 one year and only 4 the next for them.