• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

10/29/11: Hillsdale Game Thread

Started by vu72, October 24, 2011, 09:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

These guys may be tougher than some of us thought.  They have plenty of size:

http://www.hillsdale.edu/athletics/mens_basketball/roster.asp

Here is a preview interview with their coach: (actually this looks like last year's preview but you can get some idea anyway!)

http://www.gliac.org/mediaDay/mbkb/index
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on October 24, 2011, 09:54:09 AM
These guys may be tougher than some of us thought.  They have plenty of size:

Here is a preview interview with their coach: (actually this looks like last year's preview but you can get some idea anyway!)

That assessment is spot on.  Hillsdale returns their top 4 scorers from last year's very good 20-6 team. 

They aren't IUSB or Purdue North Central ... they'll provide a meaningful test.  A convincing win would certainly be a good sign for the season.  Good luck!

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on October 24, 2011, 10:51:31 AM

That assessment is spot on.  Hillsdale returns their top 4 scorers from last year's very good 20-6 team. 

They aren't IUSB or Purdue North Central ... they'll provide a meaningful test.  A convincing win would certainly be a good sign for the season.  Good luck!

It wouldn't be the first time we lost to a good non-D-1 team:

11-1-09    U. Indianapolis 88 Valpo 83

I was at that game.  We were clearly outplayed - especially in the post.  Cory and Michael Rogers got schooled down low by some guy who definitely like he could (and should) have been playing at a higher level. 

vu84v2

1997-1998:  Lost to Bethel in first game (without Bryce).  As I recall, the team seemed to get it together as the season went on.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: wh on October 24, 2011, 12:35:22 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on October 24, 2011, 10:51:31 AM

It wouldn't be the first time we lost to a good non-D-1 team:

11-1-09    U. Indianapolis 88 Valpo 83

I was at that game.  We were clearly outplayed - especially in the post.  Cory and Michael Rogers got schooled down low by some guy who definitely like he could (and should) have been playing at a higher level. 

i remember that game. that was painful to sit through.

historyman

Interesting that you would now say this:

Quote from: historyman on September 06, 2011, 01:17:07 PM
The Crusaders better not take Hillsdale for granted. They have a 7' 1" center named Brandon Crane from Midland, MI who is a redshirt freshman playing his first game for Hillsdale against Valpo.

http://www.hillsdale.edu/admissions/news/news_story.asp?iNewsID=2354&strBack=%2Fadmissions%2Fnews%2Fnews_archive.asp

Averaged more than four blocks per game in each of his last two seasons for MHS, and helped the team double its win total from the year before in 2009-10...Was a team captain for two years and broke school records for most blocked shots in a game (11), season (103) and career (223)...Averaged 10 points per game as a senior, and is among the state of Michigan's all-time best shot blockers.

We don't need a repeat of the U of Indianapolis loss.

Quote from: vu72 on September 06, 2011, 01:45:40 PM
Somehow I think we can match his size  :o  but am concerned about any 7'1" who could average a mighty 10 ppg playing in high school.   ;)  Funny how they don't list his weight...just a guess...200??  Can you imagine him trying to push Kevin around!  Do you think there is a reason why he is at Hillsdale and not a D1??

vu72

Just looked at the hillsdale site and there is no mention of the game.  Interesting how D2 and D3 schools either don't care or have such a small staff they can't even write a story.

This is a BIG change for them.  I looked back several years and they never have played a D1 to start the season or ever, for that matter.  Not only do they face us, they follow it up with a game at Michigan State.  I think someone might find this of interest  ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on October 26, 2011, 08:43:05 AM
Just looked at the hillsdale site and there is no mention of the game.  Interesting how D2 and D3 schools either don't care or have such a small staff they can't even write a story.

This is a BIG change for them.  I looked back several years and they never have played a D1 to start the season or ever, for that matter.  Not only do they face us, they follow it up with a game at Michigan State.  I think someone might find this of interest  ???
I suspect that the issue is access. The people to whom this is interesting have no access to update or add to the website.  We had similar issues at Tech.  Staffs are much smaller at these schools and day to day activity takes precedent.  We were never given access to make updates even though my full time job was in software development and I was completely capable of making any update that we would have liked to make. The answer was always "sorry, you are not authorized to do that, we will get someone to make those changes for you" and it rarely happened.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on October 26, 2011, 09:11:09 AM
I suspect that the issue is access. The people to whom this is interesting have no access to update or add to the website.  We had similar issues at Tech.  Staffs are much smaller at these schools and day to day activity takes precedent.  We were never given access to make updates even though my full time job was in software development and I was completely capable of making any update that we would have liked to make. The answer was always "sorry, you are not authorized to do that, we will get someone to make those changes for you" and it rarely happened.

Interesting!  I can imagine that, even in a more open technological environment (e.g. if they were willing to give access to the coaches), that time must be very tight.  It's a constant task to keep information flowing and websites updated.  It must be hard without a dedicated person to handle it (SID, or content-producing webmaster, etc.).

EddieCabot

"98-52"??  If you're giving 46 points, I'll put $100 on Hillsdale.  I'll contact you after the game with my mailing address.

sectionee

I'm definitely a gambling addict, but would certainly have to adjust the point spread a bit before taking any friendly wagers.  The point is the game won't be close.

EddieCabot

Quote from: sectionee on October 26, 2011, 07:08:16 PM
I'm definitely a gambling addict, but would certainly have to adjust the point spread a bit before taking any friendly wagers.  The point is the game won't be close.

What's your defintion of "close"?  FWIW, it Valpo dominates this game and wins by 40+ points, I'm moving all my chips behind them to win the league.  Hillsdale is better (much better) than several of the teams on your regular season schedule.  In fact, they might be better than some Horizon League teams this year.  

vu72

I just focused on the athletic website to notice that, for the first time, the football game will be on the net video wise. Apparently they can't move the equipment back into the ARC fast enough  :crazy: because for the first time in my recollection the basketball game won't be televised.  In fact it appears it won't even be on the radio!

What the heck is up with that??   :'(

vusupporter

Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2011, 11:24:02 AM
I just focused on the athletic website to notice that, for the first time, the football game will be on the net video wise. Apparently they can't move the equipment back into the ARC fast enough  :crazy: because for the first time in my recollection the basketball game won't be televised.  In fact it appears it won't even be on the radio!

Exhibition games traditionally haven't been video streamed.  Keeps early opponents from being able to scout this year's team.  We're not the only school in the league that doesn't video stream exhibitions - looking at the HL site, it appears UIC, Milwaukee and Cleveland State are the only schools streaming exhibitions.

Pgmado

Looks like you'll have to follow on Twitter or the live blogs!

@NWIOren
#ValpoHoops

valpofan56

Quote from: vusupporter on October 28, 2011, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2011, 11:24:02 AM

Exhibition games traditionally haven't been video streamed.  Keeps early opponents from being able to scout this year's team.  We're not the only school in the league that doesn't video stream exhibitions - looking at the HL site, it appears UIC, Milwaukee and Cleveland State are the only schools streaming exhibitions.

If I recall correctly, exhibition games have been streamed live in the past, but they just weren't archived on the HLN site.

agibson

Definitely not archived, historically.  Traditionally the archive was... what... no non-conference games, except maybe those that occur after the bulk (not the preview) of the conference schedule has started.

valporun

I think it was usually games after January 1st were archived, basically meaning that even the first one or two HL games, depending on travel partners, weren't archived either. I'd rather have the basketball exhibition broadcast, and leave the football game to audio only, but we'll just have to live without it, I guess.

agibson

I am a little surprised that WVUR's covering the soccer game, instead of the basketball.  Then again, the soccer game actually counts in the standings!

But, the athletics folks come through again.  In addition to GameTracker, there will be a live basketball chat.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/11132/join-the-live-chat-for-bryces-first-game-saturday-night/

So, at least a small bone thrown to the die-hard, remote, fans.

johnestuff

Will game tracker still be available later on tonight? I am not able to access it until later.

agibson

I think it was meant to be.

Soccer and basketball seem to be exactly synced, so looks like I'll miss the action.  But, at least it's warm in the ARC.

Valpo 33-31 at the half.

Soccer's tied nill nill.  UIC looked very dangerous a couple of times, but relatively even.  We may have had a bit more possession.

Anybody have the score of the Green Bay Wright State soccer game?  Only tweet I could find, uwgb les - meaning valpo can't clinch tonight.

Crusader03

Quote from: agibson on October 29, 2011, 08:01:54 PM
I think it was meant to be.

Soccer and basketball seem to be exactly synced, so looks like I'll miss the action.  But, at least it's warm in the ARC.

Valpo 33-31 at the half.

Soccer's tied nill nill.  UIC looked very dangerous a couple of times, but relatively even.  We may have had a bit more possession.

Anybody have the score of the Green Bay Wright State soccer game?  Only tweet I could find, uwgb les - meaning valpo can't clinch tonight.

Valpo clinched tonight

RS

Valpo wins 73 -71 on field goal and free throw by Van Wijk with 5 seconds remaining. Kevin scored 23 , Ryan 20 and Harris 10 to lead crusaders.  Team had terrible shooting night. Free throws won the game since Valpo made 26 out of 39. Hillsdale only made 9 of 15. three point shooting was terrible. Won't get into negative about players but Hillsdale outplayed Valpo. They were bigger and took advantage of their size. Fouls were our only saving grace. Still need a long way to go before D1 competition starts. Fair sized crowd. Not many students but scoreboard was as good as advertized.