• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/12 Valpo @ UWM Game Thread

Started by talksalot, January 09, 2013, 09:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

The Only Game Preview You Will Ever Need

Teams, records:  you know that stuff already or you're on the wrong site.
where to watch:  yada yada

Relevant info
Tempo-free stats
POINTS PER POSSESSION:  Valpo 1.02 (2nd in HL), Milwaukee .85 (last. by a lot.)
POINTS ALLOWED PER POSS:  Valpo .9 (2nd), Milwaukee 1.03 (9th)
Basically, every 8 possessions, Valpo goes one point up on their opponents; every 11 possessions, Milwaukee goes down two.  Valpo has the best differential in the league, Milwaukee the worst.  But as BigDWSU says, "predictions?  hah!  after all, ze game must be played!".  And then, I imagine, he twirls his mustache.

Possessions per game (tempo):  Valpo 66.2 (4th), Milwaukee 63.5 (8th)
So...if this game were played at Valpo's average, we win by 8; if by theirs, we win by 11.  Your choice, Milwaukee!

eFG%:  Valpo 53% (1st in HL; only Det is over 50% and them just barely), Milwaukee 43.5% (guess.)

Q. Would it surprise you to know that the only tempo-free stat that should give us cause for alarm, the only one that Milwaukee is better than us in, is TURNOVER RATE?  A.  No.  No it would not.  We are last at 23, Milw 8th at 21.6.  Detroit is #1 at 15...

KNOW THINE ENEMY:
DANGERMOUSE:
G PARIS GULLEY, 6'2", 170: (15.6 PPG; 44% 2s / 34 % 3s) is rounding into a dangerous outside threat (18 ppg in last 4, incl. 16 vs. Wisconsin), although he appears above to not have much of a taste for defense.  So of COURSE he shoots less/has a lower usage rate than

PENFOLD
This is no contest, if you've been following PANTHERQUEST 2013.  G JORDAN AARON, 5'10" 160: is #HLPOY2013!  He shoots too much for someone who doesn't shoot well:  39 2s / 32 3s.  He turns the ball over twice as much as anyone on the team (more than Broekhoff and Kenney put together).  So OF COURSE HE LEADS THE CONFERENCE IN % OF MINUTES PLAYED this year, 89% (97.5% in conference games!  If you're not first, you're last, Ray McCallum Jr!)!!!  (He's also not tall, as you can see.)

AND he gets even worse in conference play.  He averages 16 shots per game and gets all of 10.5 ppg for it.  Just for fun, I decided to figure out "points per 40 min played":

JORDAN AARON, HL 2013:  10.77 pts/40
GRIFFYN CARPENTER, 2011-12:  9.1 pts/40

You're welcome.

THE PART WHERE I PREDICT THE SAME THING THAT RPIFORECAST DOES:  Valpo by 12.  85% chance of win today.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Have not seen Milwaukee play so have no idea of the matchup problems or opportunities. Any chance that if we get off to a good start we might see a little Ryan at the 3 in the go big option?

That said, if we don't play this game smart and hard it could be a long bus ride home, because anybody can beat you.

HC

Milwaukee has Ben solid for about the first half then their mistakes catch up with them and they implode...at least that is what has happened when I've watched them.  You are right though, any team can beat you. Especially when you are on the road. I will say Valpo by 17.

Would like to see CSU play physical with Detroit this afternoon.

rink

Our offense came out hot, then UWM switched to a zone after the 16:00 break and we have been playing clueless ever since. Free throw line is wide open for midrange jumpers, but we refuse to take advantage of it.

valpo64

Isn't the UWM game on the Horizon League Network? Or perhaps on Comcast Midwest?

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on January 12, 2013, 01:49:55 PM
Isn't the UWM game on the Horizon League Network? Or perhaps on Comcast Midwest?

ESPN 3

valpo64

oklahomamick

We started to shoot out of the zone towards the end of half. 
CRUSADERS!!!

rink

Mostly because UWM was missing shots on offense and couldn't get set on defense.

bbtds

Suddenly Valpo commits 3 turnovers and Milwaukee has climbed back into this game.  Lead is now down to 14. I don't understand at all why this team doesn't value ball possession. It's extremely frustrating.

oklahomamick

expected win against UWM.  Beat the Vegas Spread of -12. 
CRUSADERS!!!

HC

valpotx

Great game, and one in which we had more assists than turnovers!  I believe that is only the second time this year against D-1 competition that we have done that?  Monster game again from Rowdy.  He just seems to be everywhere so often.  A ball goes off the rim, Rowdy is right there all alone, the next shot goes among the trees, and Rowdy skies over everyone.  Such a fun player to watch, and I still liken him to Lubos in overall game, which is a very good player to be compared to (one of the tops in European basketball)
"Don't mess with Texas"

SadersofthelostArc

I was right about Broeky's double-double, a little off on my Cool Ranch prediction.  May have to start calling him Taco Flavored if he keeps this up....pretty good, but not a delicious performance!

vu72

Watched the entire game an now have it set up so I can watch the Horizon League broadcast on my flat screen and, put the sound feed through my tv as well! (stop laughing--I am old and electronically challenged!)

Rowdy with an All american performance and after watching Ray Jr play the entire game versus CSU, feel strongly that Ryan, at this point, is the POY. Second in scoring to a guy who takes a lot more shots and first (by a fair amount) in boards. Nuff said.

Matt and Will are struggling offensively but Will did one heck of a job on defense.  If either starts playing to their abilities we will be very difficult to stop. I think we are finally gelling!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SadersofthelostArc

BTW, I want to give a huge shout out to my guy Apostle for a wonderful scouting report.  Would love to see more of these in the future.

Also, anyone else find it funny that the guy who started this thread---talksalot---is not here talking up the game (a lot)? lol

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks, man.  Called Dangermouse and Penfold right, but then again, pretty easy with this team.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 12, 2013, 06:59:38 PM
Thanks, man.  Called Dangermouse and Penfold right, but then again, pretty easy with this team.

Granted, those were no brainers, but I think you're being a BIT too modest...;)

swiftmutiny

Had a blast at the game! A good showing on the road today.

oklahomamick

Quote from: vu72 on January 12, 2013, 06:30:07 PMRowdy with an All american performance and after watching Ray Jr play the entire game versus CSU, feel strongly that Ryan, at this point, is the POY. Second in scoring to a guy who takes a lot more shots and first (by a fair amount) in boards. Nuff said.

I agree with you but on the other side of the argument is Ray is 1st in steals and 2nd in assist.   
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on January 12, 2013, 06:39:04 PMAlso, anyone else find it funny that the guy who started this thread---talksalot---is not here talking up the game (a lot)? lol

He wandered past the ESPN camera during the post game.  So, he presumably wasn't available for game day talking-up duties.

talksalot

Hi Folks... Just got back... went to the game with the wife and brother-in-law/wife... did the Wisconsin Cheese Factory, Dinner... and flipped on the forum to check on the CSU Undoing of Detroit...Yes, it was a fun home game today.  The UWM Pep Band playing right into the hands of the VuCruw... sorry,  ValpaRaZone attendants.  My wife said she counted 8 UWM students at the game.  All of the Little Kids in their #6 jerseys were certainly NOT there to cheer on the panthers... it was absolutely a home game for our guys.  BTW, if you were on the non-student charter bus coming back tonight, I had to swerve to avoid your bus pulling out of the Lake Forest Oasis!    Anyway... Nice game for Rowdy...That game on Thursday will be a great one that I'll have to miss in person.   One question... will National Talk like a Pirate Day come to the ARC with Haaaaaarsma comes to down?   Their PA was really playing into the hands of our student section.   and I'm probably the only one who noticed that he said Valpo Ball on our out of bounds' plays.   I was waiting for the Crusader Basketball announcement to make it a complete home game.   I could learn to like the Klotsche Center.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on January 12, 2013, 06:30:07 PMWatched the entire game an now have it set up so I can watch the Horizon League broadcast on my flat screen and, put the sound feed through my tv as well! (stop laughing--I am old and electronically challenged!)

Believe it or not there are probably still a bunch of posters on this board who are your age that wish they had the hardware and the knowledge to do this. I just learned to do this last year and I'm really enjoying it now on my bigger flat screen. Kudos, vu72! You're ahead of the game.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 12, 2013, 08:51:46 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 12, 2013, 06:30:07 PMRowdy with an All american performance and after watching Ray Jr play the entire game versus CSU, feel strongly that Ryan, at this point, is the POY. Second in scoring to a guy who takes a lot more shots and first (by a fair amount) in boards. Nuff said.

I agree with you but on the other side of the argument is Ray is 1st in steals and 2nd in assist.   

Don't forget he is 1st in the league in b&tching about calls as well.

We almost didn't mention a very solid looking play by Vashil near the end, when Milwaukee still had in their starting lineup.  He took down the offensive rebound, and put up a decently quick little baby hook shot, that swished through the twine.  Hopefully that is a sign of him improving based on practices and getting more basketball under his belt.  He actually received a close bounce pass for a dunk earlier as well.  He has struggled with those this year
"Don't mess with Texas"