• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

SectionEE predicting the schedule results, part 1

Started by sectionee, September 26, 2011, 10:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2011/09/predicting-2011-2012-season-part-1.html

Finally something new.  Who knew when teaching started up again all my free time would suddenly disappear.  Anyway, enjoy agreeing/disagreeing what we've done with the first part of schedule predictions.

blackpantheruwm

Sorry guys, I'm a little skeptical.

So let's get this straight.  Homer Drew, a coaching veteran of 34 years, is replaced by his son who has never been a head coach on any level.  His top scorer is gone, as is his next best.  His fourth-best scorer is also gone.  Dino Jakolis looks to be the only real decent recruit - this taken with a grain of salt as recruiting classes aren't everything.  So we're looking at Ryan Broekhoff, Jay Harris and Matt Kenney leading a team to a better record with Bryce at the helm in the first 12 games than Homer did with his senior-laden squad that lost the conference lead with just a week and a half remaining?

I don't buy it.

FWalum

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on September 29, 2011, 03:51:32 PM
Sorry guys, I'm a little skeptical.

So let's get this straight.  Homer Drew, a coaching veteran of 34 years, is replaced by his son who has never been a head coach on any level.  His top scorer is gone, as is his next best.  His fourth-best scorer is also gone.  Dino Jakolis looks to be the only real decent recruit - this taken with a grain of salt as recruiting classes aren't everything.  So we're looking at Ryan Broekhoff, Jay Harris and Matt Kenney leading a team to a better record with Bryce at the helm in the first 12 games than Homer did with his senior-laden squad that lost the conference lead with just a week and a half remaining?

I don't buy it.
I think you have forgetten a few new players.

• Ben Boggs - Transfer from Virginia Tech that would be eligible at the end of first semester if he does not redshirt.
  • Richie Edwards - 6'7" JC transfer that was the third overall scorer at the World University Games
  • Will Bogan - Transfer from Mississippi State University.  He is immediately eligible because of the Masters degree transfer rule.
  • Vashil Fernandez - 6'11" center from Princeton Day Academy, MD
Bogan and Edwards should have an immediate impact on this years squad and Boggs could be a big bonus if he decides to play after the first semester. If Vucic an Fernandez can help in the post I think things are looking pretty good.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show