• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 34 Florida State Seminoles @ the ARC in 37 hrs 45 minutes

Started by VUSWIM08-12, March 15, 2016, 11:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpopal on March 17, 2016, 08:55:07 PMI was near LeCrone at one point during the game, and I was watching as he looked around at a real tournament atmosphere.

Was he wearing a Detroit shirt?  surprised he is not in OKC for Green Bay game tomorrow.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

St. Mary's will probably bring more attention since they too were considered a snub for the NCAA.  I would rather play Georgia because they are a Power5 school.  I actually had #3 Juwan Parker for Georgia as a student when he attended Booker T. in Tulsa.  Juwan was coached by Shea Sells who is now an assistant at Tulsa University and when we last spoke admitted TU was given a gift when invited to the dance.  Would be cool to host a SEC team.
CRUSADERS!!!

rogerwilco

As sad as I am about Valpo not being in the NCAAs...
Perhaps, a long-run in the NIT is more beneficial financially for VU in terms of national branding and outreach.
Each game that is played is a fantastic advertisement for VU.
Rather than a potential one and done, perhaps the NIT journey will help VU with high school applications and enrollment.
So what seemed like less initially, might actually end up being more long-term. That's my hope.

oklahomamick

Quote from: rogerwilco on March 18, 2016, 12:56:49 AMRather than a potential one and done, perhaps the NIT journey will help VU with high school applications and enrollment.
Quote from: rogerwilco on March 18, 2016, 12:56:49 AMAs sad as I am about Valpo not being in the NCAAs... Perhaps, a long-run in the NIT is more beneficial financially for VU in terms of national branding and outreach. Each game that is played is a fantastic advertisement for VU. Rather than a potential one and done, perhaps the NIT journey will help VU with high school applications and enrollment. So what seemed like less initially, might actually end up being more long-term. That's my hope.

You might be right.  But there was a good chance with a good seed that we would not be a one and done.  We will never know but for me thats why this stings a little more.  Knowing we had the tools to make a run.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 18, 2016, 12:42:23 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 17, 2016, 08:55:07 PMI was near LeCrone at one point during the game, and I was watching as he looked around at a real tournament atmosphere.

Was he wearing a Detroit shirt?  surprised he is not in OKC for Green Bay game tomorrow.

He was wearing Detroit colors, a blue shirt with a red tie.

rogerwilco

Oh, it stings and I'm still salty about this season.
I remember walking out of Nationwide Arena after the Maryland loss and thinking "We'll win 30 games next year and fix this."

Unfortunately, it is what it is. Our best team. Then again, each time Valpo is on national TV is free advertising.

Valpo needs money and it needs students. A lot of what Dr. Harre did in terms of fund-raising for the endowment fund was undone during the economic downturn. Anything that Valpo can do to earworm itself into potential students and tap into alumni is a good thing. The more TV exposure, the better. It's advertising that the university can not purchase. I would like an economist to price out the benefit of our lengthy NIT run. What seems to be the second best thing that could have happened might just end up being the best long-term thing overall. Just a thought. It might not be what we want, but it might be what we need for Valparaiso University. (silver-lining guy, signing out!)

crusaderjoe

Man, what a game.  Fantastic effort by everyone last night.  They looked like a team on a mission.  Every time FSU made a run, it was like someone pressed the "not in our house" button and they responded.  Quality win over a good team.  I hope we get to the Garden.  Boy, I sure hope we get to the Garden.

The place looked jam packed during the second half on TV.  Looked like we had at least 5K there for sure.  I hadn't seen that many people lining the track area since Butler a few years ago.

And I have to say that as a Miami grad too that whomever came up with the "WIDE LEFT" sign written in orange and green in the Valpo student section was very clever.  Truth be told though, "WIDE RIGHT" would have probably worked a little better. And I should also say that I enjoyed seeing Leonard Hamilton at the ARC. The guy put Miami basketball on the map in a tough Big East conference in the 90's.

SanityLost17

I had to listen to the game on the radio, so I could be wrong, but it sounded to me like the team was a well oiled machine with Carter on the floor, and fairly lost with him on the bench.  I really hope we get him for one more year.  Could be the difference between a good/great team next year. 

vu72

Was glued to the tube last night as it was a great game played by a great team.  Two things of note: First, FSU is a team that beat a bunch of NCAA teams, including VCU, Florida, Virginia, Notre Dame and Syracuse.  The other thing to keep in mind is that FSU will be a contender to win the ACC next year with the fine group of freshman that played yesterday.

We have shown that we belong with anybody in the nation.  Now, we need to get to NYC and win it all.  Anything else at this point will be a disappointment.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

It was so much fun last night!  I've already been on the phone with family this morning figuring out how many tickets we need for Tuesday and who's going to the ticket office at 10 sharp to pick them up. Really enjoying the moment!

vu72

It may have been covered earlier, but FSU may have as much talent as any team we have played.  Young, yes, for sure, but very talented.  Xavier Rathan-Mayes was a consensus first team all ACC player and three freshman were ranked in the top 100 coming in this year.  Dwayne Bacon, #17, Malik Beasley, #24, and Terrance Mann, #85.  A very impressive win!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

d0uble3m

Kyle321n

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Valpo89

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 18, 2016, 07:46:55 AM
I had to listen to the game on the radio, so I could be wrong, but it sounded to me like the team was a well oiled machine with Carter on the floor, and fairly lost with him on the bench.  I really hope we get him for one more year.  Could be the difference between a good/great team next year. 
You hit the nail on the head.
I cringe every time someone other than Carter has the ball in his hands. In order of cringe-worthiness from worst to tolerable, this is my list: 1. E Vic Nick; 2. Hammink; 3. Jubril; 4. D. Walker; 5. Tevonn. Well, and then every time someone passes to Vashil, it's an adventure.

oklahomamick

T. Walker really struggled last night on the offensive side of the ball.  We will need him next game and in NYC.
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

crusadermoe

Indeed Carter holds the key to really big things for next year.   Although I think Alec, Shane, and Tevonn bring enough explosiveness to work with a newer point guard too.  I didn't realize he had a shot at a 5th year.    Wow.

USC4Valpo asked if Valpo is strapped for cash.   Someone on the board was saying their bond rating was lowered so money is short somewhere.   Was it VU72?

For enrollment growth, it would be good to invest in something that draws kids and adds some "fun" to the curb appeal.  I was stunned to see that 5 of 6 colleges my daughter visited had large rec centers with rock climbing walls, water parks, and really large cardio and swimming facilities.  The new student union is nice looking and in many ways impressive.  But for $60m, it seems you could have cut back a hair and banked up $10-15m+ toward a fieldhouse/rec center.   Students will want to gather there, but you hate to have them veg out round the clock.   

valpo84

Quick hits;

I thought of Digger a lot last night -- wide left reminded me of FSU/ND battles, that being close to ND reminded me of Digger, and the excellent win over a Power 5 (in a conference including ND) reminded me of the upset win over Digger in the ARC and his pledge never to return.  And a reminder of why Power 5s don't come to visit. 

Announcers forgot to mention that Robbie Hummel was a ball boy at Valpo.

Shea Seals was a terrific player for Tulsa (all-time leading scorer).

The Union was needed first, the Rec Center should be next.

If we make it to NIT Championship game, we would have 30 wins!

Last night's game on TV, when the crowd stood after the 3 to extend to 12 pt lead was goosebumpily!  That's what the ARC should be like all the time.  And oh by the way, it's nice that we are hosting a tournament that we earned.  Dear Horizon League, that's a tourney atmosphere! #FireLecrone

Maybe Delly will drive out with me for Tuesday's game if St Mary's wins....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Just Sayin

Was Bryce sending a message to Vashil that if you want playing time, you've gotta stop fouling? After his fourth foul, he never played again.

swiftmutiny

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 18, 2016, 11:11:43 AM
Was Bryce sending a message to Vashil that if you want playing time, you've gotta stop fouling? After his fourth foul, he never played again.
It could be, but I think it was more that Jubril (other than his own foul troubles) was playing fantastic basketball. He played with a lot of energy and was hitting his shots. Then once Jubril fouled out, it was close enough to the end of the game that I don't think Bryce wanted FSU to play hack-a-Vashil.

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 18, 2016, 11:03:11 AM
Indeed Carter holds the key to really big things for next year.   Although I think Alec, Shane, and Tevonn bring enough explosiveness to work with a newer point guard too.  I didn't realize he had a shot at a 5th year.    Wow.

USC4Valpo asked if Valpo is strapped for cash.   Someone on the board was saying their bond rating was lowered so money is short somewhere.   Was it VU72?

For enrollment growth, it would be good to invest in something that draws kids and adds some "fun" to the curb appeal.  I was stunned to see that 5 of 6 colleges my daughter visited had large rec centers with rock climbing walls, water parks, and really large cardio and swimming facilities.  The new student union is nice looking and in many ways impressive.  But for $60m, it seems you could have cut back a hair and banked up $10-15m+ toward a fieldhouse/rec center.   Students will want to gather there, but you hate to have them veg out round the clock.   

Nope, it wasn't me, it was Vale O. Paradise,(see thread in General VU discussion section.  I wouldn't be too worried but this is why President Heckler is determined to raise the size of the endowment.  Our Moody's short term credit rating is still A2 (superior).

As for the publicity, it sure can't hurt, but considering all the pub certain other teams get, you would expect their endowments to be much larger.  As examples, Valpo's 2015 endowment was $204 million while Gonzaga's was $186 million, Butler's was $184 million and Xavier's was $156 million. 

oklahomamick

Quote from: vu72 on March 18, 2016, 11:29:04 AMAs examples, Valpo's 2015 endowment was $204 million while Gonzaga's was $186 million, Butler's was $184 million and Xavier's was $156 million. 
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: swiftmutiny on March 18, 2016, 11:26:14 AMI think it was more that Jubril (other than his own foul troubles) was playing fantastic basketball. He played with a lot of energy and was hitting his shots. Then once Jubril fouled out, it was close enough to the end of the game that I don't think Bryce wanted FSU to play hack-a-Vashil.
Jubril was put back to the point-center position of bringing the ball across half court. We did that several times last year (GB in particular comes to mind) in order to bypass the quicker guard pressures and traps. Worked great!  :thumbsup:

His 3 point shot is an adventure. I glanced after the game and his % still stands near 58% but when he misses it is often an air ball. With that in mind one of his teammates should camp out under the basket waiting for it to fall way short. Then it would be up to the official scorer to determine if it was a pass or a missed shot.  ;)