• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 34 Florida State Seminoles @ the ARC in 37 hrs 45 minutes

Started by VUSWIM08-12, March 15, 2016, 11:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 10:10:12 AM
Quote from: FWalum on March 17, 2016, 10:08:00 AM
Quote from: agibson on March 17, 2016, 09:58:24 AMFor anyone within driving distance, I'll see you at the ARC!
Yes you will!  Since I had planned my trip to the LBAA National Tournament, this game has become an unexpected added bonus.  :thumbsup:

Ya gonna skip the opening convocation? :-X
I've been there a few times so even though my Godson is there I will forgo that event to see the extremely rare event of an ACC team in the ARC.  The real question will be if his father (a long time high school, college coach, player, color commentator and all around basketball junkie), whom had me get him a ticket, will skip and join me at the ARC.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Kyle321n

Quote from: fsu1mikeg on March 17, 2016, 10:09:16 AM
FSU fan and '94 grad here.  I was there during the Charlie Ward/Sam Cassell/Bob Sura/Doug Edwards/Rodney Dobard years.  This team will NOT remind you of those teams.  We have two very talented freshmen who lead us in scoring.  Dwayne Bacon was a McDonald's AA and Malik Beasley was not far behind. 
Yeah those teams were some great teams. It's tough to match those, and really our team might not remind you much of the '98 team.

Quote from: fsu1mikeg on March 17, 2016, 10:09:16 AMWe have good size, but are not a physical team.  Boris Bojanovsky is 7'3" and 248 lbs.  He can block shots, but is weak physically and can be bullied in the paint.  Jarquez Smith is a 6'9" 4 who plays center out of necessity.  He is very athletic, but also on the finesse side.  He comes in to spell Boris after the first couple of minutes or when Boris picks up a quick foul.  Jarquez has come on a bit lately, but is not really a guy you have to plan for. 
Wow, that sounds crazy familiar. Oh yeah Vashil is 6'11", can block shots, and can be bullied in the paint and Jubril is really a 4 who plays the 5 because Smits is hurt.

Our two most physical bigs missed all or most of the year, so it's been a bit of patchwork in the frontcourt.  Senior Montay Brandon starts at the four, but he's really a big guard.  He actually started his FSU career at point guard.  He's played all over and is a solid rotation guy, but doesn't score and has trouble finishing near the rim.  He'll likely play 20 minutes and accumulate almost nothing in the stat sheet.  Terrance Mann is another talented freshmen who has been playing more as the season's gone on.  He's a big guard, but also plays the four out of necessity at times.  He's an energy guy. 
That's good that Alec won't have much to guard defensively. Save energy for the offensive end.

Our point guard is Xavier Rathan-Mayes.  He's a converted two who is capable of putting up big scoring nights, but has been disappointing this year.  Last year he made a name for himself by scoring 30 points in five minutes against UNC in a game we lost in OT.  He also had a crazy scoring binge in another loss.  Expect ESPN commentators to reference this, as he's been living off that since. 

Wow, a converted 2 who is a PG? Hey KC, check out your power 5 doppleganger.

Senior guard Devon Bookert has been the heart and soul of the team this year.  He's not big or a great athlete, but he's a deadly set shooter and can light it up from deep.  He's also a good hustle guy and will jump passing lanes for steals. 

I'm guessing the Walkers (unrelated) will have him and be able to stay tight on him. Tevonn is great at running through screens.

So we've got a couple of NBA caliber athletes (Bacon and Beasley) and some decent role players.  Coach Leonard Hamilton is known as a great defensive coach, but defense has been our Achilles Heel this year.  When we defend with energy, we can beat anyone.  But we've had games where teams can drive on us at will for layups and we're slow to rotate on the perimeter, leaving guys wide open for easy threes.  Offensively, we want to run at every opportunity.  Bacon and Beasley are deadly in transition.  We struggle in the half court, and especially against zone defenses.  I think that about covers it.  I'm hoping for an upset, but I think you guys will win this one at home and end our season.  Here's to a good, clean, exciting game.

Mike

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you guys don't defend with energy personally but that's just me being selfish. It's certainly going to be a close game and I hope we can slow your transition game.  I think we can because we've slowed teams like Green Bay, Detroit and Oakland this season and they like to get up and down the court. I really hope we don't try to play their game, because when we've done that we've either lost or blown some timeouts early so Bryce can settle the team down.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on March 17, 2016, 10:08:00 AM
Quote from: agibson on March 17, 2016, 09:58:24 AMFor anyone within driving distance, I'll see you at the ARC!
Yes you will!  Since I had planned my trip to the LBAA National Tournament, this game has become an unexpected added bonus.  :thumbsup:

Can't beat that. A Valpo NIT game at home against a Power 5 team and the LBAA tournament all in one trip. I'll be there also.

govalpogo

Can feel my productivity slipping at the office as I begin to feel the nervous excitement for tonight's game.   Go Valpo Go!

Kyle321n

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VULB#62

As pointed out by another poster, it would be great if they could put up temp bleachers on the east end and be bold gold there as well.

oklahomamick

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 02:15:08 PMAs pointed out by another poster, it would be great if they could put up temp bleachers on the east end and be bold gold there as well.

Yes, if we need to duplicate the HL championship environment from last year.  That looks the best on tv and helps our players.
CRUSADERS!!!

crusaderjoe

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 17, 2016, 02:47:10 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 02:15:08 PMAs pointed out by another poster, it would be great if they could put up temp bleachers on the east end and be bold gold there as well.

Yes, if we need to duplicate the HL championship environment from last year.  That looks the best on tv and helps our players.

Are they retractable?  Can't remember.  If not, it might be hard to set up and take down timely with the youth tournament taking place.  I would like to see them though...that large open swath of floor doesn't really scream "big time" on TV.

gamelord

I just bought my tickets online about 30 min ago. Was surprised to score a pair of tix in lower C, Row J. I thought all of C would be sold out by now.

gamelord

My buddy backed out on me so i have an extra ticket. If anyone is going alone and would like a free ticket then let me know. I'll be there around 5:15

agibson

Quote from: gamelord on March 17, 2016, 03:34:29 PMI just bought my tickets online about 30 min ago. Was surprised to score a pair of tix in lower C, Row J. I thought all of C would be sold out by now.

Just singles left downstairs.

Eight rows of CC, upstairs, are sold solid.

Some of the rest of the mezzanine sold.

They've somehow blocked out a dozen rows of EE - maybe overflow student seating? But only after some tickets were sold at the bottom (at least a few faculty planning on their "usual" seats). We'll see what happens with that.

With walk-ups, I think it should be a pretty good crowd. Maybe not _dramatically_ better than Texas Southern?

Valpofan00

I think we are getting a little too hopeful for tonight's attendance. I say it will be slightly better than average.

agibson

Quote from: Valpofan00 on March 17, 2016, 04:56:07 PM
I think we are getting a little too hopeful for tonight's attendance. I say it will be slightly better than average.

Tuesday was better than I expected. I'll be moderately optimistic and estimate 3,650.

VULB#62

Why not hold the LBAA convocation in the upper bleachers during half time  ???

VULB#62

Listening to the game on WVUR cuz I don't have ESPN News.  Hearing over and over that Alec is being the man. The last 10 or so games he finally got it.  He's realized that he is better than he thought he was and as good as people were telling him.  This was something some of us were wishing for early in the season, but Alec still stayed within the process and as a result disappeared at times.  No more.  The kid gets it ----- and at the same time remains the same great kid young man he always was.

If Bryce stays and Alec stays, he will be a legit national All-American candidate and a possible NBA draft selection.  If Alec leaves, he still will be a legit national All-American candidate and a possible NBA draft selection wherever he goes.  We are watching possibly one of the two best VU players ever to step onto the ARC floor.

humbleopinion

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 05:25:06 PM
Why not hold the LBAA convocation in the upper bleachers during half time  ???

They're filling the bleachers now.
Beamin' Beacons

nkvu

Good first half. Fouls finally evened out. Have to come out and play with the same intensity in the second half without fouling out and FINISH!

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Listening to the crowd over WVUR -- it sounds so g  o  o   d!

swiftmutiny

govalpogo

I loved just about everything about that game! Go Valpo!

IrishDawg

Nice win - really great to see Valpo responding the right way to getting snubbed from the tourney.  Win the whole thing!

nkvu

Great game and a STRONG finish!  Finally a big conference school on our court and we get a convincing win.

Since it's St. Patrick's day I think a Tulamore Dew 12 year Irish Whiskey to celebrate!

a3uge

2016 - the season where "we can't beat a BCS team" went away for a few years. :)

govalpogo