• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-14 Women's Basketball Schedule Released

Started by valporun, September 13, 2013, 12:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

Coach Dorow has announced the 2013-14 Women's Basketball schedule.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/schedule/

It features what seems to be a decent schedule, including a Thursday, November 14th matchup with University of Illinois, so it sounds like my tv will be stationed on BTN two nights in a row. They also face Saint Louis as the regular season opener on the road, plus having Notre Dame, Tennessee Tech, Florida International, Tulsa, South Dakota, and Butler. Should be an interesting season with more question marks than the current crisis in Syria. Should make for a good season of finding out what the women's team will be like with no real indication of the team leader, scorer, rebounder, or all-around floor rat of the Jake Diebler variety.

valpotx

Hopefully we build on last season, and get at least a mid-table finish!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Looking forward to another season, though this one isn't as clear as last when it comes to who's who. It'll be interesting to see how the coaches utilize a predominantly guard orientated squad. Last year I felt we needed to get out and run more than we did, and this year, at least at this point, it seems we need to even more so. I have my ideas about who I think will gravitate to the leader roll, but it will depend on who and how the coaches will play these ladies. My guess is, someone is already showing signs of taking on the roll during practices. We shall see. It looks like we have a good mix of games this season. One bright light is the number of players we have availble starting off.

IndyValpo

I just took a closer look at this schedule and here is what you have for a team that lost 60% of its points and rebounds.

In 2012
2 NCAA participants
6 WNIT participants
1 WBI participant
1 Champion of a conference division
3 sub .500 teams
and either another NCAAA participabt or a team that finished over .500

VULB#62

Are you implying that WBB is going the way that football has gone over the past 3.27 seasons?

valporun

I think the jury is still out on that VULB#62? I don't want to see women's basketball trend that way, but until we have a full slate of Dorow recruits, I'm not sure how to evaluate her schedules just yet.

jack

Talk about a snake bitten team. Just saw an article in the NWI that says Carr is out indefinitely, due to an automobile accident. What a shame.

http://m.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/vu-s-carr-out-indefinitely-after-auto-accident/article_3c774e0a-3794-5eda-b620-209e8576a6e6.html

covufan

Quote from: jack on September 30, 2013, 09:44:48 AM
Talk about a snake bitten team. Just saw an article in the NWI that says Carr is out indefinitely, due to an automobile accident. What a shame.

http://m.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/vu-s-carr-out-indefinitely-after-auto-accident/article_3c774e0a-3794-5eda-b620-209e8576a6e6.html

Paul Oren tweeted something about Kuramata having a bad week during the game on Saturday.  Glad to hear both are OK.  With Carr being the third most experienced returning player (in a VU uniform), this will be a big loss for the season.  Wish her a successful recovery.

valpopal

I saw Carr at the football game on Saturday. Her right arm was in a very restrictive sling, but she was in one of the front rows cheering for Tanner and the team. I wish her a full and quick recovery.

jack

Actually I believe it is her left hand and arm that was hurt, from what I've been told. Of course when your a point, you need them both at 100%. I too wish her a speedy recovery. I agree, her experience will be missed. She's played through some nagging injuries since she's been in a VU uniform, and I have no doubt she'll work her butt off to get healthy and ready to go when the doctors give her the green light. As in the past couple of years, I'm sure when she's not in, she'll be the squads biggest cheerleader. 

valpotx

Looks like Mallory Ladd had a good 1/2 season with Evansville last year, even though they were just about as good/bad as we were (9-21, 7-11 in conference).  She would have been so good for us if she had stayed.

http://www.gopurpleaces.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3095&path=wbball
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Ladd showed some promise here, but ultimately, her game would have suffered as she just wasn't comfortable being away from home. I doubt she would have had the numbers here as she has down there. would have been nice to find out though. She was a presence inside, which we will be missing now.
That was a tough recruiting class for the VU women. Ladd was gone after a few games, they lost Scott midway through with an ACL injury, and now, it would appear, that Carr will be sidelined for what most likely will be the season.

KL31NY

Keep in mind, Ladd became eligible near the end of non-conference play, so most of their wins came once she started playing. UE also had some injuries last season, Ladd included as MVC play went along.

I'm curious to see how this year's team plays. I covered the women's team extensively as a junior and senior, and Carr and Horton are the only players I saw in action for Valpo during my time at school that are still here (Richardson sat out in her first year, my final year at Valpo).
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

IndyValpo

Speaking of former players Maegan Calloway may have found her level of play....her first two games with IUSB (NAIA) she is averaging 25-12!

valpotx

Sounds like a good fit for her!  I believe that is where Evva Comans also found success
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Is IUSB still coached by former Valpo assistant Steve Bruce?

historyman

Quote from: valporun on November 01, 2013, 12:55:32 PMIs IUSB still coached by former Valpo assistant Steve Bruce?

Yes, they are.

http://www.iusbtitans.com/coach/0/2.php

QuoteHead coach Steve Bruce enters his eighth season at the helm of the IU South Bend women's basketball program. In 2012-13, he led the Titans to a 15-17 overall record and a 9-13 mark in Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference play.

Under his leadership, the Titans have seen great improvements as a team - both on the court and in the classroom - and several players have earned conference and national honors for their play and both the 2007-08 and 2008-09 teams were named to the NAIA Scholar Teams list.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

jack

It was nice to get a look at some of the new talent we'll be seeing this season. Granted, the opponent wasn't up to snuff with the teams we'll be facing this year, but it was good to get the juices flowing and get the younger ladies invovled. I'm sure they were getting tired of beating up on one another.
We may have gotten more questions than answers as to how the season will unfold. Got some great effort out of the returning ladies.

historyman

Quote from: jack on November 06, 2013, 07:54:30 AMIt was nice to get a look at some of the new talent we'll be seeing this season. Granted, the opponent wasn't up to snuff with the teams we'll be facing this year, but it was good to get the juices flowing and get the younger ladies invovled. I'm sure they were getting tired of beating up on one another. We may have gotten more questions than answers as to how the season will unfold. Got some great effort out of the returning ladies.

Sharon Karungi sure is a force to be reckoned with under the basket. The Ugandan had 23 points and made 5 of 6 FT's. Weidemann hit 5 three's and scored 20 points. Charae Richardson scored 18 points all in the first half including 6 of 8 FT's. Abby Dean had 13 points with 3 threes and Lexi Miller had 8 points all on twos most of them in the second half. I was a little disappointed that Liz Horton only had 4 points since she is the other senior on the team.

It's evident that Karungi has replaced Gerardot quite well underneath and the young players coming back are developing well. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

jack

Quote from: historyman on November 06, 2013, 10:58:46 AM
Quote from: jack on November 06, 2013, 07:54:30 AMIt was nice to get a look at some of the new talent we'll be seeing this season. Granted, the opponent wasn't up to snuff with the teams we'll be facing this year, but it was good to get the juices flowing and get the younger ladies invovled. I'm sure they were getting tired of beating up on one another. We may have gotten more questions than answers as to how the season will unfold. Got some great effort out of the returning ladies.

Sharon Karungi sure is a force to be reckoned with under the basket. The Ugandan had 23 points and made 5 of 6 FT's. Weidemann hit 5 three's and scored 20 points. Charae Richardson scored 18 points all in the first half including 6 of 8 FT's. Abby Dean had 13 points with 3 threes and Lexi Miller had 8 points all on twos most of them in the second half. I was a little disappointed that Liz Horton only had 4 points since she is the other senior on the team.

It's evident that Karungi has replaced Gerardot quite well underneath and the young players coming back are developing well. 
As I said, I think it was a good outting to get things going. We won't see those numbers though against a more formidable apponent. Karungi is certainly a huge plus underneath. I think Horton will come around. I believe she's coming off of an injury she got in camp.
This weekend will be a good indicator of where we are, and what we need to work on. I feel we will miss Tab as we move forward into the season. I think we will also miss Carr and her experience and floor awareness when we get into league play against pressing teams.
It was good seeing these ladies knocking down shots. There wasn't a lot of that last season for sure.

historyman

Quote from: jack on November 07, 2013, 09:04:12 AMAs I said, I think it was a good outting to get things going. We won't see those numbers though against a more formidable apponent. Karungi is certainly a huge plus underneath. I think Horton will come around. I believe she's coming off of an injury she got in camp. This weekend will be a good indicator of where we are, and what we need to work on. I feel we will miss Tab as we move forward into the season. I think we will also miss Carr and her experience and floor awareness when we get into league play against pressing teams. It was good seeing these ladies knocking down shots. There wasn't a lot of that last season for sure.
Karungi is working alone. Tab always had Gina Lange. IMO Lange will be the player we miss the most.