• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Breaking news!!

Started by vu72, April 22, 2019, 01:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 30, 2019, 09:58:33 AM
Reporting needs to get priorities straight. Pot smoking and beer drinking -- oh the tragedy!!

Actually, the reporters at VUTV did get their priorities straight, which is to report the news no matter their own (or your) feelings about any laws or rules infractions. The reporters objectively gave an account of all the students getting arrested, being booked, and facing court appearances. They stuck to the facts of the case. The story is important because of its legal aspects, its influence on university relations with the surrounding community, the image of the university presented in local media, the impact on specific students, especially athletes who will be suspended, and the value of cautioning other students about possible repercussions to such actions. To ignore or brush aside such a story would be journalistic malpractice.

crusader05

I would just say this:

Most of these students will probably enter a program where their charges are dropped and no longer appear on their record and I think that is Good.

However, now, whether that happens or not their mug shots will always be out there and may have increased visibility if they are published in various news media. This is unfortunate as the presence of a mug shot does not equal guilty but has a negative connotation. Couple that with this being a misdemeanor and I do think there should be a debate in news rooms whether, in our era of digital foot prints, it is responsible to put those images even more further out there into the internet eco system when they do not add anything to the story.

JD24

Quote from: crusader05 on April 30, 2019, 11:28:39 AMI would just say this: Most of these students will probably enter a program where their charges are dropped and no longer appear on their record and I think that is Good. However, now, whether that happens or not their mug shots will always be out there and may have increased visibility if they are published in various news media. This is unfortunate as the presence of a mug shot does not equal guilty but has a negative connotation. Couple that with this being a misdemeanor and I do think there should be a debate in news rooms whether, in our era of digital foot prints, it is responsible to put those images even more further out there into the internet eco system when they do not add anything to the story.
The football players will sit for a game assuming it is their first such offense with the possible exception of one of the players who picked up a distributing alcohol to "minor" charge. Maybe he gets two. I don't know.

While I understand that we all have to follow the rules, I have to disagree with LEO just "doing their jobs".  Now maybe those arrested were being obnoxious and thus aggravated the situation however this is a "crime" which can be handled with a citation which keeps the mugshot (absolutely a ridiculous procedure for this particular offense) out of the public eye. The police choose not to handle the "crime" in this fashion as it is in a number of states......as are minor marijuana offenses.

As to the media and their treatment of those arrested, did vutv also list the non athletes (or at least non football players) who were arrested along with their mugshots? I do agree with wondering that if 5 or 6 students out of the nursing program were arrested for underage drinking whether it would make vutv but I don't know that it wouldn't but I have my doubts.

valpopal

Quote from: JD24 on April 30, 2019, 12:00:37 PM
As to the media and their treatment of those arrested, did vutv also list the non athletes (or at least non football players) who were arrested along with their mugshots?

Yes.

SanityLost17

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26740141/judge-suppresses-video-kraft-solicitation-case

As I suspected...

Micah will have a tougher punishment than Robert Kraft from a legal standpoint, an institution of representation standpoint (Valpo vs. NFL), and a public perception standpoint (Valpo fans vs. NFL football fans), all for a MUCH MUCH lesser crime.  "I hope Micah learns a lesson"....   I do too.  Micah, socioeconomic status and race matter in this country.  Sorry buddy.  I feel for you.

NativeCheesehead

I would compare Kraft's situation less to Micah and more to Epstein. We've seen the Florida standard for justice in those kinds of crimes.

JD24

The Kraft situation is a money thing. He has the dollars to fight this as far as he wants. Most people don't.

M

Hopefully Kraft is able to keep that video from getting out...nobody wants to see that!

elephtheria47

With the way the offseason has gone so far, I fully expect the next breaking news to be LaVall Jordan being announced as Michigans new coach, resulting in Derrik Smits rescinding his commitment to Butler and announcing he's coming back to Valpo, only to be received by the staff at the same time as Sorolla walking in to let them know he plans to return. They will then hold a best-of-three arm wrestling tournament that is open to the public to determine who actually gets the last spot. It's been that kind of a crazy few months.

vu72

Quote from: elephtheria47 on May 14, 2019, 01:22:36 PM
With the way the offseason has gone so far, I fully expect the next breaking news to be LaVall Jordan being announced as Michigans new coach, resulting in Derrik Smits rescinding his commitment to Butler and announcing he's coming back to Valpo, only to be received by the staff at the same time as Sorolla walking in to let them know he plans to return. They will then hold a best-of-three arm wrestling tournament that is open to the public to determine who actually gets the last spot. It's been that kind of a crazy few months.

Some how I think Michigan may be aiming a little higher. Jordan hasn't exactly lit it up at that school south of Valpo.  It would be hilarious if it actually happened though!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IrishDawg

Would be Butler's 5th different coach in the last 8 years if it did happen, only one of which (Miller) was let go, and that was because he disappeared off face of the Earth for months (and basically has completely done so since).  Not sure any program in the country has had that kind of turnover.  I'd be happy for him though.  I think he's a solid coach, and he and his staff are only going to get better as time goes on.  Plus the people on Butler's message board have been advocating for him to lose his job basically since he was hired, so that would at least be mildly entertaining to watch.

bbtds

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 14, 2019, 08:49:31 PM
Would be Butler's 5th different coach in the last 8 years if it did happen, only one of which (Miller) was let go, and that was because he disappeared off face of the Earth for months (and basically has completely done so since).  Not sure any program in the country has had that kind of turnover.  I'd be happy for him though.  I think he's a solid coach, and he and his staff are only going to get better as time goes on.  Plus the people on Butler's message board have been advocating for him to lose his job basically since he was hired, so that would at least be mildly entertaining to watch.

Friends from church have said Miller has been seen visiting Franciscan health services in Greenwood but I don't know what he does for a living if he does anything. Of course all rumor.

justducky

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on May 15, 2019, 12:11:13 PM
Quote from: bbtds on May 15, 2019, 12:03:18 PMFriends from church

:o You have friends?

You would be very surprised at the former VU presidents and vice presidents that are my friends. Unfortunately more have passed away than are currently living.