• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 34 Florida State Seminoles @ the ARC in 37 hrs 45 minutes

Started by VUSWIM08-12, March 15, 2016, 11:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

This will be a very tough game, curious too see what the line will open at. Bacon and Beasley will be tough to stop but with our team defense we can make it happen. Looking forward to this one, I liked the energy towards the end of the game tonight and if we bring that passion we win our 28th

VUSWIM08-12

a3uge

VUSWIM08-12

Yes hopefully, was hoping to see him towards the end tonight...Also turns out I didn't graduate lol 42hrs 33 minutes...but I did...

HC

talksalot

Homer has a dilemma....

Baylor in Providence 1:30pm tip Thursday
Valpo in Valpo 6pm tip Thursday

I wonder if Janet has ever been to Providence?

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on March 15, 2016, 11:31:31 PM
Homer has a dilemma....

Baylor in Providence 1:30pm tip Thursday
Valpo in Valpo 6pm tip Thursday

I wonder if Janet has ever been to Providence?

Time difference, you probably -could- do both but it would take a charter, maybe ready to go at the airport.

vufan75

A link to FSU game tonite. Bacon and Beasley are FSU frosh to game plan for it appears.     http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&ATCLID=210807497

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

rogerwilco

agibson

Quote from: rogerwilco on March 16, 2016, 12:14:30 AM
Any TV broadcast info for Thursday night's game?

ESPN News. (Is the distribution about like ESPNU?)

agibson

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on March 15, 2016, 11:18:50 PMcurious too see what the line will open at.

Maybe Valpo by six? And most of that on the strength of home court advantage.

QuoteThis will be a very tough game

For sure. Feels like it might take an A, A-, worst B+ game from Valpo.

How long's it been since we've had one? Did we see one tonight? Assessment depends a lot on how much credit you want to give Texas Southern, I suppose.

valpotx

They have some huge guys, but only one really plays.  The 7'3" Slovakian guy starts each game and plays 18 mpg, the 7'4" Chadian guy plays 6 mpg in 26 games, and the 7'1" Nigerian hasn't played in any games.  Based on the Slovak's numbers, my guess is that he is less athletic than Vashil on offense, and not as talented on defense.

Ending FSU's hopes in the second round of a postseason tourney for a second time:

Valpo 74
FSU 66

"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSWIM08-12

TSU is very athletic, and Mike Davis does a solid job it seems so I'll give them some credit...I think the line may be Valpo by only 1 or 2, we need all the fans we can get and like you said, agibson, at worst a B+ game...and I would say we had B performance tonight, maybe B+ when we figured out they could play...wish I was close enough to go to the ARC but alas a 14hr drive is too far  :'(

historyman

http://www.seminoles.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&SPID=157128&SPSID=917093

Click on the arrow next to the headline "Bacon leads Seminoles over Davidson, 84-74, to advance in NIT" for highlights of game against Davidson and Coach Hamilton and Seminole players' post game comments.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

FSU message board

https://floridastate.forums.rivals.com/forums/fsu-sports-message-board.30/

It was a good win. Actually some of the best perimeter defense I've seen FSU play all season. Not near as many wide open threes--Davidson just did a nice job of hitting contested shots.
I'm worried Valpo blows our doors off, but perhaps our boys can rise to the occasion. I suspect we will be 4-6 point dogs.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo84

One of the best sources for all encompassing FSU information and some great people -- http://www.tomahawknation.com/
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

talksalot

Florida State Roster... the opposite of Texas Southern... T A L L !!!

http://www.seminoles.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&SPID=157128&SPSID=917092

Stats:

http://seminoles.com/fls/32900/pdf/MBB/Stats1.pdf

only out-rebounding teams by 3.5/game

Box Score from the Davidson game

http://www.seminoles.com/liveStats/v2/basketball/index.dbml?GAME_STAT_ID=2633373&db_oem_id=32900

Starting lineup from the Davidson game (and most others)

F 6-8 229 SR Brandon
F 6-7 221 FR Bacon
C 7-3 248 SR Bojanovsky
G 6-5 196 FR Beasley
G 6-4 208 SO Rathan Mayes

and 31-minutes off the bench from 6-3 198 SR Guard Bookert

oh... and you Field of Dreams fans will know that Terance Mann (6-6 FR) is on their roster.... from Lowell Mass.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo84 on March 16, 2016, 07:47:25 AM
One of the best sources for all encompassing FSU information and some great people -- http://www.tomahawknation.com/

Do ya think it is a football school or something?  There are articles on where offensive lineman get their pedicures and what candy bar DBs prefer (just kidding).  The BB articles are pretty analytical and critical. No punches pulled.

talksalot

ESPN announcer Mark Adams (had our game last night and will be back tomorrow)...

I welcomed him to the ARC... he said he'd been here before (he did the NIU "Good Morning America" game) and he said he'd coached here against Homer (who schooled him in every game)... so I had to look that up...

Mark Adams is a college basketball analyst on the ESPN family of networks. Adams was previously head coach of the Central Connecticut Blue Devils from 1991 to 1996.

I'll bet he's glad to be out of there!   CCSU RPI #351 and falling!

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

Had a chuckle out of the "blowing the doors off" comment above.  I'll be shocked if this happens.  I think FSU can be very dangerous.  They beat Virginia, Notre Dame...gave Miami all they could handle up in Tally.  They are a decent team.  They are beatable though.  Glad this one got to stay at home.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

That's what we've been told... but the "guide" does not have that on there yet...

Attendance Comparison:

Valpo- Texas Southern 2,912
FSU-Davidson 2,496
St Marys-New Mexico State 1154

vu72

I just looked at the FSU/Davidson box score.  Some observations:  Davidson started guys 6'7, 6'8", 6'2" and two guys 6'0".  They were out rebounded  44 to 28 and lost by 10.  Davidson is a decent team and won some close games but also lost to Pitt by 25 and Cal by 26.  They beat Rhode Island at home by 11.

FSU is very big, as noted above. I suspect that we go big with Skara, Peters, Vashil, Hammink and Carter, which combined will be 18 inches taller than Davidson's starters!  :o   We should be able to keep up with them on the boards and being at home with FSU probably pretty tired having to get on a plane this morning, flying to Chicago, and busing to Valpo while our guys have two nights in their own beds.  We win this one by 6, 77-71
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Kyle321n

Here's a look at the KenPom numbers for the match up. This is by far the best team we've had at the ARC in the Bryce era, second place being last year's GB team.

As for the Seminoles, they are 11-4 at home, 5-2 on neutral courts and 4-7 in road games. This bode really well as their 4 wins are against Florida (#37 KenPom),  North Carolina St. (#83) Wake Forest (#134) and Boston College (#259, the UIC of the ACC). The rest of their road games were against an average KenPom rank of 32.1 but include #62 VaTech, #53 Clemson and #43 Syracuse. Dang if we were in the Atlantic coast region, we'd be a pretty solid addition for ACC basketball...

Their team plays significantly worse on the road than at home or even on neutral courts. They average 8 points less per game and give up 6 more points. They shoot 49.3% from the field at home and only 43.2% on the road and their 3P% dips 3.4%. There is a 5% drop in FT% and commit 3 more fouls per game. This is a really good team at home and average to below average on the road.

In conclusion, it's a great thing we were able to get the game being played on Thursday at the ARC instead of traveling to the Donald L. Tucker Center.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer