• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/9/13 Valpo at UIC game thread

Started by historyman, December 22, 2012, 09:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: chef on January 10, 2013, 12:54:39 AMDon't think I've ever seen a basketball game when a few things didn't boggle my mind. I'll try and post after every game, what went unusually different that night. Erik Buggs stole the opening pass of the 2nd half and went in for an uncontested lay-up; Ben Boggs caught a breakaway pass for an uncontested lay-up. Valpo was officially given ZERO fast break points tonight. On the second possession of the second half, Ryan Broekhoff clearly blocked a shot from the top of the key, with about 1.5 left on the shot clock, as the rebound went loose it was called a shot clocked violation, Broekhoff finished the game with ZERO blocked shots. Then finally, with 2.31 left in the game, Crittle backed down Capobianco, who went down hard, after Bobby hits the floor, Crittle turns and lays it in. The official rules this a three point play opportunity. I'd guess if this film was shown to 20 other major college refs 0 would have called this a three - point play. Here's my sample of 20 - 13 a charge, 5 a block, no basket 1-1, and two no call. Anybody else see this play as a three-point play?

chef, do you ever report these "problems" to the opponents' AD? It would seem easy to fix if the video archives of these games can be reviewed on the HLN.

That's right, UIC wasn't able to and still can't get a full video of the game put up on the HL website.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

chef

I would normally report these to the stat keeper (or SID) if I notice it during the game, but in this case the mistakes weren't spotted until on the way home.

govalpogo

Quote from: historyman on January 11, 2013, 02:37:06 AM
Quote from: chef on January 10, 2013, 12:54:39 AMDon't think I've ever seen a basketball game when a few things didn't boggle my mind. I'll try and post after every game, what went unusually different that night. Erik Buggs stole the opening pass of the 2nd half and went in for an uncontested lay-up; Ben Boggs caught a breakaway pass for an uncontested lay-up. Valpo was officially given ZERO fast break points tonight. On the second possession of the second half, Ryan Broekhoff clearly blocked a shot from the top of the key, with about 1.5 left on the shot clock, as the rebound went loose it was called a shot clocked violation, Broekhoff finished the game with ZERO blocked shots. Then finally, with 2.31 left in the game, Crittle backed down Capobianco, who went down hard, after Bobby hits the floor, Crittle turns and lays it in. The official rules this a three point play opportunity. I'd guess if this film was shown to 20 other major college refs 0 would have called this a three - point play. Here's my sample of 20 - 13 a charge, 5 a block, no basket 1-1, and two no call. Anybody else see this play as a three-point play?

chef, do you ever report these "problems" to the opponents' AD? It would seem easy to fix if the video archives of these games can be reviewed on the HLN.

That's right, UIC wasn't able to and still can't get a full video of the game put up on the HL website.

I'm pretty sure that the full game has been up since yesterday morning...since I watched part of it.  There are no highlights of the game, however, which is much to my own chagrin.

EddieCabot

That's got to be disappointing for Bryce.  He spent an entire timeout drawing up that fast break play for Boggs ... to not get credit for it stinks.  Also, I couldn't find a play-by-play on the UIC site, but on Valpo's website, it shows the Boggs basket as a dunk.  Careless work by someone.

It seems like these issues could be fixed through some communication between the SIDs of the schools.  As historyman points out, there's obviously video to substantiate the claims.

I wonder if this happens elsewhere, or only at UIC?  I'm sure Valpo has support staff traveling with them to these games ... maybe someone should follow the online stats to make sure Valpo is getting credit for things like their fast break points.  Live and learn.

The foul call is obviously a different situation, as it was made by the oncourt officials.  However, I'm sure that Bryce and staff are able to send video of questionable calls like that to the league office to be evaluated.  Can't fix that game, but maybe if LeCrone is aware of it, he'll make sure they get it right the next time.

chef

BTW: The Boggs play showed up as a dunk on the UIC play-by-play log, that's why you see it that way on the Valpo web site. Clearly it was not a dunk.

bbtds

Quote from: govalpogo on January 11, 2013, 08:42:00 AMI'm pretty sure that the full game has been up since yesterday morning...since I watched part of it.  There are no highlights of the game, however, which is much to my own chagrin.

The last 24 seconds of the Valpo at UIC game are not archived even though it comes in 2 parts on the HLN site. Now that is pretty bad. Who watches a replay of a game only to miss the last 24 seconds?

agibson

Funny!  Does that mean they archived... the medium quality feed?  Which might have been far enough behind to miss some game time when they shut the server down?

StlVUFan

Quote from: govalpogo on January 11, 2013, 08:42:00 AM

I'm pretty sure that the full game has been up since yesterday morning...since I watched part of it.  There are no highlights of the game, however, which is much to my own chagrin.
However, at the moment, that is the *only* Valpo game archived.  No Loyola game, no CSU game.

Smj

stlvufan,

ESPN app for my iPad has a few archived games....

Milwaukee
Cleveland state
Murray state
Northern Illinois

(And a bunch of games from last year ... Including our final game - I avoided that one - not really wanting to live that one over.)

StlVUFan

Quote from: Smj on January 13, 2013, 01:03:19 PM
stlvufan,

ESPN app for my iPad has a few archived games....

Milwaukee
Cleveland state
Murray state
Northern Illinois

(And a bunch of games from last year ... Including our final game - I avoided that one - not really wanting to live that one over.)

Thanks, I forgot that the CSU game was on ESPNU.  Actually, I did go back and watch it already.

I'm still waiting for the Loyola game.

Smj

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 13, 2013, 05:09:26 PM
Skip it - who wants to see us lose....

StlVUFan

Quote from: Smj on January 13, 2013, 06:44:08 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 13, 2013, 05:09:26 PM
Skip it - who wants to see us lose....
It should be there, period.