• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Good for her!  It just shows how large of a difference there is in talent in women's basketball.  Even at the D-1 level, seeing us lose by 50 to ND, but our team would probably beat Olivet by 30+ as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Looks like Brandon Wood has a new team.  And is tearing it up, averaging 22.1 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 3.3 apg.  And, Firenze seems like a great place to live.  And traveling around Italy to play can't be bad.  But... they're in the Italian third division?  Maybe even fourth?  That seems like it's got to be a step down from Hungary?

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on November 18, 2013, 02:45:09 PM
Looks like Brandon Wood has a new team.  And is tearing it up, averaging 22.1 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 3.3 apg.  And, Firenze seems like a great place to live.  And traveling around Italy to play can't be bad.  But... they're in the Italian third division?  Maybe even fourth?  That seems like it's got to be a step down from Hungary?

Imagine what Brandon is going through. When Washington got hit by the tornado Alec could drive home. Brandon is in Europe and Kokomo took some bad damage too.

Unfortunately Brandon might want to stop in Chicago too.

agibson

From twitter, his family's apparently no longer in Kokomo - but, certainly, it's good to keep the storm-affected in IN in mind as well as those in IL.

His Italian league seems to put up a bunch of streaming video - live and archived.  So, if you want to get your BWood fix...

http://webtv.legapallacanestro.com

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on November 18, 2013, 04:27:24 PM
From twitter, his family's apparently no longer in Kokomo - but, certainly, it's good to keep the storm-affected in IN in mind as well as those in IL.

His Italian league seems to put up a bunch of streaming video - live and archived.  So, if you want to get your BWood fix...

http://webtv.legapallacanestro.com

Ask LAA, it's not whether you still live there or not but the friends you left behind.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on November 18, 2013, 05:05:33 PMAsk LAA, it's not whether you still live there or not but the friends you left behind.

ALSO CHRISTIAN LAETTNER IS THEIR ASSISTANT COACH!?!?!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on November 18, 2013, 05:05:33 PM
Quote from: agibson on November 18, 2013, 04:27:24 PM

Ask LAA, it's not whether you still live there or not but the friends you left behind.

The actual twitter quote was "my fam dont even live there no mo but yea everybody else is coo from what ive seen"

https://twitter.com/BrandonWood30/status/402409189747986432

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 18, 2013, 06:57:42 PMALSO CHRISTIAN LAETTNER IS THEIR ASSISTANT COACH!?!?!
Remember when Christian Laettner visited Valpo his senior year of HS?  We were this close...

LaPorteAveApostle

...what?  you're making that up.  i would've heard about such a thing.  the world would've.

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 19, 2013, 03:09:47 PM
...what?  you're making that up.  i would've heard about such a thing.  the world would've.
Not kidding.  He visited more than once during his HS years!  Would have been a good get for Smith, and for Homer to have on the roster his first four years. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on November 19, 2013, 03:33:41 PMWould have been a good get for Smith, and for Homer to have on the roster his first four years. 
:)

covufan

OK, maybe I embellished the story a wee bit.  He was never at Valpo for a recruiting visit.

The answer is here:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/basketball-women/Media%20Guide%20Info/All-Time%20Roster.pdf

LaPorteAveApostle

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 19, 2013, 07:16:53 PM
...visiting his sister?
Yes.  I used to tell people, especially when Christian was at Duke or the NBA, that he visited Valpo.  Everyone is a non-believer.

LaPorteAveApostle

well, most people who aren't Christian would have to BE non-believers.

valpopal

After the first five games of the season Jay Harris leads Wagner in minutes played per game at 33. His scoring average is 9 points per game. However, his three-point percentage is only at 32% (7-22), which is fourth among his teammates and would be eighth on the Valpo team thus far, only ahead of Jordan Coleman. In fact, Valpo as a team is shooting an excellent 43% from the three-point line. 

valpotx

I don't miss Jay and his 40 foot 3-pointers at all...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Since we were talking about recruits exceeding expectations, how about the ones that most fell short?

Obviously Harris is in the conversation.

I thought Milo Stovall--while a very sharp player--was not up to the hype and early promise.  Maybe that's just me.

valpotx

I liked Milo, and thought he brought a different dimension to our game.  We had our bigs who were true post players, and slashers in Milo and Stalin.  Then again, I have no idea how much hype Milo had before he came to Valpo, as he was a SO when I was a FR.
"Don't mess with Texas"

hoopfan22

Chris Sparks ‏@CoachSparks5 23 Nov
I have accepted an Assistant Coach position w Utah Valley Univeristy. A D1 school w 35,000 students in the WAC conference Please come visit!

valpotx

Congrats to him!  They have had several successful seasons in the past as an Independent, and will do well in the 'WAC'
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpotx on November 11, 2013, 03:46:16 PM
Richie Edwards only received 12 minutes of playing time in ASU's first game, a 35 point win.  If he is only getting 12 minutes in a game like this, his playing time for the year doesn't project well.

http://www.thesundevils.com/pdf9/2562100.pdf

Watching ASU-MQ and Richie hasn't seen the floor in the first half.  Ouch.

valpotx

Yep, he didn't play in a game that mattered, and is averaging 8.8 minutes per game in playing 4 out of 6.  It looks like his hopes of playing at a bad BCS school changed last year when they turned the tide and started to play good basketball  :lol:.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400504475

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/9/arizona-state-sun-devils
"Don't mess with Texas"