• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/17: Valpo @ Detroit Game Thread oh and lots of giveaways!

Started by HC, January 12, 2013, 09:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

I hate to be the Debbie Downer for this game but I think Detroit rebounds from their loss at Cleveland State and Valpo is overdue for one of their sloppy turnover prone games. Detroit's starters just aren't going to get worn down in a game against Valpo. The Titans may feel the effects of this Valpo game in their next game against UIC but I don't think they wear down in this game.

Valpo      69
Detroit    74

wh

One of the keys to the game - We have to get some 3-pt. scoring from someone other than Ryan and Lavonte.  If the combination of Bogan, Boggs, Kinney and Coleman has one of those 1-13 games, we're probably going to lose.  If they hit even 3 or 4, that 9-12 points will be the difference between a 5-pt. loss and a 5 pt. win.

The outcome of this game is almost completely in our hands.  If we keep our turnovers down and shoot the ball well, it really doesn't matter what Detroit does. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: vu72 on January 17, 2013, 09:28:47 AM
If you concede that Ray Jr. and Ryan are a push talent wise and effect on the game wise (I don't) and say that Minnerath and KVW are a push, then the difference in the game comes down to the rest of the team. Detroit lacks depth and we don't. Will our playing 9 wear them down? Can any of our guys get hot and hit some 3's? 

I presume there will be a decent crowd, who knows, but I'm betting that we matchup well and much better than last year because they are not nearly as big inside.  With Bobby and KVW anternating I expect some open looks.  If we can play within ourselves and not allow a track meet, we win.  If it goes to sreet ball they win.
That's going to be a stern challenge, because I think the character of this year's Valpo team is to push in transition.  I think Bryce has a slightly higher tolerance level for transition turnovers than we do.  I see guys constantly looking to make an upcourt pass for a possible fast break where they have to thread the needle a bit.  I'm not talking about LaVonte Dority driving 1-on-3 and getting easily stuffed over and over again, obviously.  I'm talking about someone like Wil Bogan seeing Ryan Broekhoff the way Jay Cutler sees Brandon Marshall and decides to risk the pass even though he's not literally all alone in the front court.

Bryce may not be as reckless as Paul Westhead of LMU fame, but I get the impression he's been coaching his team to constantly push in transition.

My fear is this might play right into Detroit's hands.

wh

Remember what happened when we tried to slow the tempo against New Mexico - holding the ball until late into the shot clock, off-balance desperation shots, forced 3's, and a gazillion TO's from "over" handling the ball.  Ours is a team of rote.  We do far better when we don't try to do anything outside our comfort zone.   

valpotx

If you are on our men's team, you have the games against Detroit circled this year.  Not just because of them being picked 1 or 2 in the pre-season polls, but because of the crap they pulled last year in the title game.  As a man, and as a competitor, you don't let them forget the POS thing that Ray did at the end of the game, or what some fans did around your campus.  Instead of using your fists, punch them in the mouth with quality shots from the start.  This is in addition to the motivation of getting beat down by 20 on national TV on your home court, in the most important game of your season last year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

Valpo 72
Detroit 12 
(This might be wishful thinking...)

Valpo89

HC

Quote from: wh on January 17, 2013, 11:37:34 AMRemember what happened when we tried to slow the tempo against New Mexico - holding the ball until late into the shot clock, off-balance desperation shots, forced 3's, and a gazillion TO's from "over" handling the ball.  Ours is a team of rote.  We do far better when we don't try to do anything outside our comfort zone.   

This team is playing much better then the team we watched play against New Mexico.  You dont' have to drain a shot clock to slow down the tempo.

valpocleveland

F ESPNU. Thought I could stream tonights game from Horizon Network or ESPN3. Nope, it is blacked out since it is on the U.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valposter

#15 Buggs is horrible.  Valpo would not have a turnover problem if not for Buggs.  He is a point guard who can't score and turns the ball over.  I don't know how Buggs continues to start.  We are so much better with Buggs out and Dorrity in.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Smj

I hate espn's policy when a game is on espnU and espn3....   I called them last time and the guy said he thinks the policy makes sense....   DUMB!!!

truth219

Out scouted so far. They are getting better looks on offense and on defense if you double dority...he coughs the ball up

covufan

Quote from: Valposter on January 17, 2013, 06:25:59 PM
#15 Buggs is horrible.  Valpo would not have a turnover problem if not for Buggs.  He is a point guard who can't score and turns the ball over.  I don't know how Buggs continues to start.  We are so much better with Buggs out and Dorrity in.
Not saying your wrong, but at the 4:50 mark in first half, Dority has three TO's, Buggs only 2.  I don't have their TO/min, but I think Buggs starts for his overall coordination of the offense.  He certainly is no scoring threat.

covufan

I don't think we'll continue with 42% from the field and 12.5% from 3pt land, and I'm sure they won't stay at 69%/60%.  I do hope that we continue with 100% FT, and Detroit with 16% FT.

valpotx

It is absolutely pathetic how we look right now.  Buggs looks so defeated when teams play off of him, like they aren't going to know you can play 5-on-4 against us if you play off of him.  I've said it before about this team, but they need to NUT UP, especially Buggs.  If you can't make a wide open 3 at the D-1 level when they are 10 feet away from you, you don't need to be playing in games where they sag on you.  I could nail those all day long, it's just like shooting in the gym all alone!  Be a man, son
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Quote from: covufan on January 17, 2013, 06:41:10 PM
Quote from: Valposter on January 17, 2013, 06:25:59 PM
Not saying your wrong, but at the 4:50 mark in first half, Dority has three TO's, Buggs only 2.  I don't have their TO/min, but I think Buggs starts for his overall coordination of the offense.  He certainly is no scoring threat.

If Bugg's big contribution is "coordination of the offense", then he isn't contributing anything because this offense isn't coordinated.....completely out o sync.  Buggs could be the only man on the court and he couldn't score.  He is so frustrating to watch.  He passes up wide open shots to drive into a double-team only to get rejected.  Uhgggggg!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

bbtds

Yes, we are having a turnover issue but don't you think the fact that Nick Minnerath has missed one shot all nigh, 8 for 9 from the field with 3 threes with 21 points has a lot to do with Valpo being down by 18 at the half?

truth219

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

4 minutes into half and we have four team fouls to detroit's zereo
CRUSADERS!!!