• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #22 Vs Missouri State Tues 1\29\19 7 PM ARC

Started by VUGrad1314, January 28, 2019, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

With even one we win by 6-8. I am pleased to see Bakari's shot appearing to come back but if we draw up even one more crunch time play for him I'm going to lose my mind. I love Bakari and appreciate the way he has battled back to try to become the player he was last year but he's just not there yet and until he is he needs to defer more.

justducky

Hey, I saw all the mistakes and lost opportunities too. I am also equally or more disappointed with the outcome. But---Objectively----  Two steps forward----Sackey and Freeman.    Two steps back------Lavender and Smits. So we essentially tied a team that just beat Loyola by 35 and we did that with a shorthanded 4 guard offense.

Have any of the rest of you focused on just how good this team might be in late February with everybody healthy? Trust me. It's worth thinking about.  :thumbsup:

nkvu

Observations after several medicinal scotches to deal with this loss.

1.  Our two freshman are really tough. Too bad our upper classmen aren't.  Make our freshman shoot like a million threes in the offseason so maybe they can hit a couple each during a game. It could make a huge difference.

2. Sorolla is as bad on offense as he is adequate on defense. Really, how after 2+ years playing D1 ball can he still not have any idea what to do with the ball one foot away from the rim?  I know he has no verticle but really, is he afraid of hurting the rim or what?  I mean Vashil was useless offensively his first two years, but by his junior year he could at least throw one down when he got it a foot from the basket. I hope Jay grows another foot before next year so maybe he can get one over the rim when he is one foot away.

3.  It kills me to watch teams that if we're at full strength we would beat easily come away with wins at our place. Still, you would think that we could find a way to steal one at home. Now I begin to wonder if we can find another two wins somewhere to improve on our dismal record of last year

4.  Please coach, give us a full bench next year so when three or four of our guys go down with injuries we have enough players to play a full game with an honest chance to win.

5.  Maleek is still like a bull in a china shop. If he doesn't pick up at least one moving screen foul, I know he didn't play. I keep hearing about his upside, but Jesu when is he gonna show some of it?  He still shows no clue what to do with his body. Honestly I don't see any improvement from last year.

6.  I thought from the beginning of the season if Kiser saw a lot of minutes we were in trouble. Don't get me wrong I love his toughness and his effort, but if he is the best we have on the court, we won't win many games. He just doesnt have enough game to help us win over MVC opponents if he is playing a lot.

7.  I thought Bakari had a decent game until he kicked that one away at the end. Still when it comes down to it in the clutch, he chocked.  You'd think you could count on your upper classmen to play well in clutch time.  It hasn't happened for this team so far.

NativeCheesehead

Can we also talk about how the chair back side of the video board was out all night? I am so tired of the lack of attention to detail in the athletic department.  How is this not tested and addressed hours before the game? 

VUGrad1314

Quote from: nkvu on January 29, 2019, 10:58:20 PMObservations after several medicinal scotches to deal with this loss. 1.  Our two freshman are really tough. Too bad our upper classmen aren't.  Make our freshman shoot like a million threes in the offseason so maybe they can hit a couple each during a game. It could make a huge difference. 2. Sorolla is as bad on offense as he is adequate on defense. Really, how after 2+ years playing D1 ball can he still not have any idea what to do with the ball one foot away from the rim?  I know he has no verticle but really, is he afraid of hurting the rim or what?  I mean Vashil was useless offensively his first two years, but by his junior year he could at least throw one down when he got it a foot from the basket. I hope Jay grows another foot before next year so maybe he can get one over the rim when he is one foot away. 3.  It kills me to watch teams that if we're at full strength we would beat easily come away with wins at our place. Still, you would think that we could find a way to steal one at home. Now I begin to wonder if we can find another two wins somewhere to improve on our dismal record of last year 4.  Please coach, give us a full bench next year so when three or four of our guys go down with injuries we have enough players to play a full game with an honest chance to win. 5.  Maleek is still like a bull in a china shop. If he doesn't pick up at least one moving screen foul, I know he didn't play. I keep hearing about his upside, but Jesu when is he gonna show some of it?  He still shows no clue what to do with his body. Honestly I don't see any improvement from last year. 6.  I thought from the beginning of the season if Kiser saw a lot of minutes we were in trouble. Don't get me wrong I love his toughness and his effort, but if he is the best we have on the court, we won't win many games. He just doesnt have enough game to help us win over MVC opponents if he is playing a lot. 7.  I thought Bakari had a decent game until he kicked that one away at the end. Still when it comes down to it in the clutch, he chocked.  You'd think you could count on your upper classmen to play well in clutch time.  It this team so far.

Of course Mileek doesn't know how to use his body yet. He spent the entire offseason bulking up to play a significant role in the frontcourt and he hasn't gotten minutes to work with it in games. Personally I'd like to see him play more minutes at 1-4 in our last 5 and with all these injuries  what do we have to lose?

M

Mileek might've been our best 3 point option tonight (scary thought) but no opportunity...

Evelyn, man, he was doing so well until crunch time.

Speaking of attention to detail:
Did you see the Golder program has him wearing his #5 and it says he's #3?  Did anyone move the ticket tables? We were given one of those fancy parking passes and exited out a different door.  I also learned, maybe it's been mentioned here before, that they typically sell beer and whine in that ARC Suite room. Didn't tonight due to be understandably under staffed.

VU2014

Apparently there is a rumor that a Valpo fan threw trash at the ref? I asked 4 different people who saw the whole incident go down and they said no such thing happened.

oklahomamick

Lost 3 of 4.  Next two are on the road.  Falling down the standings fast.  I miss winning.  Need a healthy team.
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on January 29, 2019, 11:18:55 PMApparently there is a rumor that a Valpo fan threw trash at the ref? I asked 4 different people who saw the whole incident go down and they said no such thing happened.

So these refs are not only making up crap during the game but now they're making up horror stories about what happened to them that forced them to kick out that big bad Valpo fan who had the audacity to tell them that he felt that  they weren't doing their job correctly? What a bunch of thin skinned ninnies.They were the ones throwing trash calls at our players all night. Have these people no shame?

VUGrad1314

And Bakari doesn't even own his booting the ball at the end of the game. Disappointed not to hear him take ownership of that and instead blame the defense. This from a junior who's supposed to be one of our leaders. He had an opportunity to show some leadership there and he passed on it. Sad.

Lottich tells his team that we have no excuses and appreciates not being asked about being shorthanded but then makes sure everyone hears that we're shorthanded. Mixed messages coach.

valpopal

The video from the postgame press conference was painful to watch. This team appears shell-shocked, and I can't blame them. However, as I have mentioned previously about other press conferences, Lottich needs to work on his body language and facial expressions, especially when the players are responding to questions. Media studies and textbooks address the critical concept about how images on a screen can overpower even the words spoken in the eyes of viewers. He has to realize the negative emotions that his movements and gestures are conveying.

VALPO LI

Quote from: valpopal on January 30, 2019, 12:17:28 AM
The video from the postgame press conference was painful to watch. This team appears shell-shocked, and I can't blame them. However, as I have mentioned previously about other press conferences, Lottich needs to work on his body language and facial expressions, especially when the players are responding to questions. Media studies and textbooks address the critical concept about how images on a screen can overpower even the words spoken in the eyes of viewers. He has to realize the negative emotions that his movements and gestures are conveying.

What do the media studies say about sound?
Still need a microphone for the press please! Very difficult to understand the questions asked by the press.
Shine on Vu

M

I saw one of the giveaway basketballs go flying into the court right after the final horn. The Valpo Dinosaur actually picked it up with its tony little arms.

wh

Valpo basketball: Epic swan dive off a 60' cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG7vKjHrXjQ

jsher3141

Quote from: M on January 30, 2019, 07:17:07 AM
I saw one of the giveaway basketballs go flying into the court right after the final horn. The Valpo Dinosaur actually picked it up with its tony little arms.
Yeah, it was one of the little foam basketballs. It wasn't thrown at anyone. Someone just hurled it out onto the court.

And another note about the guy they kicked out. Before they identified him, they tried to kick someone else out. The people around the guy literally had to plead that he hadn't said a word. The refs we're literally just looking to flex their power and throw someone out for calling them out. They didn't care who or why.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

VU2010

Lottich isn't ready for any of this. Plain and simple. He's not. And when he doesn't have a Peters on the team to mask his inept ability to coach or lead this team, his inexperience shows. Not his fault - he hasn't ever been the head coach before and had ZERO coaching experience prior to his time at Valpo. He *could* be a good coach someday. The question is ... are we such a subpar program that we'll be the ones who continually say: "wait until next year!" Or "trust the process!" and ride it out until he has the players to execute? Like seriously we should be a 25+ win team next year with the roster we'll have. But I'm sure something will happen to prohibit that from occurring. And like always everyone will make excuses.

VU2010

Lottich needs to study Wooden. The little things matter. They matter A LOT. Do the little things right. You're the mentor. The leader. The example. You set the tone. He literally slumped over and sighed during the interview while his players (as usual) are slouched over. Teach them the way to carry themselves. It's about more than basketball. Whether they play professionally or enter the workforce, they'll need these skills. Teach them. Lead them. This needs to be addressed by Admin. Sorry. It's a shame. You're paid a lot of money to be a professional. Be one. Express your real emotions to your assistant coaches behind closed doors. Slump back in the chair and act disgruntled while driving home. Stand up straight and be a man when you're in a press conference. And your players will follow suit if they respect you. Javon is the real deal. Be the leader he deserves. Tailored suits are nice but your body language speaks more volumes than what you wear.

oklahomamick

I'm not turning against Lottich by any means but Gritt doesn't get you an open look at the basket after a timeout on your final possession.  Besides the timeout, there was also a official review that he could have drawn up a play.  We should have had a better offensive possession.   

End of the day it's difficult to win games with two of your best players on the bench and the third best player fouled out.

Since Lottich has taken over, the best player in the history of the program went out with a season ending injury, An all-conference player in Jubril was sideline the entire year.  The following year doesn't get better, loses the most talented player on that roster.  3rd year doesn't catch a break.  Best two players out multiple games (conference games at that).   
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: VU2010 on January 30, 2019, 08:54:46 AM
Lottich isn't ready for any of this. Plain and simple. He's not. And when he doesn't have a Peters on the team to mask his inept ability to coach or lead this team, his inexperience shows. Not his fault - he hasn't ever been the head coach before and had ZERO coaching experience prior to his time at Valpo. He *could* be a good coach someday. The question is ... are we such a subpar program that we'll be the ones who continually say: "wait until next year!" Or "trust the process!" and ride it out until he has the players to execute? Like seriously we should be a 25+ win team next year with the roster we'll have. But I'm sure something will happen to prohibit that from occurring. And like always everyone will make excuses.

Well how about a guy like Bryce Drew?  I can tell you, the fans in Nashville are getting a little antzy.  He recruited 2 five star players, one projected to a be a high first rounder after one year.  Guess what?  That guy went down for the season and now Vandy is 9-11 having lost the last 8 in a row and the last 2 by 31 and then 35 points--after which Bryce said "I was proud of our effort.  I was proud of our fight throughout the second half.  They never quit"  Sound familiar?

Look, to say Matt can't coach is just wrong.  Has he made young coach mistakes?  Absolutely.  He also took this Valpo team down to Missouri State and beat them by 16.  A place where Missouri State destroyed Loyola by 35!!!!!!!!!!!  So what went wrong last night?  Maybe not having 29 points, 6 boards and two guys who shot 7 of 13 from the 3, available  from the first outing?  Just sayin...

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2019/01/29/kentucky-vs-vanderbilt-contender-vs-clown-show-and-commodores-misery/2707790002/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2010

Great points Oklahoma. Some of that can be chalked up to bad breaks. But you also have to ask: is it all bad breaks or is there a common denominator? Are the injuries - to this capacity - a byproduct of strength and conditioning? The facilities? Trainers?

And, as for the cases involving Jubril - I'm still awaiting an answer as to why he had to sit out. As for Joe, what did the guy honestly do??? If egregious in nature (which I don't think it was), it would've hit the media. Academics? Maybe? If so and that was also the case for Jubril ... you have to ask ... there's thousands of players out there ... coaches figure it out and have a support team in place to help them academically ... could we have done better?

M

Blaming rolled ankles on strength and conditioning is ridiculous.

craftyrighthander

There are plenty of areas in which Lottich can be analyzed.  Injuries?  Unlikely.  I know that saying "we caught bad breaks with injuries" leaves us feeling hollow, because we always want someone to blame.  As Coach Boone's wife said in Remember the Titans, "Sometimes bad things just happen."