• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/22 - Wright State @ Nutter Center

Started by talksalot, January 18, 2016, 07:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

I should probably wait till tomorrow before posting again, but I just feel like venting so here it goes...

This of course is not the end of the world and all that good stuff, but it is the end of what could have been a season for the ages - a chance to be ranked in the Top 25 for the 1st time in history, a chance for a seed in the top half of the bracket, a chance to make the tournament as an at-large if we lose the HL tournament, and our best chance to win a game or 2 in the Big Dance.  All gone - just like that.  We were a cat with 3 lives after the Ball State and Belmont losses, but mid majors from crap conferences like ours don't get 4 lives. If we could just once - just one time - emulate what Butler did when they were in our shoes - run the table, get ranked, receive national recognition - but we just can't. 

So, it's time to get back to our usual hopes and dreams - win the league if we can, get 1 of the top 2 seeds in the HL tournament if we can, make that gawd-awful journey to Crime City USA with 499 other hardcore Valpo fans for weeknight semi's and finals (unbelievable), win a tournament that's rigged in favor of 2 local teams if we can, and pray for a 12 or 13 seed.   

oklahomamick

Sucks.  We have to win the conference tournament on a neutral floor.  Most talented team we have had in years but little room for error. 
CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

This was the kind of game I was expecting on the 8th up in Rochester.

From that 70-footer, to a bunch of other things, I think WSU should hit the slot machines later, but seriously, we did not react to their intensity very well.

The only call I was pissed about was when Vashil got plowed on the baseline and was called for traveling in the 2nd half.  I can believe that they got away with some stuff, but that was the only one I saw.

Honestly, Chris Collins' sidekick does sort of fit the ambiance of the place.  I paid my first visit to the Nutter Center this year and it is an intimidating place.  Just the layout is kind of unfriendly to a visiting fan, I thought.  I walked up a ramp to go to my seat and someone had to point out that the ramp doesn't take you anywhere but the handicapped section, so I had to walk back to the end of the court and go up the stairs to get to the 2nd level.  During the player intros, the video shows Karina kissing his bicep (lol).  The PA announcer has a snarl to his voice.

But of course, I listened to Todd and Aaron for my pbp, so I missed that part ;)  I also won't go back to watch the first half, which took place while I was finishing up at work and driving home.

It does kill the buzz the season was taking on for me.  I was starting to dream dreams.

I would hesitate to call this a "bad" loss, though.  WSU was decimated by injuries for awhile, and since they've gotten healthy, they are 9-1.  Their RPI was 131 or something, that's outside the top 100 but it's hardly bad.  They've been playing really well, and they caught us on an off night.  I would say we played a substandard game and still almost won.  They could have buried us a time or too, but didn't until the very end because we had to keep fouling Thomasson.

StlVUFan

P.S. Is there some way I can tell this message something along the lines of "I don't give a fig how many people have posted replies since I started typing this, POST IT ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"   :crazy:

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2016, 08:32:55 PM
I should probably wait till tomorrow before posting again, but I just feel like venting so here it goes...

This of course is not the end of the world and all that good stuff, but it is the end of what could have been a season for the ages - a chance to be ranked in the Top 25 for the 1st time in history, a chance for a seed in the top half of the bracket, a chance to make the tournament as an at-large if we lose the HL tournament, and our best chance to win a game or 2 in the Big Dance.  All gone - just like that.  We were a cat with 3 lives after the Ball State and Belmont losses, but mid majors from crap conferences like ours don't get 4 lives. If we could just once - just one time - emulate what Butler did when they were in our shoes - run the table, get ranked, receive national recognition - but we just can't. 

So, it's time to get back to our usual hopes and dreams - win the league if we can, get 1 of the top 2 seeds in the HL tournament if we can, make that gawd-awful journey to Crime City USA with 499 other hardcore Valpo fans for weeknight semi's and finals (unbelievable), win a tournament that's rigged in favor of 2 local teams if we can, and pray for a 12 or 13 seed.
Pack the bags up, seasons over.

justducky

Quote from: cmack on January 22, 2016, 08:18:48 PMI am of the belief that this is what EVN is. He can certainly play better than this, but I think he disrupts our offensive flow and does not have the scoring ability of any other guard on our team. Beyond his height, what does he offer that our other guards, including Hammink, don't?
Not to pick sides but if Bryce thinks EVN was the better option (over Shane) then I am not going to disagree. Both can be overly aggressive and make me very nervous with their ball handling. Both come in with 1 assist for every 2 turnovers and neither is a great 3 point shooter. So with Shane or EVN you need to pick your poison. Should Max or Darien or Tevonn or Lexus be playing some back up point? That a good question with no easy answer but after tonight it may need to be thought about.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on January 22, 2016, 08:37:44 PM

I never said the "season's over," but the "dream season" is absolutely over, smart ass.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2016, 08:45:20 PM

I never said the "season's over," but the "dream season" is absolutely over, smart ass.
Guess we'll have to wait until next year to turn into Butler, who was just lucky, but is great, but sucks.

valpotx

Vashil had a better assist to turnover ratio than EVN in this game (2:2 vs. 1:4).  Shane was at 2:1.  Even though Shane can play out of control, he is a step quicker than EVN, and we need that in the last 4 minutes.  EVN couldn't get anywhere.  Again, I like him when he is healthy, but he is not at that point where he can play 10+ mpg and be effective.

Hopefully someone can find out why Darien did not play much in the last 10 minutes.  I am so happy to see him shooting like he did last season.  I rightfully bashed his play in non-conference, and it is only fair that I give him props for righting his shot.  Good job Darien!
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Quote from: justducky on January 22, 2016, 08:39:38 PM
Quote from: cmack on January 22, 2016, 08:18:48 PMI am of the belief that this is what EVN is. He can certainly play better than this, but I think he disrupts our offensive flow and does not have the scoring ability of any other guard on our team. Beyond his height, what does he offer that our other guards, including Hammink, don't?
Not to pick sides but if Bryce thinks EVN was the better option (over Shane) then I am not going to disagree. Both can be overly aggressive and make me very nervous with their ball handling. Both come in with 1 assist for every 2 turnovers and neither is a great 3 point shooter. So with Shane or EVN you need to pick your poison. Should Max or Darien or Tevonn or Lexus be playing some back up point? That a good question with no easy answer but after tonight it may need to be thought about.

EVN saved our season last year filling in at point while Carter was out with his toe injury. But I don't think he is all the way back yet and it showed tonight. If he has to play the majority of the minutes at point Sunday, I hope and expect that he will play better.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on January 22, 2016, 08:47:46 PMGuess we'll have to wait until next year to turn into Butler, who was just lucky, but is great, but sucks.

I thought for a second you typed justducky was Butler. I thought justducky was a Valpo fan.  ;D

wh

Quote from: a3uge on January 22, 2016, 08:47:46 PM

Guess we'll have to wait until next year to turn into Butler, who was just lucky, but is great, but sucks.

I said I was just venting. Everything will be fine tomorrow. In the meantime how about putting your condescending "voice of reason" on the back burner for a few hours. Fair enough?

talksalot

Saturday, Feb 13, 7pm.  Hall of Fame night.   The Re-Match.  Can we get a crowd for that one?

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 22, 2016, 08:34:26 PMI would hesitate to call this a "bad" loss, though.  WSU was decimated by injuries for awhile, and since they've gotten healthy, they are 9-1.  Their RPI was 131 or something, that's outside the top 100 but it's hardly bad.  They've been playing really well, and they caught us on an off night.  I would say we played a substandard game and still almost won.  They could have buried us a time or too, but didn't until the very end because we had to keep fouling Thomasson.

If we hadn't lost by 11 I would agree this wasn't a bad loss but we played horrible in the last 6 minutes and WSU played very good. I consider this a bad loss knowing the potential of this Valpo team. In years past I would have not considered this a bad loss. I don't see how you say we almost won when we lost by 11.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 22, 2016, 09:10:17 PM
Quote from: a3uge on January 22, 2016, 08:47:46 PM

I said I was just venting. Everything will be fine tomorrow. In the meantime how about putting your condescending "voice of reason" on the back burner for a few hours. Fair enough?
Condescending Voice of Reason is the name of my folk band.

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on January 22, 2016, 09:07:32 PMI thought for a second you typed justducky was Butler. I thought justducky was a Valpo fan. 
If we keep playing like tonight I might be tempted to jump ship. I didn't think until tonight that Butler would receive a higher seed but now I'm thinking maybe we should all meet up at Hinkle.

HailVU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 22, 2016, 08:25:20 PM
Time for a bold prediction. Assuming Carter does not miss an extended amount of time, we win out. As frustrating as this loss is, sometimes losing a game you shouldn't can be a blessing in disguise. We've played pretty well since the bad loss at Ball State, and I expect this excellent coaching staff to capitalize on this disappointment. General Game thoughts:

The Good: Welcome back DWalk. No I don't know why you didn't play more in the second half either, but if you play this well the rest of the season, having three starter quality bench players (DW, JA, SH) will be an asset going forward. Next, I may be the first one to jump on bad announcing, but I didn't mind the color guy tonight. Yes he couldn't pronounce our name, and cheered like crazy every time they hit a shot, but he called it like he saw it with the fouls and did a good job complimenting our players tonight. He knew our team, what we ran and what we liked to do. I'll take that anyday over most of the guys we've had on the road this year.

The Bad: For what seems like the umpteenth time this year, we failed to match the intensity of our opponent on the road. We may never be the next Butler, but going back to those years Butler dominated the conference under Stevens, they consistently brought a tempo, and an intensity every night. They may have not have run through the conference each and every year, but they were never out hustled, and they were never out thought. We were both tonight. With some of the national shout outs comes a big old bullseye right square between your shoulder blades. I truly didn't think we'd go 18-0 in this conference, but the way we lost this game was very disappointing. Also, this offense is lost without KC. You can squeak by NKU without him, but if he misses some serious time this team will struggle to score.

This loss gives me a little hesitation, but (assuming KC misses < 2 games) not a lot of worry. I like how this team has responded to bad games this year. See you all Sunday!
I agree with this post 100%! Last year on this exact Friday, we had a close and deflating loss in Green Bay but we fought through that, won 10 of our last 11 games including the HL tourney and almost beat Maryland. Step back from the cliff everyone!!! We will be ok! We have a very favorable stretch ahead with next < 200 RPI game as the rematch against Wright State.

I was at the game tonight and myself and my fellow alum around me certainly felt the attitude change when KC got hurt in the second half. He tripped up out of bounds and was laying on the floor and was walked off with no weight being put onto his right ankle/foot. He came back out walking with about 3 minutes left in the game but at that point our team played tight and at some points a bit selfish and that was that. We just do not look the same without KC. I hope that he is ok. I am quite concerned.

Let's just move forward from here. Keep the one game at a time mentality and never let up. Our best case is for both us and WSU to win out and for us to win at the rematch at home and rematch a JLA in the final in March. Then we could probably have a sub-100 RPI WSU team which could certainly help the conference as a whole.

Beat Northern Kentucky! [emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

oklahomamick

From the WSU board.

Valpo fans are melting down. High hopes of an at large bid just got thrown out the window with this loss to us tonight. If we would have made half our layups we would have buried this team. When we play at the Arc I hope we come up with the same results.
Hilarious they thought they would have been an at-large team. I hope we sweep them. Then beat them a third time in the HL Tourney. They are nothing special. Fernandez is a fish out of water at center.

Now i'm pissed.   >:(
CRUSADERS!!!

HailVU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 22, 2016, 10:26:57 PM
From the WSU board.

Valpo fans are melting down. High hopes of an at large bid just got thrown out the window with this loss to us tonight. If we would have made half our layups we would have buried this team. When we play at the Arc I hope we come up with the same results.
Hilarious they thought they would have been an at-large team. I hope we sweep them. Then beat them a third time in the HL Tourney. They are nothing special. Fernandez is a fish out of water at center.

Okie dokie then... They just beat a Top 50 RPI team and we're "nothing special?" That's quite an ignorant and naive comment given some of their brutal OOC losses and their current RPI status...

That type of talk can and will get you in trouble and can only lead to a let down loss to a UIC, NKU, or YSU type of team... Tsk, Tsk. O well, the few WSU fans I interacted with tonight were nice but there's always one in the bunch I suppose once you get behind a computer...

Let's pack the ARC on Feb 13!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 22, 2016, 10:26:57 PM
From the WSU board.

Congratulations Wright State, one step closer to your 16 seed run.

HC

Losing on the road to a decent team happens to everybody. Hope Carter heals quickly. Nice to have a quick turn around.

atkins

Disappointed.  This team, as inconsistent as it is, will be fortunate to get a 14 seed (if we win in Detroit).  I still think we'd be a only a mid-level team in one of the power conferences, and those sorts of teams rarely get into the tourney.  So to that extent, we are fortunate that we are in the Horizon.  Maybe we will come on strong toward the end, but since the Oregon/Oregon State/Rhode Island games, we have not been the same team.

agibson

Before the game I was thinking about the broadcast.  "We're sometimes nostalgic for HLN, but, at least ESPN3 gets the archive up quick!".  Definitely true.  For all the frustrations I have with their browser, ESPN3 let me get the game going as soon as we were home, after some family obligations, and the kids to bed.  But, it lurched to a halt with about twelve minutes to go on the clock, going to a timeout Valpo up 41-39, Bryce trying to break up a Wright State run.

To that point it mostly felt, "OK - Valpo has no offensive flow, not much offense at all except D. Walker going insane from three, but we'll find a flow.  Alec, and either Tevonn or somebody else, will get their points, and we'll be OK, could still win by ten." 

Fought with the ESPN3 browser for probably half an hour.  Would get little teases, a few seconds here and there, a whole minute or three at one point (to realize that, after another two possessions, we went back to timeout), enough to be convinced the recording was in their somewhere. But, eventually gave up...

And, man, somehow we gave up 34 points in those last twelve minutes!

Can't quite tell from the play-by-play, if we started fouling with 1m39 to play, WSU up 63-57, or even later.  I'm not so excited to see two E Vic (missed) threes there in the closing seconds, but I'm sure I'd feel differently if they went in.  He's never been afraid to step up in the clutch....

After Ball State (or Belmont? or both?) people were convinced the magic was gone.  That we'd need to go on a deep run in the conference to get any national attention again. We might be hoping for a weak bubble at this point, but, pull together another six wins (a lot of home games, and two very weak road opponents), cap that off with a win in the Wright State rematch, and we can get the conversation going again.

These guys always had Butler's number too, right?

nkvu

I would have thought that after the fruit jar tec (Ball State) loss the team would have realized that they can't just throw their rep out on the court and the other team would just roll over. With a veteran team you wouldn't think you would have to emphasize this but apparently you do. Hopefully the team having been smacked in the face tonight will respond for the rest of the season and get a double bye for the tournament now that any chance for an at large bid for the big dance is over.