• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/23 Green Bay at Valpo Thread

Started by talksalot, January 19, 2013, 10:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

Good win, plus a WSU loss.  Good night for the ol' Brown and Gold!  The boys have been tested this last week and survived the runs, making their own just that much bigger!  There's a winning instinct on this team...and I like it! We've just passed Florida and Boise St. in the student section competition btw to move to 13th.  Don't forget to vote again tomorrow!

vu72

I have dish and it worked fine although it asppeared the lens had been smeared by butter.  Tough game against a team that fight hards and guards well.  Nonetheless, Ryan finds his way and Kevin, who has  history of doing poorly against Brown, finds a way.  tough, yet effective win and now a clear one game lead!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Quote from: a3uge on January 23, 2013, 08:10:43 PMWe've just passed Florida and Boise St. in the student section competition btw to move to 13th.  Don't forget to vote again tomorrow!

Can you vote more than once?
CRUSADERS!!!

govalpogo

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 23, 2013, 09:24:41 PM
Quote from: a3uge on January 23, 2013, 08:10:43 PMWe've just passed Florida and Boise St. in the student section competition btw to move to 13th.  Don't forget to vote again tomorrow!

Can you vote more than once?

You can vote once per day. 

oklahomamick

good win.  Ryan didn't have much going until the end of the 2nd half.  Its a good sign that we can still control a good team despite our star not having the best game.  I thought we would strungle against their zone, but did just fine. 

The foul on Kenny right before half was not wise but he probably knows it and would say he shouldn't have....other than that, 1st place!!!
CRUSADERS!!!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 20, 2013, 05:43:17 AM
I hope our defensive scheme does not include Buggs guarding Brown in the post.  Switching in a man-to-man sometimes has unfortunate results...

The one time I noticed this Brown actually missed the layup. Derp.
#CrusadersForever

bbtds

8 turnovers, 13 assists. 6 big threes. one each from Buggs, Bogan, Kenney, Capo, Coleman and Broekhoff.

Dority shot 3 threes but unfortunately he never made one. Dority had 16 minutes playing time tonight. That's the same as Coleman and Capo.

It's so nice to be staying in a good position with our assists to turnover ratio.

Also hitting 6 threes sure helps this team out.  After the way Milwaukee shot threes in the 2nd half of their game at UIC you can see how important those threes are.

valpotx

I believe that is 3 straight games of more assists than turnovers.  I don't want to jinx it, but we seemed to have stopped that dumb, jump before you know what you are doing strategy
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

If not for the hiccup at home against Loyola, we would have a 10 game win streak and undeafeted in conference play with 2 game lead.

But will settle for a 6 game win streak and 1st place after 40% of conference schedule completed.  Tough road games against Wright State, Green Bay and  ??? await.  Next against YSU will be require full concentration and excecution.  We have a target on our back and will get everyones best game. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpofan11

I thought it was funny when one of the tennis players in the chairbacks was calling Cougill, "Cowgirl". Haha :lol: ;D

KL31NY

Apparent, Wardle was wired for sound. http://bit.ly/WZjbb5 Just posted on the HL site earlier today
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

agibson

Quote from: KL31NY on February 12, 2013, 08:15:56 PM
Apparent, Wardle was wired for sound. http://bit.ly/WZjbb5 Just posted on the HL site earlier today

Fun!  And rather tightly edited.  At least for the most report.

The scouting reports on the wall at ~19 seconds are interesting.  I can't quite make them out.

Rowdy
"Must block him out" and maybe "No easy points"
"Hot close out"

KVW
"Cold close out"

valporun

Quote from: agibson on February 12, 2013, 08:41:07 PM
Quote from: KL31NY on February 12, 2013, 08:15:56 PM

Fun!  And rather tightly edited.  At least for the most report.

The scouting reports on the wall at ~19 seconds are interesting.  I can't quite make them out.

Rowdy
"Pick & Pop 4man- (can't read what it says next to that)
"Scores it off 3's & layups- Make Him play in the post
"Must block him out-No easy points"
"Hot close out"

KVW
"Very physical-Need angles to score-Deep post"
"Sets Ball Screens & something else
"Post hard he will foul us"
"Cold close out"

I checked out this highlight video segment, and could read some of what was there, but had to full screen to make it happen.

agibson

I wonder what a "hot" and "cold" close-out are?

valporun

Probably something about how physical the close-out/box-out has to be to keep Rowdy or Kevin away from the ball on the rebounds. Kevin can be a tad soft, possibly because of his body type and height, while Ryan is all over the court, focused on getting the ball at any cost, so you have to be "hard" on closing him out of the play.

ValpoHoops

Hot-close out long, make him dribble it, don't let him shoot

Cold-close out short, he's not going to make threes, don't run at him and allow him to drive by

bbtds

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 13, 2013, 01:48:14 PM
Hot-close out long, make him dribble it, don't let him shoot

about Kevin maybe? Or maybe Broekhoff?

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 13, 2013, 01:48:14 PM
Cold-close out short, he's not going to make threes, don't run at him and allow him to drive by

about Buggs obviously

ValpoHoops

Ryan was on GB's board as "hot"...they didn't want to allow him to shoot
Kevin was listed as "cold"...no need to run out, he can't make that shot

valpotx

KVW has shown the ability recently to make a shot a few feet out.  Our guys are going against their scouting reports lately, which has helped us out a lot!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but news is that Kam Cerroni, Green Bay's best 3-point shooter, has quit the team. This could weaken them a bit down the stretch and in their game against Valpo:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130214/GPG020110/130214053/Cerroni-leaves-UWGB-basketball-team

agibson

Maybe not their best 3-point shooter this season?  But, playing 21 minutes a game, and taking as many threes as anybody on the team.  Nobody likes to lose a player like that, even if he is a role player.

(OK, if he's messing up the chemistry, maybe he's better off gone, but...)

LaPorteAveApostle

wow...WH or anyone that regularly stops by others' message boards...are GB fans speculating about this? 

the timing--plus his not-inconspicuous role ("It wasn't anything playing-time related. It had nothing to do with playing time.")--makes this so weird.

imagine if Jay Harris had left at this point last year.  that must be what they're going through.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 14, 2013, 09:07:54 PM
wow...WH or anyone that regularly stops by others' message boards...are GB fans speculating about this? 

the timing--plus his not-inconspicuous role ("It wasn't anything playing-time related. It had nothing to do with playing time.")--makes this so weird.

imagine if Jay Harris had left at this point last year.  that must be what they're going through.

Yeah, at least Jay waited until the Miami game to quit on the team. 

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"