• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2018-2019

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2018, 03:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was it the correct move to relieve Tracey Dorow of her duties as Head Coach of the Valpo Women's Basketball Team?

Yes
No

VULB#62

The women dropped their season opener away at UIC by 10:  65-75.  From the box score it looks like Valpo was slow out of the gate in both the 1st and 3rd quarters but won the 2nd and 4th quarters but couldn't put enough points in the bucket in the 4th to undo the 3rd quarter swoon.

Hoping for a better result against North Dakota in Sunday's home opener..

valpowbb1

Watched the game on ESPN+. They played very hard and were aggressive on both ends of the floor.  UIC had a kid get smoking hot from the 3 point line and had another make some circus shots on late shot clocks.  This directly led to the L for Valpo.  The freshman guard looks very good and the team plays much more together than they did in the past. 

talksalot

Nice crowd in the ARC today.. Valpo up 30-26 at the half.  Everyone on the team has scored.  Stoller leads with 7

talksalot

Me and my big mouth.  Third quarter starts with a 13-2 run, we go 1-12 shooting.  1:08 to go, down 7

IndyValpo

Someone in the know help out here..
This team has 5 injured players.
What are we looking at specifically with Morrison and Konieczny.

It will be a very long season with them out.

RS

Morrison and Profitt are out for the year I believe. ACL's. Koniecny has a back issue so assuming problem is figured out will be back.  Richards I'm not sure about. Pitts played today at the end of the game. Are those the 5 you are talking about. The 6'5 center has still not played a game and is a red shirt freshman. Another lady is a transfer and not eligible til next year.

valpopal

Women lost another close game tonight, 68-62, to Morehead State. If they didn't have to play the 3rd quarter in each game, they'd be in great shape. They have led at the half in 3 out of 4 games, and tied or won the 4th quarter in all 4 games! Only Illinois has had a lead against them going into the second half. However, in the four games thus far, Valpo has been outscored in the 3rd quarter by 82-37. Something different has to be done during halftime to get a better second-half start.

IndyValpo

Throughout her career Hamlet will have an incredibly bad game maybe once
every five games. That was tonight 0-6
from the field with 6 turnovers.

If she plays at all they win.

Gutsy effort without no depth at all at
C or PF.

We have 6-5 redshirt freshman walk on who can't find
the floor even with no other subs available.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on November 16, 2018, 07:43:54 PM
Women lost another close game tonight, 68-62, to Morehead State. If they didn't have to play the 3rd quarter in each game, they'd be in great shape. They have led at the half in 3 out of 4 games, and tied or won the 4th quarter in all 4 games! Only Illinois has had a lead against them going into the second half. However, in the four games thus far, Valpo has been outscored in the 3rd quarter by 82-37. Something different has to be done during halftime to get a better second-half start.

As I mentioned last time, the 3rd quarter was the key tonight. The women finally won the third quarter by 3 points against St. Francis Brooklyn, and they won their first game by 2 points, 78-76!

NativeCheesehead

New coach stomping out a lot of bad habits. I know it's cliche but our record doesn't matter this year. How's the team look in mid to late January? How's the first full offseason of recruiting and training under this staff? Growth is the keyword for the next two years.

RS

The two freshmen look impressive so far.  Tracy's last recruiting class looking good so far. Glad they stuck with the program.

IndyValpo

A few years back Miami and us were basically in the same place...bad with marginal coaching. They moved on a year before us and have seemingly turned it around. WNIT last year and better this year.
Hopefully we will get the same coaching change bounce.

A few questions to anyone who might know
We have 6 players hurt 3 for sure season ending what about the other 3 Konieczny Schofield and Meredith?

How does Hales go from 21 points to 35 minutes and one shot?

We have a 6-5 walk on who didn't play in the blowout. Are we afraid she will hurt herself? Seriously what is the story.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on November 16, 2018, 07:43:54 PM

Attended the women's game today and they lost to a good Miami-Ohio team, but I also witnessed another calamitous 3rd quarter during which Valpo scored only 3 points!

VU2014

valpopal

I was at the women's game, and they gave a gritty performance, losing 51-48, despite being down to only 7 players because of injuries and Bryce Blood leaving the university. In fact, after Stoller fouled out, they were down to 6 players. Unfortunately, this was a game they were expecting to win against North Dakota State, but the team was obviously fatigued in the second half and missed their last 7 shots, went only 1-14 in the 4th quarter, and even missed six free throws in the final quarter. Things will only be worse when they face tougher competition. Don't be surprised if one of the volleyball seniors gets a call to walk-on with the basketball team and wear a Valpo uniform one last semester.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpopal on December 16, 2018, 03:24:03 PM
I was at the women's game, and they gave a gritty performance, losing 51-48, despite being down to only 7 players because of injuries and Bryce Blood leaving the university. In fact, after Stoller fouled out, they were down to 6 players. Unfortunately, this was a game they were expecting to win against North Dakota State, but the team was obviously fatigued in the second half and missed their last 7 shots, went only 1-14 in the 4th quarter, and even missed six free throws in the final quarter. Things will only be worse when they face tougher competition. Don't be surprised if one of the volleyball seniors gets a call to walk-on with the basketball team and wear a Valpo uniform one last semester.
So we have 3 out for the year, 1 who has been out injured all season with no update. 2 who apparently got hurt a few weeks back with no update since and the 6-5 walk on who apparently only appears in team photographs. Plus 7 healthy and a redshirt.

You kind of expect with a coaching change players to leave. Blood leaving is a big loss, not one I expected.

We do not want Schofield or Meredith taking redshirt years so it is vital they get back.

VUGrad1314

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 16, 2018, 03:42:48 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on December 16, 2018, 02:19:06 PM
A big loss for the women's team. Blood was a good young player.

https://twitter.com/nwioren/status/1074365177116667904?s=21

Any word on why she left?

Haven't heard anything. I didn't see this one coming. She seemed pretty close to the team on social media. Maybe she thought she wasn't a great roster fit? She played well and I thought she was one of the rising players in this program. Unfortunate and very untimely news for the Lady Crusaders.

bbtds

I did see the red-headed volleyball player, not Ketcham, on the bench for this NDSU game. I didn't think she was dressed but the plan may be to use her in the future.

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on December 17, 2018, 05:33:58 PM

I did see the red-headed volleyball player, not Ketcham, on the bench for this NDSU game. I didn't think she was dressed but the plan may be to use her in the future.

That would be Katherine Carlson, the player I was referencing, who was an all-league basketball player in high school and has a great spirit to add as well.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on December 17, 2018, 05:49:18 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 17, 2018, 05:33:58 PM
Don't be surprised if one of the volleyball seniors gets a call to walk-on with the basketball team and wear a Valpo uniform one last semester.

That would be Katherine Carlson, the player I was referencing, who was an all-league basketball player in high school and has a great spirit to add as well.

and it is now official:

[tweet]1075132907352657922[/tweet]

vu72

Katherine Carlson was in uniform for Valpo tonight!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

hobarthogrider

Just an observation-I noticed in Blood's last home game that,although she seemed to be giving maximum effort,it didn't appear that the coach was pleased with her,and her minutes were down considerably.Although I would expect some players to move on with the hiring of new coaches,I can't buy into that.Why would she have waited this long and not transferred much earlier?Just the interactions between player and coach I observed seem to me to indicate a scenario where the coach is unhappy with a player,not their own recruit,and fosters an environment stressful to both.I would sure like to see some clarification from coach,but really expect only polite doublespeak.

FWalum

Quote from: hobarthogrider on December 20, 2018, 04:59:21 PM
Just an observation-I noticed in Blood's last home game that,although she seemed to be giving maximum effort,it didn't appear that the coach was pleased with her,and her minutes were down considerably.Although I would expect some players to move on with the hiring of new coaches,I can't buy into that.Why would she have waited this long and not transferred much earlier?Just the interactions between player and coach I observed seem to me to indicate a scenario where the coach is unhappy with a player,not their own recruit,and fosters an environment stressful to both.I would sure like to see some clarification from coach,but really expect only polite doublespeak.

hobarthogrider, it seems that you are very concerned about Bryce Blood and perhaps the way you think she was treated. I believe that all of your 3 posts have had to do with her leaving the program. Do you have something you want to tell us or get off of your chest? Those of us who are not associated with the WBB program, VU administration or Ms. Blood will never know exactly what happened in this situation.  All anyone of us can do is speculate what happened and I don't believe that is a good thing.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show