• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2019 New Years Resolutions...

Started by wh, January 07, 2019, 12:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

... for following and supporting Crusader basketball

I resolve to never post about facilities or facilities management after today. Why?  I arrived at the ARC at 6:30p for the IL State game only to be told for the second consecutive game that they had already run out of programs. I was going to mention it in the game thread, but then it occurred to me - what's the use?  I had already posted the same thing in the PNW thread. I know that several AD staff members read the threads, including, but in no way limited to, Aaron Leavitt and ML himself, because both reply at various times to provide clarity and answer specific questions. Yet, even knowing that this was an issue at the PNW game, the identical problem occurred at the very next game. Moreover, it wasn't against a D-whatever program, we were hosting our first conference game against an opponent that brought a lot of fans with them. How simple it would have been for any staff member to shoot a text or email to Erik Weiler (the supposed overseer of event management) to make him aware. Of course, that assumes we have people that give a damn about game day image and appearance, which obviously we don't. It also assumes that Weiler wasn't aware and that he actually cares.

That's when it occurred to me.  Mentioning event management shortcomings like no programs, a garbled sound system, closed concession stands, ticket taking bottlenecks causing ingress backups out the front door, tables left in the corridor bottlenecking the egress of the masses at the conclusion of the game is a complete waste of time. These people will never meet even a minimum level of professionalism that I would find acceptable. They demonstrate no pride of workmanship, no concern for minor details. They obviously operate without a checklist and there is no accountability for performance.

I think I will have much more fun (which is what this is supposed to be about) if I just close my eyes and hold my nose to the staff laziness and indifference on regular display. Thus, my resolution for 2019.

Valpo89

I had already resolved to not pay to attend any remaining games after that Ball State debacle.
I have a friend with season tickets who is spending January in Hawaii, so I have this month covered.
February remains to be seen.
That half-court game-winning ESPN No. 1 play to end last Wednesday's game did a good job of covering up what a truly awful game it was for 38 minutes.

vu72

Quote from: wh on January 07, 2019, 12:51:40 PM
... for following and supporting Crusader basketball

I resolve to never post about facilities or facilities management after today. Why?  I arrived at the ARC at 6:30p for the IL State game only to be told for the second consecutive game that they had already run out of programs. I was going to mention it in the game thread, but then it occurred to me - what's the use?  I had already posted the same thing in the PNW thread. I know that several AD staff members read the threads, including, but in no way limited to, Aaron Levitt and ML himself, because both reply at various time to provide clarity and answer specific questions. Yet, even knowing that this was an issue at the PNW game, the identical problem occurred at the very next game. Moreover, it wasn't against a D-whatever program, we were hosting our first conference game against an opponent that brought a lot of fans with them. How simple it would have been for any staff member to shoot a text or email to Erik Weiler (the supposed overseer of event management) to make him aware. Of course, that assumes we have people that give a damn about game day image and appearance, which obviously we don't. It also assumes that Weiler wasn't aware and that he actually cares.

That's when it occurred to me.  Mentioning event management shortcomings like no programs, a garbled sound system, closed concession stands, ticket taking bottlenecks causing ingress backups out the front door, tables left in the corridor bottlenecking the egress of the masses at the conclusion of the game is a complete waste of time. These people will never meet even a minimum level of professionalism that I would find acceptable. They demonstrate no pride of workmanship, no concern for minor details. They obviously operate without a checklist and there is no accountability for performance.

I think I will have much more fun (which is what this is supposed to be about) if I just close my eyes and hold my nose to the staff laziness and indifference on regular display. Thus, my resolution for 2019.

It may be that you are directing your concerns at the wrong folks--maybe not!  I would email the following:  Robbie Crimmins, Director of Event Operations:  robbie.crimmins@valpo.edu and Merel Nelson, Operations Coordinator:  merel.nelson@valpo.edu

A cc to Mark will undoubtedly lead these folks to respond, one way or another.  Hope this is helpful.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015