• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coaching Rumors

Started by HC, March 24, 2015, 09:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

Ames, IA may be somewhat conservative, but it is not nearly as conservative as College Station, TX. The vast majority of ultraconservatives in Texas come from A&M (certainly not from UT-Austin). Most college towns in conservative states are more liberal than the rest of the state (i.e. Lawrence) and I would argue that Ames is much more like Lawrence than it is like College Station.

That said, if Iowa State was interested in Bryce I agree that he would need to consider it. Hoiberg left a great program for his successor and they have wonderful fan support up in Ames. However, I would guess that he does not want to play his brother's team two or more times each year.

usc4valpo

Bryce is getting publicity as the next up and coming coach, which is great.  But he is not ready for Iowa State quite yet. He has not won a big game as coach that validates him to go to the next level.

I am just glad for him that he stayed away from the DePaul job.

wh

So, you're saying that had we upset Top 20 Maryland instead of losing by 3, he would "be ready?"  That's the litmus test?

usc4valpo

that would finalize the deal since he got the result. Wins over Woogie Boogie do not cut it for a job at Iowa State.

a3uge

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 03, 2015, 02:29:47 PM
that would finalize the deal since he got the result. Wins over Woogie Boogie do not cut it for a job at Iowa State.

So which teams in the NCAA tournament exactly did Greg McDermott, Fred Hoiberg, Wayne Morgan, Larry Eustachy, or Tim Floyd beat before coaching Iowa State?

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 03, 2015, 02:29:47 PMWins over Woogie Boogie do not cut it for a job at Iowa State.
Hoiberg didn't even have a win over Woogie Boogie.  Yes, ISU should be looking for someone with experience.  I would think that experience in assessing the players at hand, including recent injuries, and adjusting the coaching to fit the strengths of the players would do well with the team they have in place.

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on June 03, 2015, 03:26:57 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on June 03, 2015, 02:29:47 PM

So which teams in the NCAA tournament exactly did Greg McDermott, Fred Hoiberg, Wayne Morgan, Larry Eustachy, or Tim Floyd beat before coaching Iowa State?
[/b]

Very good question!  Let's take a look:

Tim Floyd coached at New Orleans!

At the University of New Orleans, Floyd tallied a 127–58 mark in six seasons as head coach. During his tenure, UNO advanced to postseason play five times, including two NCAA Tournament appearances in 1991 and 1993 and the NIT three times. At UNO, Floyd averaged 21 wins a season. Floyd is one of only four Division I coaches who have won four conference championships in the first five years at their school. In his final season at New Orleans in 1994, the team finished 20-10. Floyd reached the 20-win plateau for the sixth time in eight seasons, and UNO made its seventh postseason appearance in eight years.

McDermott was at UNI before going to Iowa State and never even won a conference title.  He did go to three NCAAs and lost all  three in the first round.

Larry Eutstachy was at Utah State, won two conference titles and made it to one NCAA tourney, losing in the first round.

I can't go on.  This is so depressing realizing that Bryce is at least as qualified as these dudes and has NBA experience, something that Fred had and what they were looking for.  Ugh...Let's hope they go with Hornecek.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Hoiberg had NBA management experience and is an Ames native who is beloved. It is a little different.

I may take back my comment - but I would like to see Bryce have a win over a big name school. Cripe, the Saders could not even defeat weak Missouri and New Mexico teams last year. I think he will go to next level soon - he can made headway in 2015-16 with a very talented team and improve his resume.

wh

Jeff Hornacek's agent denies report his client declined ISU meeting

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25203992/jeff-hornacek-declines-to-meet-with-iowa-state-about-coaching-vacancy

Meantime, sources told CBSSports.com that Stephen F. Austin's Brad Underwood, Valpo's Bryce Drew, Murray State's Steve Prohm and Iowa State assistant T.J. Otzelberger remain under consideration.

usc4valpo

I would bet that T.J. will get the position and keep the momentum going for the Cyclones, as long as they do not face UAB....

a3uge

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 03, 2015, 06:45:05 PM
Hoiberg had NBA management experience and is an Ames native who is beloved. It is a little different.

I may take back my comment - but I would like to see Bryce have a win over a big name school. Cripe, the Saders could not even defeat weak Missouri and New Mexico teams last year. I think he will go to next level soon - he can made headway in 2015-16 with a very talented team and improve his resume.

Yes, if only Bryce defeated a 200 RPI team, he'd be penciled into the job already.

a3uge

The university should really bump up Bryce's salary so they get a bigger chunk of buyout money when he eventually leaves. I'm not sure if Bobby Hurly ever signed a new contract with UB, but they had the right idea.

wh

Whether now or a year from now, Bryce's days at Valpo are numbered. He is one of the hottest commodities in college basketball right now. Add another 25 wins, conf. championship and NCAA appearance to his resume next season, and he'll become the most sought after mid major coach in the country.

It's probably also a good time to put our wishful thinking to bed about how Bryce wouldn't take a position in the same conference as Scott, or he wouldn't want to go somewhere where he couldn't publicly live his faith, or how becoming an instant millionaire wouldn't interest him.

classof2014

I posted this a year or two ago when Bryce was a candidate for the Tulsa job.

QuoteThe one thing I'd hate to see happen to a guy like Bryce is if he were to jump to a bigger program in the B1G, Big 12, Pac 12, etc.. and the team is unsuccessful in his first 3 to 4 seasons and Bryce is subsequently fired. Chances are he'll end back in a Mid-Major program, perhaps a program that is not at the same quality as Valpo. Obviously if he's successful at the next level, it'll do great things for him but the next level is extremely competitive when it comes to coaches and patience is no longer a virtue up their.

So let's look at the positives at staying at Valpo

- Job is secure
- He has been successful
- He is a beloved figure in town
- He has strong roots in Valpo
- Much of his family lives in the area
- Quality Mid-Major prgram

Negative at staying at Valpo

- No matter what we do we will never be consistently at the level of the Kansas's, Kentucky's, Ohio State's, etc...
- If the basketball program takes a turn for the worse his chances of moving up decrease drastically
- Less money
- Mid-major program

Positives of going to a bigger program

- More money
- Better opportunity to win a national championship
- Much more recognizable
- If successful perhaps he can get into the NBA as a coach
- Top-tier recruits
- Better facilities

Negatives of going to a bigger program

- Less secure
- More likely to get fired
- Perhaps end up at a lower level mid-major program
- Media coverage
- Harsh world

Staying at Valpo has its positives and negatives and so does going to a bigger program. If he waits perhaps that door will close if Valpo doesn't get back to the form it was in 2011/2012 and 2012/2013. As many know those big programs are high risk high reward, if he's successful he can truly become a basketball god but if not they'll leave him on the side of the road and move on. I'm glad he's at least staying around for another year and who knows perhaps he does stay here for the full 10 years of his contract. It can't hurt to shop around as you never know when that perfect opportunity will present itself and it's obvious that Bryce isn't leaving unless it's a perfect opportunity. Since he has had a chance to go to bigger programs and has chosen to stay at Valpo.

Obviously, I hope he stays at Valpo but if he moves on I will wish him well and root for him to succeed.

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on June 04, 2015, 10:08:50 AM
I posted this a year or two ago when Bryce was a candidate for the Tulsa job.

QuoteThe one thing I'd hate to see happen to a guy like Bryce is if he were to jump to a bigger program in the B1G, Big 12, Pac 12, etc.. and the team is unsuccessful in his first 3 to 4 seasons and Bryce is subsequently fired. Chances are he'll end back in a Mid-Major program, perhaps a program that is not at the same quality as Valpo. Obviously if he's successful at the next level, it'll do great things for him but the next level is extremely competitive when it comes to coaches and patience is no longer a virtue up their.

So let's look at the positives at staying at Valpo

- Job is secure
- He has been successful
- He is a beloved figure in town
- He has strong roots in Valpo
- Much of his family lives in the area
- Quality Mid-Major prgram

Negative at staying at Valpo

- No matter what we do we will never be consistently at the level of the Kansas's, Kentucky's, Ohio State's, etc...
- If the basketball program takes a turn for the worse his chances of moving up decrease drastically
- Less money
- Mid-major program

Positives of going to a bigger program

- More money
- Better opportunity to win a national championship
- Much more recognizable
- If successful perhaps he can get into the NBA as a coach
- Top-tier recruits
- Better facilities

Negatives of going to a bigger program

- Less secure
- More likely to get fired
- Perhaps end up at a lower level mid-major program
- Media coverage
- Harsh world

Staying at Valpo has its positives and negatives and so does going to a bigger program. If he waits perhaps that door will close if Valpo doesn't get back to the form it was in 2011/2012 and 2012/2013. As many know those big programs are high risk high reward, if he's successful he can truly become a basketball god but if not they'll leave him on the side of the road and move on. I'm glad he's at least staying around for another year and who knows perhaps he does stay here for the full 10 years of his contract. It can't hurt to shop around as you never know when that perfect opportunity will present itself and it's obvious that Bryce isn't leaving unless it's a perfect opportunity. Since he has had a chance to go to bigger programs and has chosen to stay at Valpo.

Obviously, I hope he stays at Valpo but if he moves on I will wish him well and root for him to succeed.

Great post!

covufan

Quote from: classof2014 on June 04, 2015, 10:08:50 AMObviously, I hope he stays at Valpo but if he moves on I will wish him well and root for him to succeed.
Ditto

wh

If this were to happen, the next thing to sweat out will be whether AP and RP go with him.

vu72

we're safe!  Just kidding.

This article from yesterday lists Hunter and Prohm as key possibilities.       http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/6/3/8722969/iowa-state-basketball-coaching-search-lindsey-hunter-steve-prohm-brad-underwood-2015

And a poll of fans shows Bryce in 4th out of 6 with Hornacek and Otzelberger way out in front.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

classof2014

My guess is ISU will go with Otzelberger, they have a Top 10 caliber team and I don't think anyone would leave if Otzelberger is the coach. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Do I think Bryce will leave this year? No.

Do I think Bryce will leave? Yes.

valpopal

CBS Sports reporting Prohm will be the selection. If true, it looks like Bryce will be back with a stacked team for the new season.

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on June 08, 2015, 10:42:16 AM
CBS Sports reporting Prohm will be the selection. If true, it looks like Bryce will be back with a stacked team for the new season.
[emoji1] Fantastic news, but wow was that close? I'm wondering if Bryce was in play. Prohm took Murray State to the 2nd round in his first year, but this was with Isaiah Canaan and a stacked roster. He was only 1-4 for tournament appearances in a weak conference. But finding Cam Payne was definitely impressive.

valpopal

Now that we know Bryce is returning, we can focus on other more humorous coaching news. When he traveled to Poland as coach of the AIA team, which includes Jubril and Max, for a week of games against international competition, Roger Powell apparently was apprehended by police for questioning.  ::)

[tweet]606828056301457408[/tweet]

As for the team, they beat the Belarus U-20 team by a score of 82-49.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on June 08, 2015, 12:54:42 PM
Now that we know Bryce is returning, we can focus on other more humorous coaching news. When he traveled to Poland as coach of the AIA team, which includes Jubril and Max, for a week of games against international competition, Roger Powell apparently was apprehended by police for questioning.  ::)

[tweet]606828056301457408[/tweet]

As for the team, they beat the Belarus U-20 team by a score of 82-49.

Wurde der ehrwürdige für einen Unfall nicht die Berichterstattung festgenommen?