• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Power-5 conferences flexing their muscles

Started by wh, December 15, 2013, 07:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on December 15, 2013, 07:29:06 AM
Danger is in the air.  This is getting serious!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10121476/power-conferences-seeking-more-autonomy-ncaa

It's been in the air for some time now.  Crybaby rich people piss me off.  Just put us out of our misery already.  You know you want to do it, you know we can't stop you.

Reminds me of the frequent lunch proprietor of the 12th precinct who found a health department padlock on his establishment because Wojo found a dead fly in his sandwich.  When Barney told him to talk to the HD to find out how much renovation was going to cost, he said, "Great!  You throw me to the wolves, now I gotta go ask them which parts they'd like to eat??????"

The fact that Delany is pleading his case to the little people, I can't help wondering what all that power (as in "Power" conference) really has gotten him.

I dunno, maybe I'm running into a contradiction here, but it sure doesn't feel like it.  I just wish he'd go away.  Either take all the best toys away and go build yourself another playground like we all know you want to do, or stay here and like it.  But either way, SHUT UP.  Do or don't do.  Quit bitchin'.

valpo64

Let the "big boys" go on their own    I'm sick and tired of the $ $ $ thing where recruiting a decent quality athlete who wants to attend college for a good education in addition to enjoying good athletic competition is often overlooked.   There is nothing like mid-major and small college competition where for the most part, athletes are not worried about going pro and attend a school because of academics and quality coaches who have a genuine interest in the athletes over-all well-being. Big time schools and major conferences are getting to the point of being repulsive. 

The amount of $$ being spent on major college athletics, facilities, etc is disgusting.  I realize their programs bring in lots of dollars for their respective schools however it is heading to the point of being out of control if it isn't already.

Amen.                                         Sorry I couldn't help myself.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo64 on December 15, 2013, 03:05:12 PM
Let the "big boys" go on their own    I'm sick and tired of the $ $ $ thing where recruiting a decent quality athlete who wants to attend college for a good education in addition to enjoying good athletic competition is often overlooked.   There is nothing like mid-major and small college competition where for the most part, athletes are not worried about going pro and attend a school because of academics and quality coaches who have a genuine interest in the athletes over-all well-being. Big time schools and major conferences are getting to the point of being repulsive. 

The amount of $$ being spent on major college athletics, facilities, etc is disgusting.  I realize their programs bring in lots of dollars for their respective schools however it is heading to the point of being out of control if it isn't already.

Amen.                                         Sorry I couldn't help myself.
Chalk it up to #sportz

valpotx

Technically, schools like Valpo provide more scholarship money towards individual athletes than most big programs, wouldn't you agree?  The cost of tuition at our school has to be a decent amount higher than most large programs, especially for in-state tuition.  You receive a better education (compared to most power conference schools) as well  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on December 16, 2013, 06:34:16 PM
Technically, schools like Valpo provide more scholarship money towards individual athletes than most big programs, wouldn't you agree?  The cost of tuition at our school has to be a decent amount higher than most large programs, especially for in-state tuition.  You receive a better education (compared to most power conference schools) as well  ;)
Another good point, but it's as much a private vs. public disparity as it is a have vs. have-not disparity.

Either way, though, it's hard to feel anything but anger at the trend rearing its ugly head on the horizon (no pun intended).

wh

valpotx

Gordon Gee is a jack a$$.  I haven't liked that guy since his comment about 'not playing the little sisters of the poor,' relating to a TCU team that would have beaten his school that year. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

The sooner they leave, the better.  Their new conference group can be named "AAU"... Association of Arrogant Universities!

bbtds

Quote from: wh on June 20, 2014, 02:19:54 AM
Transfer rule changes coming, but who makes call?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/06/19/transfer-rule-changes-coming-but-who-makes-call/10964441/
"But in the end, the five high-visibility conferences need to find a solution that meets our needs," he (Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby) said.

This is the kind of entitled thinking that will ruin college sports. Why do these schools feel they are above the rest?

wh

SEC's Slive continues push for Big Five autonomy

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/07/14/secs-slive-continues-push-for-big-five-autonomy/12633321/

Slive said during the SEC's summer meetings in June that the Big Five — which also include the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 — would consider forming a "Division IV" if they weren't granted autonomy on some NCAA governance issues.

LaPorteAveApostle

AHAHAHA FOOLS!  LET them! don't they know Division IV is LOWER than Division III?

/evillaugh.mp3
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on July 15, 2014, 07:48:35 PMShouldn't it be a Division V??
That would be Di-Vision.

I like DIVision m'self.

I blame Indiana State.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

If they are really ready to split with a "give us what we want or we go" attitude, then I would call their bluff. Now is the perfect time to either gain major concessions in exchange for meeting their needs or to threaten to blow up the battleship. The big boys have to realize that a split will not only mean that they can have their own rules but that we can have our own rules also.

Sounds like an opportunity for the mid-major world to man-up and get ready for some jaw to jaw, nose to nose bargaining.

crusadermoe

Hmmm...    On the football side they get all the money they could ever dream about through the new playoffs.   No real gain from breaking off.   

On the basketball side, March madness is the money wagon.    Is March as mad without the smaller schools?   

I think the charm would ebb,....but in reality, they would pull in 80% of what it does now.   Might just be reality.      Hate to say it, but a lot of schools and presidents would likely welcome the chance to dump their D-1 athletic budgets and this would be their perfect excuse because you are cut out of the big money dance and lose the cinderalla lottery ticket factor that warrants staying in the high stakes poker game of D-1.     Had Valpo not made the 1996 tourney and then the 1998 Sweet 16, it would have dropped D-1 by 2000 at latest. 

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on July 17, 2014, 05:07:46 PMHad Valpo not made the 1996 tourney and then the 1998 Sweet 16, it would have dropped D-1 by 2000 at latest. 

I totally disagree. The decision to join D-I was not made just for the chance to win championships. The move to D-I was primarily because our rivals Evansville, Butler, Ball State, etc. had gone D-I and Valpo wanted to compete against these schools.

wh

NCAA Board Hands 5 Biggest Conferences More Power

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ncaa-board-hands-biggest-conferences-power-24884630

If the 16-2 decision stands, there will be striking differences between the 65 largest schools and the more than 280 others in Division I beginning as early as Oct. 1, though few expect change to come that quickly.

justducky

Quote from: wh on August 07, 2014, 02:11:36 PM
NCAA Board Hands 5 Biggest Conferences More Power

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ncaa-board-hands-biggest-conferences-power-24884630

If the 16-2 decision stands, there will be striking differences between the 65 largest schools and the more than 280 others in Division I beginning as early as Oct. 1, though few expect change to come that quickly.
At first glance it would appear that additional power was given to the big-5 in exchange for- well---nothing. That must be one hell of a negotiating team representing us. In exchange for giving them a wider avenue for eventually getting everything they want you have to get something in return. Sounds to me like a cobbled together mess that only duct tapes together a temporary solution. I think some folks need to start thinking a lot bigger!

VULB#62

I posted this (USAToday's coverage) on another related string about the same time as WH posted the ABC link on this string.  Figured I'd move mine  here and blow that one away.

The fat get fatter.   :snore:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2014/08/07/ncaa-board-of-directors-autonomy-vote-power-five-conferences/13716349/

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: justducky on August 07, 2014, 03:27:36 PMAt first glance it would appear that additional power was given to the big-5 in exchange for- well---nothing.
I completely disagree.  For one thing the governance will be much more shared/open than previously. 

For two, and for all, the big schools could have taken their ball and started their own division.  They didn't.  Or at least, aren't doing so yet.

(This would never have happened but for Indiana State, too, btw.)

VULB#62

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 07, 2014, 04:31:55 PM
Quote from: justducky on August 07, 2014, 03:27:36 PMAt first glance it would appear that additional power was given to the big-5 in exchange for- well---nothing.
I completely disagree.  For one thing the governance will be much more shared/open than previously

For two, and for all, the big schools could have taken their ball and started their own division.  They didn't.  Or at least, aren't doing so yet.

(This would never have happened but for Indiana State, too, btw.)

They are moving from a Board of 18 to one of 24.

OLD                                                  NEW
11 FBS Presidents                              10 FBS Presidents
7 FCS and Non football Presidents        5 FCS and 5 Non Football Presidentts
                                                         4 -- 1 each of: Student Athlete, AD, Faculty Ath Rep and Senior Women Rep (whatever that is)

Looks like a lot of lip service that will still allow the FBS schools to do as they want (and they can do that).  IMO Most of the governance is mainly for all of us who are left behind.

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 07, 2014, 04:31:55 PMFor two, and for all, the big schools could have taken their ball and started their own division.
Let em, or at least start the negotiation with that threat.

Like I said someplace on some thread the smalls have to think bigger, stick together like glue, and be prepared for a little bloodshed. Otherwise it will continue to be today-Czechoslovakia tomorrow the world.

I love you Apostle but I hope that you are never sitting next to me on a negotiating table. ;)            I will be out of touch for a short bit so do not expect me to reply on this subject for a while but believe me that there is plenty more that should be said!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: justducky on August 07, 2014, 07:32:25 PMI love you Apostle but I hope that you are never sitting next to me on a negotiating table.
Then I'll have to give you a taste since you'll never know.
The Office - Michael's Negotiation Tactics