• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Potential NCAA Seeding

Started by ValpoHoops, January 25, 2016, 12:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoHoops

I don't think there's a "deadline" other than the end of the season.

I doubt they paid any sort of retainer, but I'm guessing GCU got a nice guarantee.

sliman

FWIW, both Dickie V and Joe Lunardi said during tonight's telecast of the Virginia-Louisville game that Valpo and similar teams who have achieved at a high level should be rewarded with a spot in the tournament over a mediocre team from one of the power conferences.  Lunardi qualified the statement a bit earlier by saying it depends when these teams lose (e.g. earlier than the tournament finals).  I don't consider either source to be very reliable, but it's nice to hear us get a little love.

agibson

Here are some game notes from November.

http://www.smcgaels.com/pdf9/4138906.pdf?ATCLID=210513633&SPSID=101619&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21400

Grand Canyon's been on St. Mary's schedule, in a strange place, for a long time.

Grand Canyon's evidently a transitional D1, and played in the CIT the last two seasons. They've apparently already made it known publicly they would accept an invite if offered, and their coach talks about wanting to win their last regular season to get some momentum going into the CIT.

justducky

Quote from: agibson on March 05, 2016, 09:08:14 PMHere are some game notes from November.

http://www.smcgaels.com/pdf9/4138906.pdf?ATCLID=210513633&SPSID=101619&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21400

Grand Canyon's been on St. Mary's schedule, in a strange place, for a long time.
This proves that no last minute gamesmanship was involved so my apology to the west coast Gaels.

So either Warren Nolan didn't initially list it on their schedule or my memory is, could, might, ah, hmmm. What were we talking about again?

ValpoHoops

Bids are starting to roll in now...Yale and Austin Peay yesterday.

3 Sunday
3 Monday
4 Tuesday
1 Wednesday

Rooting interests: Teams in dark uniforms (I'll have more on this later!)

wh

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 06, 2016, 08:33:44 AM

3 Sunday
3 Monday
4 Tuesday
1 Wednesday

One of the most important teams to root against is not on the list - South Dakota State. They are the no. 2 seed in the SL tournament behind IPFW, but their RPI of 37 is better than ours. If they win, they would likely go ahead of us because IPFW's RPI is far better than anyone in the HL other than us.

agibson

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 06, 2016, 08:33:44 AMBids are starting to roll in now...Yale and Austin Peay yesterday.

Yale could be dangerous come seeding time. Current RPI 41. Best win "just" Princeton in New Haven, 1-4 against top 50. But their worst loss is @Illinois, RPI 153. Weak on top-100 wins.

Their computer numbers aren't as shiny as Wichita State, but not too bad at KenPom 41. Hopefully only an outside threat, but we've been snubbed before...

ValpoHoops

Rooting Interests for the next couple of days:
(RPI in parenthesis)

Sunday Championships:

Atlantic Sun:
#4 Florida Gulf Coast (215) vs. #7 Stetson (299) - NO EFFECT
(Note: if Stetson wins, North Florida (161) gets the bid)

Big South:
#2 Winthop (126) vs. #4 UNC-Asheville (157) - NO EFFECT

Missouri Valley:
#2 Evansville (90) vs. #4 Northern Iowa (84) - EVANSVILLE
(Evansville has the worse RPI, though UNI has the worse seed. I think UNI has a very strange case for their seed.)

Monday Championships:

MAAC:
#1 Monmouth (50) vs. #5 Fairfield (143) - FAIRFIELD - Get Monmouth out!
#2 Iona (98) vs. #3 Siena (99) - IONA - Help Valpo, keep Iona in top 100

Colonial:
#1 Hofstra (55) vs. #5 William & Mary (67) - WILLIAM & MARY
#2 UNC-Wilmington (63) vs. #6 Northeastern (119) - NORTHEASTERN

Southern:
#1 Chattanooga (61) vs. #5 Western Carolina (175) - WESTERN CAROLINA
#2 East Tennessee State (96) vs. #6 Furman (170) - FURMAM

Tuesday Championships:

Horizon
Um, yeah...

Northeast:
#1 Wagner (181) vs. #2 Fairleigh Dickinson (225) - NO DIFFERENCE

Summit:
#2 South Dakota State is RPI #40, so root against them.
#1 IPFW is RPI #65, so we should stay ahead of them...and it would be good for us...so root for them.

West Coast:
#1 St. Mary's (#37)
#2 Gonzaga (#62)
#3 BYU (#74)
#4 Pepperdine (#134) - GO THEM!

a3uge

Quote from: wh on March 06, 2016, 10:12:14 AM

3 Sunday
3 Monday
4 Tuesday
1 Wednesday

One of the most important teams to root against is not on the list - South Dakota State. They are the no. 2 seed in the SL tournament behind IPFW, but their RPI of 37 is better than ours. If they win, they would likely go ahead of us because IPFW's RPI is far better than anyone in the HL other than us.

Not true at all with South Dakota State - that's not how the selection process works. Their resume is actually pretty crappy, regardless if they beat IPFW or not. A grand total of 1 bracket of 83 on bracket matrix has them rated higher than Valpo.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on March 06, 2016, 12:30:19 PM

3 Sunday
3 Monday
4 Tuesday
1 Wednesday

Not true at all with South Dakota State - that's not how the selection process works. Their resume is actually pretty crappy, regardless if they beat IPFW or not. A grand total of 1 bracket of 83 on bracket matrix has them rated higher than Valpo.

I'm pretty aware of how the selection process works. lol.  But, Hoops spreadsheet slots teams strictly on RPI, thus my comment that if SDSU wins the SL tournament, they would take Valpo's spot as the last 11 seed - on Hoops spreadsheet.   

Take a deep breath and relax. The final list will look completely different than this anyway.  ;)

justducky

Quote from: wh on March 06, 2016, 02:12:39 PMI'm pretty aware of how the selection process works. lol. 
Wait! Now that you have admitted to being a perfectionist just "pretty aware" doesn't cut the mustard. Its totally aware or nothing.  ::)

a3uge

Quote from: wh on March 06, 2016, 02:12:39 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 06, 2016, 12:30:19 PM

3 Sunday
3 Monday
4 Tuesday
1 Wednesday

I'm pretty aware of how the selection process works. lol.  But, Hoops spreadsheet slots teams strictly on RPI, thus my comment that if SDSU wins the SL tournament, they would take Valpo's spot as the last 11 seed - on Hoops spreadsheet.   

Take a deep breath and relax. The final list will look completely different than this anyway.  ;)
Yup - and geography is going to throw out any logic anyways.

valpocleveland

Getting some love from Kellogg and Davis on the CBS post MVC championship show (or whatever it is called).

ValpoHoops

Last update before Horizon League final. Obviously, we have to win that for any of this to be important.

Change to the format today as well, as things "below the line" are now sorted by date...makes it easier (for me at least) to keep an eye on what's coming soon.

As of right now, based solely on RPI, Valpo would slot in as the "worst" of the #11 seeds.

See y'all in Detroit!