• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

IrishDawg

Quote from: vu72 on March 09, 2019, 08:24:25 AM
Dude, have you not followed the physical issues surrounding this team?  Do you think a healthy Ryan Fazekas won't help the team?  Do you think adding a guy like Eron Gordon, a top five kid coming out of Indiana or Nick Robinson, a top ten kid coming out of illinois or adding Donovon Clay, a 6'7" freaky athletic kid, won't make this a successful team?  I don't know either, but if you can't see the possibility of success then perhaps you should follow a different team.

And as far as fan favorites, I vote for an all freshman, all defensive team kid.  I'm pretty sure his name is Javon Freeman.

I would definitely have faith in Robinson's ability to produce at a level that Valpo can use immediately.  He's already done it, and he didn't use a high volume of possessions at Saint Joseph's (which is perfect given how balanced Valpo could be offensively next year), and is a solid 3 point shooter.  I do think I would pump the brakes a bit on Gordon's ability to fill it up at the college level until you see him in action next year.  He barely played at Seton Hall, and rarely shot it.

As for Fazekas, you certainly hope that he can remain healthy for a full season, but some guys are just snake-bitten when it comes to illnesses/injuries, and it seems like Ryan has been plagued by that for the 4 years he's been in college basketball. 

Clay, again, I would just hold off judgement until you see him in action next year.  Given that Valpo currently has Robinson, Golder and Fazekas all primed to play on the wing next year, I think Clay is probably a year away from making any offensive impact, barring transfers or injuries.  He could be impactful on the defensive end though, which is a good way (as Freeman and Sackey showed) for him to be impactful without asking the world of him.

While this year didn't wind up how you would hope, there is a lot of theoretical flexibility with positions in the lineup next year.  Really the only spot where the team might be a bit thin going into next year is at point guard, as Sackey is really the only guy coming back who has shown the ability to play the role of distributor at the college level.

wh

What would Derrik hope to gain by transferring?  He doesn't fit the definition of a mid-major star looking to move up to validate his abilities. Nor is he a bench rider looking to go where he can play a more active role before his playing career ends. That's not to say that high majors won't try to sell him a bill of goods. A lot of programs could be interested in rounding out next year's roster with a once-and-done 7' role player.

wh

What would Derrik hope to gain by transferring?  He doesn't fit the definition of a mid-major star looking to move up to validate his abilities. Nor is he a bench rider looking to go where he can play a more active role before his playing career ends. That's not to say that high majors won't try to sell him a bill of goods. A lot of programs could be interested in rounding out next year's roster with a once-and-done 7' back-up center.

crusader05

If it's a back injury though those can be really tricky and you want to avoid surgery on the back at all costs. If he was having MRIs done it might be a slipped disc and the idea was to give him as much time to heal as possible.

JD24

Quote from: wh on March 09, 2019, 08:53:47 AMWhat would Derrik hope to gain by transferring?  He doesn't fit the definition of a mid-major star looking to move up to validate his abilities. Nor is he a bench rider looking to go where he can play a more active role before his playing career ends. That's not to say that high majors won't try to sell him a bill of goods. A lot of programs could be interested in rounding out next year's roster with a once-and-done 7' role player.
Tend to agree here. Unless he found a coach he was absolutely certain (in his eyes) could help him improve and keep the playing time he'd get at Valpo. If he were to go to a P5 conference, I think he gets eaten alive and would serve him no purpose whatsoever. However we are not he and he may have other thoughts. I think he can certainly help Valpo next season although I do agree that he sometimes grinds things to a halt offensively and needs to improve defensively.

Overall I think the team will be deeper next season which will eliminate the need for Kiser types to play any significant minutes (or at least should). Freeman is the player I worry about transferring at some point. He has a chance to be a very very good player. If he goes, the program will be set back significantly. I think the program can survive if any other player leaves.

mj

QuoteWhat would Derrik hope to gain by transferring?

The experience of playing basketball in a major conference? The opportunity to attend a large school? Better weather? There are tons of reasons why you might want to leave Valpo.

Look at Richie Edwards, who transferred to ASU from Valpo when he had one year of eligibility left.

You stick at Valpo if you think there's a chance the team can be special. You leave if you think Valpo is going nowhere. That's why I said that Smits is a barometer of where this program is at.

In a way, the student section is also a good indicator. We wonder why hardly any students attend the games. Maybe living on campus, they have a better viewpoint of where the program is at...
I believe that we will win.

JD24

Quote from: mj on March 09, 2019, 11:33:56 AM
QuoteWhat would Derrik hope to gain by transferring?
The experience of playing basketball in a major conference? 
It would be the "playing" that could be the issue.

EddieCabot

Quote from: mj on March 09, 2019, 11:33:56 AM
You stick at Valpo if you think there's a chance the team can be special. You leave if you think Valpo is going nowhere. That's why I said that Smits is a barometer of where this program is at.

Players will stay/leave for various reasons.  Players who have no shot at meaningful playing time due to all the studs becoming eligible next year will either leave for greener pastures or stay around to enjoy what should be one of the best seasons in Valpo history, even if they are watching it from the bench.

VU2014

Can't stop thinking about the potential transfers we might see this offseason and wondering how the staff might go about filling these scholarships.

Does anyone else think we could use another experienced PG if Micah does end up transferring at some point. Micah might end up staying because there is a glaring need for a true floor general after Lavender's graduation. I'm not sure Sackey is ready to be the primary PG. He has a lot of work to put in this offseason. He needs to play more controlled this season. I loved his defensive tenacity this season but he needs to improve on offense like his shooting and free throw shooting badly, particularly because his athleticism is going to get him to the FT line a lot the next 3 seasons.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on March 10, 2019, 11:04:00 PM
Can't stop thinking about the potential transfers we might see this offseason and wondering how the staff might go about filling these scholarships.

Does anyone else think we could use another experienced PG if Micah does end up transferring at some point. Micah might end up staying because there is a glaring need for a true floor general after Lavender's graduation. I'm not sure Sackey is ready to be the primary PG. He has a lot of work to put in this offseason. He needs to play more controlled this season. I loved his defensive tenacity this season but he needs to improve on offense like his shooting and free throw shooting badly, particularly because his athleticism is going to get him to the FT line a lot the next 3 seasons.

Might Javon play more on the point or is Eron going to be the primary point? He was listed as Seton's backup point. My guess is they are trying to find a shooter or another big so Ryan can play more three rather than the four.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

I sure hope we are looking for a shooter(s)!

oklahomamick

The MVC message board doesn't believe in the Valpo roster for next year and suggest the transfer bug may hit us. 

With that said, it's not only our fan base that see's the luckluster ability of the coach. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Nobody understands the inside like an insider. The team should have a near perfect understanding of what Robinson and Gordon can or can not deliver. They should be able to gauge their playing time potentials with reasonable accuracy. They should also have a good understanding of how well the Lottich offense might function with a full roster of healthy players.

So lets watch the transfers. Departures by McMillan or Bradford might signify nothing. Anybody else going and I'll start to sweat. Two from this group looks like a vote of no confidence. A stampede for the exits looks like a coaching change waiting to happen.

Valpo Joe

If I were Micha I'd look at the Div2 teams in the nine states that have legalized weed 8-) He wouldn't have to put up with the Valpo POlice and their strong armed tactics :thumbsup:

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on March 11, 2019, 11:22:36 AM
Nobody understands the inside like an insider. The team should have a near perfect understanding of what Robinson and Gordon can or can not deliver. They should be able to gauge their playing time potentials with reasonable accuracy. They should also have a good understanding of how well the Lottich offense might function with a full roster of healthy players.

So lets watch the transfers. Departures by McMillan or Bradford might signify nothing. Anybody else going and I'll start to sweat. Two from this group looks like a vote of no confidence. A stampede for the exits looks like a coaching change waiting to happen.

I don't think McMillan will transfer and I hope he doesn't. I still believe in him and his abilities. It's been a slow process but there are some improvements in his game. I know we all sound like a broken record but he needs to learn not to foul. He has these glimpses of brilliance but he just puts himself in foul trouble and other teams know this and can exploited that at times.

EddieCabot

After giving it some thought, my hope is that nobody transfers.  Despite some tough times this year, I never got the sense that any players were unhappy.  I assume the team realizes the tremendous opportunity they have for a special season in '19-'20 and hope they all want to stay and be a part of it.

On a side note, if everyone stays, the only "new" player next year will be the incoming freshman.  I'm looking forward to a season free from excuses (explanations?) involving mentions of "new players" and "young team".  I can dream, right?

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 12, 2019, 07:35:30 AMOn a side note, if everyone stays, the only "new" player next year will be the incoming freshman.  I'm looking forward to a season free from excuses (explanations?) involving mentions of "new players" and "young team".  I can dream, right?

There is always injuries such as Fazekas ankle or a new injury for Ryan or the laundry still needs to be done. It will be interesting to see if Lottich ever comes around to pointing the finger at himself. 

SanityLost17

I am just glad Valpo is not this team (See attachment -- I hope the file attached). 

I mean look at that brutal 11 game stretch.  A bunch of bad losses and only 2 narrow victories against crap teams where they trailed good portions of the game.   That team needs to move on from that coach and players need to transfer because there is no way a team like that is ever going to make the NCAA tournament.

(Yes....The sarcasm is THICK in this post)   

wh

For the past 2 seasons, Matt has changed starting lineups and rotations from the first game to the last. Obviously, some of it was due to ongoing injuries, but not all. For example, Bakari and Deion went from starters to back ups, then back to starters just before the tournament. Daniel's role changed when theirs changed. Mileek went from starter to backup to out of the rotation. Derrik and Jay switched frequently. Even Kiser was inserted in the starting lineup occasionally to shake things up. With only 1 new player we should be able to get the starting lineup right before the first exhibit game and hit the ground running. Even if we have injuries along the way , we shouldn't have to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch. Establish some givens right up front. #1. Bakari is too wildly inconsistent to ever be counted on as a starter. It Derrik's indifferent attitude toward playing defense improves during the off-season, start him every game because overall he is more skilled than Jay. If it doesn't, never start him. If he doesn't get it as a 5th year senior, he never will.

Good programs simply do not have this level of game to game chaos all season long.

vu72

Quote from: wh on March 12, 2019, 12:45:07 PM
For the past 2 seasons, Matt has changed starting lineups and rotations from the first game to the last. Obviously, some of it was due to ongoing injuries, but not all. For example, Bakari and Deion went from starters to back ups, then back to starters just before the tournament. Daniel's role changed when theirs changed. Mileek went from starter to backup to out of the rotation. Derrik and Jay switched frequently. Even Kiser was inserted in the starting lineup occasionally to shake things up. With only 1 new player we should be able to get the starting lineup right before the first exhibit game and hit the ground running. Even if we have injuries along the way , we shouldn't have to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch. Establish some givens right up front. #1. Bakari is too wildly inconsistent to ever be counted on as a starter. It Derrik's indifferent attitude toward playing defense improves during the off-season, start him every game because overall he is more skilled than Jay. If it doesn't, never start him. If he doesn't get it as a 5th year senior, he never will.

Good programs simply do not have this level of game to game chaos all season long.

Starting five:

Gordon at the point
Javon at the 2
Smits/Jay at the 5
Ryan at the 4
Robinson at the 3

Second five:
Daniel at the point
Bakari at the 2
Smits/Jay at the 5
Kiser/Mileek at the 4
Golder at the 3

Wild cards?  Micah and Clay.. If Micah comes back and find himself again, he is a very good point who can make a 3.Can he defend?  Clay is a long, very solid defender who also can drive the lane.  Who knows how his game will react to D1.  That 13 guys who can play roles and/or be leaders.Who steps their game up and who will end up at the end of the bench?  If we collapse only one person can be blamed.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

If Daniel doesn't handle the ball any better or shoot any better than he did this year,  he should be our third option at the point.

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on March 12, 2019, 01:29:45 PM
Quote from: wh on March 12, 2019, 12:45:07 PM

Starting five:

Gordon at the point
Javon at the 2
Smits/Jay at the 5
Ryan at the 4
Robinson at the 3

Second five:
Daniel at the point
Bakari at the 2
Smits/Jay at the 5
Kiser/Mileek at the 4
Golder at the 3

Wild cards?  Micah and Clay.. If Micah comes back and find himself again, he is a very good point who can make a 3.Can he defend?  Clay is a long, very solid defender who also can drive the lane.  Who knows how his game will react to D1.  That 13 guys who can play roles and/or be leaders.Who steps their game up and who will end up at the end of the bench?  If we collapse only one person can be blamed.

Lots of quality pieces, but that roster still appears to be lacking outside threats.  Valpo shot 31% from three this year, good for 309th "best" in DI.  Gordon, Robinson, Freeman, Bradford and Sackey are perimeter players who have career 3P% of under 30%.  Fazekas was great this year when healthy, but he's going to need some help next season.

GoldenCrusader87

Pure inference here but Daniel strikes me as the kind of guy who IS going to work on his flaws. How much he can improve upon them is to be determined. But, his progress won't be halted by a lack of effort to try and get better.

The fact of the matter is that it'll be a good thing if these are the sorts of conversations we're having at the beginning of next season as well as during the season. That would mean guys are competing for playing time and in turn making one another (and themselves) better. That's a win for all of us.

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 12, 2019, 02:58:01 PMLots of quality pieces, but that roster still appears to be lacking outside threats.  Valpo shot 31% from three this year, good for 309th "best" in DI.  Gordon, Robinson, Freeman, Bradford and Sackey are perimeter players who have career 3P% of under 30%.  Fazekas was great this year when healthy, but he's going to need some help next season.

Looking at roster balance we don't need another guard unless one leaves, but we do need better guard production. If one transfers then yes we already know what we need.

As for our point guard rotation I would expect Robinson to play 5 to 10 minutes of point no mater who starts. He did some of that at St Joseph so this will give us a point Hammink situational changeup look. This should allow us to match up better with our stronger OOC foes.

VU2014

It sounds like Lottich doesn't expect any transfers but I wouldn't expect him to say otherwise publicly.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1105527389931614209