• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

02/19/16 Oakland at the ARC

Started by 78crusader, February 17, 2016, 08:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Another terrible job closing out a game, a disturbing trend to say the least:

•We went ahead 80-65 on a Vashil dunk with 4:19 left. From that point to the end of the game, we were out scored 19-6.
•Over that 4+ minutes we were 1-6 FG. Incredibly, 5 of the 6 shots we took were 3's, of which we hit only 1. Who shoots 3's on 4 consecutive possessions when you're trying to close out a game?
•We committed 5 fouls in 4 minutes. That's a pace of 50/game!  I thought the team that's behind is supposed to do all the fouling.
•Tevonn again fouled someone on a 3-point shot attempt. Was that the 3rd time or the 4th that we did that last night?
•We turned the ball over twice in the last 4 minutes, which was about the same number of TO's we committed in the other 36 minutes combined.

The bottom line is we didn't perform any better in trying to close out this game than we did when we choked away the WSU game. In fact, we did worse. The only difference is we had a big enough lead last night to persevere despite our best efforts to give it away.

Sorry to sound so negative after a win, but this situation just blows my mind. We are one of the deepest, most experienced teams in college basketball, and yet our lack of composure and terrible decision making when the game is on the line is more what you would expect from a team of freshmen and sophomores.

VULB#62

I could only get GameTracker and, WH, your reaction to all the fouls WE committed in the closing minute(s) was the same as mine as I saw the PXP entries pop up, "Wait, aren't we ahead?  Why are we fouling?"  :crazy:

And then I languished as I saw each missed VU free throw pop up on the Tracker in the closing seconds. Thanks, Jubril, for stopping the bleeding at that point.

a3uge

It's baffling knowing that Kampe complained about the refs after the game. The refs were atrocious in the last five minutes, giving Oakland several touch fouls, like the and-1 on Walker at the end, the last two fouls on Carter, and the last foul on Vashil. Maybe Valpo would have been getting the same calls if Oakland actually played defense - most of Valpo's shots were completely open jumpers or layins near the rim.

justducky

There was a well played 3 minute stretch where our lineup was EVN, Shane, Darien, Jubril and Vashil. Had we ever had those 5 players on the floor together before?

agibson

Quote from: valpocleveland on February 20, 2016, 06:03:38 AM
I am most interested in opening lines as they are more predictive of how Vegas things the game with turn out.

In principle, it shouldn't even be this, right? The bookies should set theime where they think the money will split 50-50. So they should put the line where they think -gamblers- predict the game will go.

Maybe, in practice, that's about the same and lines don't move much unless there's breaking news. But, it makes you wonder. (Do some games attract a bunch of casual gamblers?)

IndyValpo

Nice article about Hooper from Oakland on ESPN.com   http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/111297/meet-oaklands-max-hooper-who-only-shoots-3s
My favorite part....

"Shooters get labeled a lot, and they're often seen as bad defenders," Hooper said. "I've worked extremely hard to improve my defense"

This guy couldn't guard a statue and he has improved!!. We showed the blue print to render him useless last night.

Still pretty cool to get an article....

valpotx

Quote from: valpocleveland on February 20, 2016, 06:00:15 AM
Davidson needs to be more original celebrating Peter's 3, straight up copy cat of Monmouth.

Technically, Davidson got started before Monmouth, as he did some sort of Godzilla celebration when E Vic hit a 3 against Maryland last season ;).  This was played several times on ESPN.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

Quote from: talksalot on February 20, 2016, 10:02:39 AM
so... during the starting line-ups ... I give the player's position, height, class and home town

the scoring sheet that has the roster provides Shane Hammink's home town:

Millingen aan de Rijn, Netherlands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millingen_aan_de_Rijn

I think I got it right:  Mill Eh Gehn Ahn De Ryne

Gotta make a point to ask him before Sunday's game.

Unfortunately the sound system is so crappy, that we hardly ever hear what you are saying (chair backs, low, center court), let alone understand it.

talksalot

so... as the student section likes to say "DOESN'T MATTER.... DOESN'T MATTER"

oklahomamick

Student section was also yelling "Kevin Hart" at K. Felder.  Spot on. 
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 19, 2016, 07:59:16 PM
OU shot 50% from 3 and we fouled them 3 different times from the arch.  This would be and should be a double digit game. 

Now that will really give you.....................

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

At the ARC, Oakland athletic director Jeff Konya and operations director Sarah Judd crossed a sportsmanship line while arguing calls from the stands and were suspended one game by the Horizon League for "violating the Horizon League's sportsmanship policy. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 21, 2016, 08:46:53 PM
At the ARC, Oakland athletic director Jeff Konya and operations director Sarah Judd crossed a sportsmanship line while arguing calls from the stands and were suspended one game by the Horizon League for "violating the Horizon League's sportsmanship policy.
Was it the dude in the gold Oakland sweatshirt?

talksalot

Hey, 'mick... looking for this in some release somewhere since Todd announced it in today's post-game.... can't find it.

talksalot

http://www.goldengrizzlies.com/staffdir/oakl-staff-directory.html

you can find their pictures in that link... she is listed under the Men's Basketball section

oklahomamick

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2016/02/21/horizon-league-suspends-oakland-athletic-director/80709728/

personally, i think Kampe should have been dismissed immediately after his technical.  He came out of the coaches box towards the ref and sized him up.
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 21, 2016, 09:09:20 PM
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2016/02/21/horizon-league-suspends-oakland-athletic-director/80709728/

Didn't read much remorse  or acceptance of a mistake in his statement. I read it as "Damn, they caught me. I'll learn from this and do a better job of bitching next time."

agibson

I'm curious what he said during the game. Where is the line for assistant coaches, or other team or university officials? And somehow this didn't result in a technical during the game?

historyman

I remember that Judd was on those Becky Francis' (wife of the former OU president who coached the women's basketball team and was fired days after her husband resigned) teams that used to beat us regularly in the Mid-Con.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpospartan

What does it mean that an AD is suspended for one game?  Its not as if the AD is involved with the game, so what would he lose?

chef

Judd is the director of basketball operations for the men. Thus she likely would have been on the bench.

arsenal926

Wouldn't be a Valpo-Oakland game without a little bit of controversy. ;)

edit: I'm not allowed to post links on your board. You can see the link of the video on our board under the Misc. Media Coverage 2015-16 thread.

I'm fairly sure the above video is where it happened. Konya is the one in the leather jacket directly behind Kampe. Definitely yelling,  but as long as it's not anything derogatory I absolutely love having an AD that cares. And you'll be happy to know our schedule will be much toned down next year. Believe only 3 P5 teams, 1 of which is at home (Georgia). Our home attendance is going to be 4400 (20000+ from the MSU game helps). Our student section has returned and been awesome the whole year. And our highlights are on  TV just about every night.

And as far as Kampe sizing up the ref? seems like you might be mistaken Oklahomamick... but by all means keep trying to paint Kampe as an awful person.

oklahomamick

Quote from: arsenal926 on February 21, 2016, 11:09:16 PMWouldn't be a Valpo-Oakland game without a little bit of controversy. ;) edit: I'm not allowed to post links on your board. You can see the link of the video on our board under the Misc. Media Coverage 2015-16 thread. I'm fairly sure the above video is where it happened. Konya is the one in the leather jacket directly behind Kampe. Definitely yelling,  but as long as it's not anything derogatory I absolutely love having an AD that cares. And you'll be happy to know our schedule will be much toned down next year. Believe only 3 P5 teams, 1 of which is at home (Georgia). Our home attendance is going to be 4400 (20000+ from the MSU game helps). Our student section has returned and been awesome the whole year. And our highlights are on  TV just about every night. And as far as Kampe sizing up the ref? seems like you might be mistaken Oklahomamick... but by all means keep trying to paint Kampe as an awful person.

Not an awful person at all.  sizing up a ref doesn't make someone an awful person. If that was the case, I might be a bad person....So you are telling me Kampe didn't take steps towards the ref as if he was going to meet him in the middle of the court?   After the technical, Kampe took 3 steps towards the ref.  You might be mistaken.  That is a fact.  Bad thing is, Kampe was correct.  It was a foul. 

I don't love Kampe as much as STLfan (just giving you a hard time) but I do like him.  I listen to Kampe's radio show and think hes a good  coach. 

https://streamable.com/2rli
CRUSADERS!!!

elephtheria47

Was sitting near the oakland bench. Kampe kept on turning around and looking at a guy sitting in the front row. We were wondering who it was - - now I know - -the athletic director. Kampe and the AD's behavior did not win over any points from the group I was with.