• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #22 Vs Missouri State Tues 1\29\19 7 PM ARC

Started by VUGrad1314, January 28, 2019, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Last time the Bears came to the ARC they spoiled our MVC opener and trounced us 67-50 the first of 3 head to head victories for them over us. This year we enacted a measure of revenge with a comfortable 82-66 win that handed the Bears their first home loss. After that game, Head Coach Dana Ford challenged his squad to defend better and they have responded to the tune of a 4-2 record. That stretch is highlighted by Missouri State shockingly holding Loyola and Bradley to 35 and 37 points respectively in a pair of victories that caught the attention of the entire MVC and called to mind the last team to accomplish that feat--the 1986 Redbirds. 

As the Crusaders pursue the season sweep, the injury bug has swept through Valpo sidelining three Crusaders and pressing an already somewhat thin bench into service in some unfamiliar roles. The Crusaders hope that that pressure will make diamonds and pay dividends down the road as they attempt to sweep the Bears, defend home court, get themselves and their season back on the mend, snap out of this funk that has resulted in a 1-3 stretch, and close the wounds inflicted by the Bears last year once and for all. 

The main question for the Crusaders will be just how much firepower they'll be missing. They will look for big contributions from Sorolla and Sackey who paced the team with 13 points each in a Saturday loss to Drake, as well as Javon Freeman Mileek McMillan Deion Lavender and Bakari Evelyn while the Bears post a formidable 3 headed monster of Tulio DaSilva, Jarred Dixon and Keandre Cook each of whom average at least 13.5 points per game on the pinpoint passing of Josh Webster (5.4 APG). The Bears also boast 3 significant contributors (DaSilva Cook and Ryan Kreklow who shoot the 3 at 38% or better.

It should be a tough but great game and as long as the Crusaders come to play and have fixed the shooting woes that plagued them against Drake, I like their chances at home especially if we can get at least one of our big three back for this game. Most of all we need the fans to give another strong effort. The weather may be cold but the action will be white hot. Bring the noise. Bring the energy. Stay gritty. Get some buckets. And let's get this win. Go Valpo!

M

I always predict a win but a loss wouldn't shock me. I hope our healthy guys compete and play hard.

I'll say Valpo wins 55-53 and its a breakout night for Mileek (because someone has to be a hero).

VU2010

Is there a YouTube video we can watch from his presser?

crusader05

I don't think these are actual taped pressers. I think these are just a conference call/media availability that happen before every MVC game so probably no video or taping. Just an opportunity for a few questions and to hear from both coaches and maybe a player or two.

talksalot

For those wondering if the weather will cause a cancellation...
I can tell you that the MoSt Charter plane left Springfield at 3:21pm and will be landing at Porter County at 4:41pm today.

Speaking of "almost" cancelling a game...

I'll take you back to January 24, 2004.  Southern Utah.  aka the "Blizzard Game"... Both teams and the Officials made it to the arena so the decision was made to play... Your Public Address announcer could not get out of his driveway...   My memory of the night as it was related to me, was that SID Bill Rogers announced the starting lineups, but after that, there was no other announcements and the crowd was something "around 200"....

We won 77-69. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: talksalot on January 28, 2019, 04:07:44 PM
I can tell you that the MoSt Charter plane left Springfield at 3:21pm and will be landing at Porter County at 4:41pm today.

I'll take you back to January 24, 2004.  Southern Utah.  aka the "Blizzard Game"... Both teams and the Officials made it to the arena so the decision was made to play... Your Public Address announcer could not get out of his driveway...   My memory of the night as it was related to me, was that SID Bill Rogers announced the starting lineups, but after that, there was no other announcements and the crowd was something "around 200"....

We won 77-69.

Think we'd have been better off if the game was delayed....say 3-weeks!!!

Pgmado

We won 77-69. 

I actually was back in Valparaiso for that game. It was during my three-year stretch of being away from campus.

valpopal

Vegas odds opened with the Valpo-MoSt game as a pick-em but the numbers have moved to Valpo as a 1.5 underdog. I don't know how anyone can have any confidence in predictions with the injuries to Valpo.

VU2014

It's going to take a big game from someone to pull off this W. It's going to take more than just Smits to score tomorrow. Bakari has it in him. Will we see it? TBD.

valpopal

The university has announced it will suspend all operations at 9 p.m. Tuesday (coincidentally getting in the basketball game?) due to expected wind chill temperatures and reopen on Thursday at noon.

VU2014

We've got "Ryan is progressing nicely" for 3 weeks now. He's still in the boot.

bigmosmithfan1

I remember a couple of games in the 80s like that. Snowstorm hit, but the opponent was already here, so the game was played. I remember one in the old AMCU-8 days where there couldn't have been more than a few dozen fans in the ARC.

valpotx

We won 77-69. 

I was there, and it was nice and spacious :).

With Smits, I think that we can pull this one out:

Valpo 62
Missouri St. 57
"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

It is a gold rush event at Valpo tonight.
First 500 fans get a free tee shirt :thumbsup:
So please put them on!!!!! Nothing worse than seeing a great crowd not in gold!
TONIGHT COME IN GOLD!!!!!
NOT BROWN
NOT BLACK
DEFINATLY NOT RED OR MAROON
BUT GOLD AND ONLY GOLD!!!!!
:dance: :dance: :dance:
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

I wear gold every game except UNI and Loyola. Those days I wear Brown.

crusader05

I don't know if we will see good student attendance tonight. A lot of the students are angry that school has not been called until after 9 as they perceive that it is only so the team can play since other universities have called off earlier.

VUGrad1314

The university may not have had a say. The MVC could have mandated this. This is after all Missouri State's furthest trip (in conference).

NativeCheesehead

It is only so the team can play. So what? In my day we hiked to the ARC barefoot and hungover in 18 inches of snow for 11 am Mid-Con games. Uphill in both directions!

vusupporter

The University probably also wanted to try to avoid canceling Tuesday night classes two consecutive weeks if at all possible, given those night classes meet once a week.

crusader05

I think there are a lot of factors but I think the problem is 1. social media where both the students AND their parents get each other all riled up about how it's "not safe" 2. when every school in the area including universities are closed it's harder to understand.

I figured they would just cancel classes after 6 when the warning kicks in and let other events go on or differ to the events organizer.

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpopal on January 28, 2019, 10:18:01 PM
The university has announced it will suspend all operations at 9 p.m. Tuesday (coincidentally getting in the basketball game?) due to expected wind chill temperatures and reopen on Thursday at noon.
Let's hope the game doesn't go into overtime and pass the 9:00 deadline.
Beamin' Beacons

SanityLost17

The good news.   This MoSt team is very reliant on DaSilva to get things going in the paint and open things up from the outside.  If Smits plays the combination of of Smits/Sorolla should be enough to disrupt that part of their offense and swing post play decisively to our advantage.  However, I have a strange suspicion Smits will struggle if his back is bothering him even a little bit.  I have had back spasms before, it is really hard to function properly.   

The problem will once again be scoring and what kind of legs are we going to have on defense by the end of the game at the guard position.  If Smits plays at least McMillan and Kiser won't have to play the 5.   So that helps out way more than you might think.     

I am not sure on a prediction.  We need to win as we are hitting the road again soon. 

SanityLost17

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 29, 2019, 09:07:26 AM
The good news.   This MoSt team is very reliant on DaSilva to get things going in the paint and open things up from the outside.  If Smits plays the combination of of Smits/Sorolla should be enough to disrupt that part of their offense and swing post play decisively to our advantage.  However, I have a strange suspicion Smits will struggle if his back is bothering him even a little bit.  I have had back spasms before, it is really hard to function properly.   

The problem will once again be scoring and what kind of legs are we going to have on defense by the end of the game at the guard position.  If Smits plays at least McMillan and Kiser won't have to play the 5.   So that helps out way more than you might think.     

I am not sure on a prediction.  We need to win as we are hitting the road again soon.

I've changed my mind.  I do have an official prediction. 

Valpo 13   MoSt 98

Smits still has spasms and can't play.   We find out Sackey is out with a concussion having slipped on the ice walking to class, and 4 minutes into the game Freeman rolls an ankle.   Valpo brings in Langston (walk-on) to run the point.  Bakari goes 1-32 from 3 trying to keep us in the game.   Sorolla and McMillan both foul out half way through the 2nd half and we play with 4 guys the last 10 minutes.   

There, it can't get any worse than that.  So we will be pleasantly surprised no matter what. You are welcome everyone!  :)