• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"What if..."

Started by wh, June 10, 2013, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I will go with another Czech player, Jiri Welsch?
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on July 02, 2013, 01:37:21 AM
I will go with another Czech player, Jiri Welsch?

tx, you are the best!  YES, that's the name!!   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I thought I remembered a conversation with Lubos where he mentioned something about Jiri and Valpo, so I took the shot :).  In that same conversation, Lubos definitely thought that he was better than Jiri as well.  I believe that even though Jiri played a few years in the NBA, that Lubos has had the better career for both the domestic teams he has played on, as well as the Czech national team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

Jiri proved back in 2002 that European scouting hadn't caught up for everyone in the NBA. After Dirk's success, everyone wanted to find the next European star. Because Lubos played four years in the states, his flaws were exposed. Welsch wasn't subjected to the same scrutiny and the Cavs picked him at 14 I believe. I remember Lubos being happy for his friend, but baffled that he wasn't selected if Jiri was.

Dave_2010

Quote from: Pgmado on July 02, 2013, 09:59:59 AMJiri proved back in 2002 that European scouting hadn't caught up for everyone in the NBA. After Dirk's success, everyone wanted to find the next European star. Because Lubos played four years in the states, his flaws were exposed. Welsch wasn't subjected to the same scrutiny and the Cavs picked him at 14 I believe. I remember Lubos being happy for his friend, but baffled that he wasn't selected if Jiri was.

Welsch wasn't picked by the Cavaliers, but in 2005 they sent their 2007 first round pick to Boston for his services. At the time, the Cavs were in a playoff fight and needed a 3-point threat. Welsch was a complete bust and traded to Milwaukee the following offseason.

valpo84

Was it Jeri Welsch, a Czech who would become a first round pick and later bounced around the NBA. I remember near the end of his NBA career he was playing for the Cavs and we good naturedly yelled at him that Lubos was better when they were teenagers and still was at that time. He turned and pointed at his bench seat in the NBA and smiled back....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo84

Speaking of Lubos, what if in 2001, Stovall doesn't get mono and Valpo beats SUtah in the Mid-Con Championship game?

Or in 2002, if Lubos can hit anything versus Kentucky?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

StlVUFan

Or what if Jason Gardner misses that 3 from the scorer's table and Milo doesn't foul him?

wh

Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2007-08 Edition)
What if Jarryd Loyd never airballed the Butler free throw?

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/