• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 07, 2013, 05:35:56 AM
Quote from: valpotx on November 07, 2013, 12:04:05 AMI am assuming that DJ Smedley was playing overseas, and had to enter the draft as he never had before??
Yes.  The Internet Never Forgets:  there is video of him posting a triple-double in Spain.

He was a JUCO who played 18 one year and only 4 the next for them.
http://www.uicflames.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/smedley_dj00.html

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/DJ_Smedley/Denmark/Team_FOG_Naestved/90858

It seems Smedley also played in Denmark in 2010-11.

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Great article.  Personally, I like the new changes.  As much as I love college basketball, I have grown so tired of all the pushing, shoving, hand checking, arm bars, tripping, kneeing, holding, and most of all the ridiculous sliding/falling/flopping.  The worst offender in the HL by far - Cleveland State.  I suspect they are going to have to completely reinvent themselves on defensive. A couple of others - WSU and GB - also come to mind, just not to the same extent.   

talksalot

We chatted with the officials before one of the exhibition games and they are a bit concerned about the "flow" of the games with a ton of fouls and free throws...  I didn't really see a change in our two games... but the scores were up, but lighting up a dozen threes on our side and a 38-point game from the other guys will tend to do that.  It'll be fun to see if any of the long-time officials in the HL have issues calling a tighter game.  At the RMU game, we had three officials who had never been to the ARC, and I thought they called a solid, consistent game.

humbleopinion

Given the number of fouls expected, I hope that the number of the player called for the foul along with the number of fouls will be posted.  I don't know why this has stopped.  John, sometimes  I don't hear what you have to say, and it would be nice to have that information.  The suspended school board Is too far behind to be of use for this.
Beamin' Beacons

historyman

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 08, 2013, 06:07:37 AMGiven the number of fouls expected, I hope that the number of the player called for the foul along with the number of fouls will be posted.  I don't know why this has stopped.  John, sometimes  I don't hear what you have to say, and it would be nice to have that information.  The suspended school board Is too far behind to be of use for this.
Yes, yes! This must change!

Either keep the video board stats up to the second or leave the # and the player's number of personal fouls on the end line scoreboards.

Why did the athletic dept think people wouldn't notice this?

Of course this also goes back to the PA system problems.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

humbleopinion

Beamin' Beacons

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Jay Harris played 36 minutes in Wagner's opening game loss against Penn State.  He was 1-8 from the field, including 0-6 from 3-pt. range.  He did have 5 assists. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: talksalot on November 07, 2013, 09:23:50 PM
We chatted with the officials before one of the exhibition games and they are a bit concerned about the "flow" of the games with a ton of fouls and free throws...  I didn't really see a change in our two games... but the scores were up, but lighting up a dozen threes on our side and a 38-point game from the other guys will tend to do that.  It'll be fun to see if any of the long-time officials in the HL have issues calling a tighter game.  At the RMU game, we had three officials who had never been to the ARC, and I thought they called a solid, consistent game.
Wasn't able to watch the exhibitions, but the Murray State game was plenty enjoyable to watch and most of my disappointment during that game had to do with missed shots and turnovers, not increase in whistles.

If refs are "concerned" about this, it sounds like the new point of emphasis will not last very long -- and I will have no confidence whatsoever that I should be happy about that.

valpospartan

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 08, 2013, 06:07:37 AM
Given the number of fouls expected, I hope that the number of the player called for the foul along with the number of fouls will be posted.  I don't know why this has stopped.  John, sometimes  I don't hear what you have to say, and it would be nice to have that information.  The suspended school board Is too far behind to be of use for this.

The scoreboards suddenly started showing foul info today.   :thumbsup:

valpotx

Richie Edwards only received 12 minutes of playing time in ASU's first game, a 35 point win.  If he is only getting 12 minutes in a game like this, his playing time for the year doesn't project well.

http://www.thesundevils.com/pdf9/2562100.pdf
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

zvillehaze

Quote from: agibson on November 01, 2013, 08:25:24 AM
Quote from: valpotx on October 25, 2013, 11:06:57 AM
Speaking of money, and I hate to put this on our board, but former Butler nemesis Gordon Hayward is set to receive a lot of money:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9875928/gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-talks-contract-extension

Apparently they didn't reach a deal.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9910816/no-new-deals-gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-eric-bledsoe-phoenix-suns

So, he may get paid the $$$, but I guess not until July at earliest.  And maybe not in Utah.

In Hayward's case, sources told ESPN.com that the former Butler star was not seeking the four-year max but did push for a deal commensurate with his standing as the face of Utah's rebuilding effort.

An extension would have been for '14-'15 and beyond ... his '13-'14 salary is set at $3.45 million.  Unless he gets hurt, he should be in line for a good deal after the season.  He's currently averaging close to 20 ppg and had 18 in the 1st half tonight. 

Given that Phoenix (Hornacek) and Boston (Stevens) will have cap space after the year, I think Hayward will get a nice deal after the season.

Smj

Quote from: valpotx on November 11, 2013, 03:46:16 PM
Richie Edwards only received 12 minutes of playing time in ASU's first game, a 35 point win.  If he is only getting 12 minutes in a game like this, his playing time for the year doesn't project well.

Ouch...   I was thinking he'd get some playing time there.    Might not end up to be a great transfer situation for him.

valporun

Quote from: Smj on November 11, 2013, 10:20:45 PM

Ouch...   I was thinking he'd get some playing time there.    Might not end up to be a great transfer situation for him.

Not sure what to think about 12 minutes in a 35-point win? It could be that Sendak is going to use him more, but this game wasn't going to benefit Richie's development.

Smj

I hope he gets a good amount of playing time because i think he is a good player that could benefit a program.    I do remember reading an article that said ASU has a lot more talent than last year.   

And - more importantly during an interview about this year his coach forgot that Richie was even on his team.  (I thought I posted a link to it already but maybe not.)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Smj on November 12, 2013, 06:45:51 AMmore importantly during an interview about this year his coach forgot that Richie was even on his team.
yeah you did.  that was...i mean, wow, right?  worst case scenario:  your coach talks about the upcoming year and doesn't even mention you.

valpotx

Quote from: valporun on November 12, 2013, 01:31:34 AM
Quote from: Smj on November 11, 2013, 10:20:45 PM

Not sure what to think about 12 minutes in a 35-point win? It could be that Sendak is going to use him more, but this game wasn't going to benefit Richie's development.

If you look at the box score, the starters all played 25+ minutes.  Richie received the 7th most minutes, so he is probably second to last in an 8 man rotation in a normal game.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

After LAA mentioned Hrvoje Vucic in a different thread I thought that I should catch up on his progress at Walsh. Last years numbers were not too impressive but he looks to have played well in short minutes against Houghton and Wilberforce (both were blowouts). Against Ohio State in early November he was 2 of 8 from the floor, 2 of 5 from 3, 5 rebounds, 5 turnovers,  and 2 assists in 25 minutes and he managed not to foul out.

I thought that Walsh was going to D-I this year but their schedule still looks to be D-II. What is that all about?

valpotx

I saw that Rossi had 15 points in 15 minutes in Illinois Wesleyan's regular season opener:

http://www.iwusports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=2471&path=mbball
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

Thanks for the Rossi update.   I Bet he will be the best player in their conference.   

valpopal

Stefanie Lang is averaging 36 points & 21 rebounds per game for Olivet College: In a two-game tournament she had 28 points and 27 rebounds in the championship game after getting 43 points and 15 rebounds in the opener, and she was named the tournament MVP:

http://www.olivetcomets.com/sports/wbkb/2013-14/releases/20131116tetom9

VULB#62

Great for her!

BTW I poked around the Olivet Athletic website and checked out facilities (as I usually do) -- gorgeous football/track facility all revamped since 2004-2207.  1152 students, D-III, 22 M&W sports.  Facilities would make Valpo proud.

http://www.olivetcomets.com/facilities/CutlerField/index