• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Krikke

Started by GoldenCrusader87, February 02, 2020, 08:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenCrusader87

Last night, we all got to witness what Krikke brings to the table. We've seen it in spurts. But, last night he finally got the minutes. He's the best post player  we've got from a pure basketball standpoint. As in, he's a basketball player who has the touch, the finesse, the basketball IQ, and several of the other intangibles.

You don't have to make a couple hundred grand a year or be a basketball savant to see that. It's time for Krikke to get more PT. We've all said it - I know John is the fan favorite and is to be respected for his effort and so forth. But, Krikke takes us to a different level. No reason why Krikke should be spilling John. John gives 100% no doubt. But when you really watch the game he just flat out gets out-sized and out-athleted by guys. Not his fault. He's a role player but we need to recognize what we've got behind him.

Also, I'd love to see Freese-Vilien get some PT. It's not rocket science to see the chemistry some of these guys have when you put them in at the same time.

Does Krikke deserve his own thread? Time shall tell but I think so ...

Just Sayin

Krikke: Per 40 Minutes of play
Source: Sports-Reference
(Minimum of 20 Games Played) Fazekas numbers excluded

2pt%: 1st Place 66.1
3pt%: 10th Place 28.0
FT%: 3rd Place 75.0
TRB: Tied for 5th Place with Mileek 7
Ast: 6th Place 2.2
Stl: 7th Place 1.5
Blk: Tied for 2nd Place with Mileek 1.5
Tov: 9th Fewest Place 1.7
PF: 3rd Most Place 3.6

Other:

PER: 2nd Place 21.5 behind JFL
BPM: 2nd Place 2.9 behind JFL
WS: 4th Place 1.3
Usage %: 4th Place 18.6

JD24

I hesitate to pimp players right after a particularly good game or rag on them after a particularly bad game and it should be the same with Krikke who has been invisible for a period of time prior to this last game. This isn't uncommon with non star freshman because they often don't get the opportunity to fight through it as maybe a freshman JFL might. We also may not see issues which limit playing time, particularly on defense, where a player might not be positioned correctly and screws things up completely. I've thought Lorange has had this issue offensively as when he's in the game he seems consistently "mis spaced".

It's also maybe time for the staff to begin looking forward rather than the present and move Krikke ahead of Kiser who's game is 90% intangibles. They'll be some growing pains but tournament play and next year will be better for it in all liklihood.

Freese-Vilien I'm not a fan of....at least not yet. He appears lead footed and slow to the ball which limits any impact his size might have.

NativeCheesehead

I'd love to see some sets with Krikke on the floor as a 5 and Mileek as a stretch 4. You couldn't run it often with Mileek's foul issues and EFV's lack of development, but it'd be a nice change of pace to throw at someone coming out of a timeout. I feel it's important for Kirkke to get as many minutes as possible against good competition down the stretch for his development into next year. Mileek could be very effective against the oppositions second team for 15-18 min a game, which is basically what he ends up getting with fouls anyway.

VUGrad1314

I urge patience with Freese-Villen. Not that I've necesarily seen much to warrant that only for the sole fact that big men can take awhile to develop. They can't all be Cameron Krutwig especially at this level.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 03, 2020, 07:25:34 AM
I urge patience with Freese-Villen. Not that I've necesarily seen much to warrant that only for the sole fact that big men can take awhile to develop. They can't all be Cameron Krutwig especially at this level.

So true and as I recall, he only has played basketball for a few years.  Clearly he was brought in as a project. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Case in point for those still skeptical: Look at how Marty Linssen is doing at UNCW. We sure could use his size and rebounding on this roster that's for sure.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 03, 2020, 08:30:40 AM
Case in point for those still skeptical: Look at how Marty Linssen is doing at UNCW. We sure could use his size and rebounding on this roster that's for sure.

Speaking of projects I just checked Sorolla to see how his transfer is working out. He is shooting 58% but has only 50 points in 164 minutes. He is getting a few minutes most every game but he might well have averaged 22 had he stayed. Even with our pressure defense and run the floor offense I think Matt could have gotten more mileage out of Jay than have the Bearcats.

valpo95

I think we all agree that he is a solid player, and we should root for him to be successful at UNCW. He didn't have an amazing freshman year, yet there obviously was some potential.

However, we don't know the entire story. At minimum, he had to make a decision about his future as a freshman, when the possibility of playing two more years behind (or with) Smits and Sorolla would have loomed large. Good luck to him, yet we should focus on the players we have rather than the players no longer on the roster.

nkvu

Quote from: justducky on February 03, 2020, 08:43:20 AM

Speaking of projects I just checked Sorolla to see how his transfer is working out. He is shooting 58% but has only 50 points in 164 minutes. He is getting a few minutes most every game but he might well have averaged 22 had he stayed. Even with our pressure defense and run the floor offense I think Matt could have gotten more mileage out of Jay than have the Bearcats.

Smits is having a similar season with Butler.

As for Jay, after his transfer the UC coach brought over a transfer kid from NKU who is frankly taller and better than Jay.

M

I was very impressed with Krikke.  I'm a big Mileek supporter but Ben played much better the other night. I do think Krikke is probably better served coming off the bench and providing a spark from there this year. I'm very excited to see him play the next few years.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: nkvu on February 03, 2020, 09:04:43 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 03, 2020, 08:30:40 AMCase in point for those still skeptical: Look at how Marty Linssen is doing at UNCW. We sure could use his size and rebounding on this roster that's for sure.
Smits is having a similar season with Butler. As for Jay, after his transfer the UC coach brought over a transfer kid from NKU who is frankly taller and better than Jay.

Yeah Vogt is his name right? He was pretty solid. Brannen recruited really well at NKU. His departure is also why Domask is in the Valley. He was an NKU commit who bailed on that commitment when Brannen did and Mullins wisely scooped him up.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 03, 2020, 09:45:17 AMSmits is having a similar season with Butler. As for Jay, after his transfer the UC coach brought over a transfer kid from NKU who is frankly taller and better than Jay.

Almost identical!  Smits playing 11.0 minutes scoring 3.8 ppg and 2.0 boards.  Jay 10.9 minutes scoring 3.3 ppg and 2.4 boards.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2020, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 03, 2020, 09:45:17 AMSmits is having a similar season with Butler. As for Jay, after his transfer the UC coach brought over a transfer kid from NKU who is frankly taller and better than Jay.

Almost identical!  Smits playing 11.0 minutes scoring 3.8 ppg and 2.0 boards.  Jay 10.9 minutes scoring 3.3 ppg and 2.4 boards.

Does make me wonder about the wisdom of trying to move up to a P5 team as a grad transfer. Is it better for your potential pro career to sit on the bench playing just enough to give the starters a rest, or to play 20+ minutes a game in a good mid-major conference?  I suppose practicing against higher caliber players could be beneficial, but if you don't get on the court enough to show improvement, who would notice?  I don't recall that any of our transfers to P5 schools helped themselves much professionally by doing that. Wood may have been closest as he got good playing time at Michigan State, but did he ever get any kind of look from the NBA?  Skara also played a lot at Clemson and maybe that's helped him playing overseas. I really haven't followed him much after he left.

GoldenCrusader87

Great posts here. Lots of good dialogue. As many of you pointed out when it happened, the loss of Smarolla allows for a much quicker tempo offensive pace, which is exciting.

As pointed out, I'd love to see some sets with Mileek and Krikke. Mileek had a nice post move last game, which was exciting. I'd love to see him muscle guys around more. He's got the size and frame. But, he's really more of a stretch 4 - he seemingly prefers shooting outside the arc than in the paint.

Krikke - though nowhere near the mass yet - has some post moves no doubt. Just seems more natural to him.

As for Clay, I'll admit that I wasn't on the wagon like many others were from the get go. After watching him play 20 games, he's far-exceeded my expectations.

Next year could be a good one for us. Gotta feel for Ryan as he still doesn't look 100%. Kiser is a good floor general and hustle guy, which the younger players need.

Been pleased with Daniel's play as of late and excited for Gordon and Nick as they find their roles.

valpo84

BWood has had a consistent international pro career.  His transfer to MSU was designed for the opportunity for a Nat'l Chip, which met a number of goals for him.  Had he stayed his last eligible year, he would have been a Horizon League POY candidate.  He averaged 8 pts a game, played 20+ minutes, and played on a Big Ten Champ team and made the Sweet 16 with guys like Draymond, Appling, Dawson, etc.  He played for the Windy City Bulls in the Gatorade League so he was a step away from the NBA (and the Bulls couldn't have used his scoring?).  BWood would be a great addition to a Valpo TBT team....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on February 03, 2020, 09:32:58 AM
I was very impressed with Krikke.  I'm a big Mileek supporter but Ben played much better the other night. I do think Krikke is probably better served coming off the bench and providing a spark from there this year. I'm very excited to see him play the next few years.

To give myself another POV, can you please elaborate on what makes you a big Mileek supporter?  I find myself in a vicious circle of finding a ton of tiny things he does wrong so that I don't keep an open mind.  Maybe I (and some others) could benefit from another opinion on Mileek.

This is not designed as a snarky post, it's just me admitting it's possible I cannot see the forest for the trees.

vu72

Quote from: valpo84 on February 03, 2020, 12:41:00 PM
BWood has had a consistent international pro career.  His transfer to MSU was designed for the opportunity for a Nat'l Chip, which met a number of goals for him.  Had he stayed his last eligible year, he would have been a Horizon League POY candidate.  He averaged 8 pts a game, played 20+ minutes, and played on a Big Ten Champ team and made the Sweet 16 with guys like Draymond, Appling, Dawson, etc.  He played for the Windy City Bulls in the Gatorade League so he was a step away from the NBA (and the Bulls couldn't have used his scoring?).  BWood would be a great addition to a Valpo TBT team....

For one thing, he is the best "big" (5)3 point shooter since Cory Johnson. Currently the same % as Kiser and Robinson, better than Sackey and JFL. That allows the middle to open up for guys like JFL. This WAY different than last year with Smirolla in the middle.  He is also very physical which is also way different than last year.

bbtds

As for Jay, after his transfer the UC coach brought over a transfer kid from NKU who is frankly taller and better than Jay.

Boy, did NKU lose a ton over the off season. That kid from NKU was the next best thing to McDonald on last year's Norse team. That was Vogt, correct?

nkvu

Quote from: bbtds on February 03, 2020, 08:34:03 PM

Boy, did NKU lose a ton over the off season. That kid from NKU was the next best thing to McDonald on last year's Norse team. That was Vogt, correct?

Yes. Btw, NKU is currently in second place behind Wright State in the standings having won their last two games.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on Today at 09:34:03 PM
Quote from: nkvu on February 03, 2020, 08:46:49 PM

Yes. Btw, NKU is currently in second place behind Wright State in the standings having won their last two games.

Second place in Horizon is not that much. Wright St is head & shoulders above the field. With NKU, Detroit, sad looking Oakland, Cleveland St, Youngstown St, IUPUI, UIC, UWGB & Milwaukee being the remaining teams it's easy to see why.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 03, 2020, 08:30:40 AMCase in point for those still skeptical: Look at how Marty Linssen is doing at UNCW. We sure could use his size and rebounding on this roster that's for sure.

Looks like Jay wasn't that happy in Cincinnati or he got a really good pro offer in Europe.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1224696387704623104

crusader05

Not surprised. I had heard when he entered the transfer portal that he was hoping to get an offer abroad and when it didn't immediately pan out he went somewhere that he thought would better increase his visibility.

nkvu

Quote from: crusader05 on February 04, 2020, 11:32:12 AM
Not surprised. I had heard when he entered the transfer portal that he was hoping to get an offer abroad and when it didn't immediately pan out he went somewhere that he thought would better increase his visibility.

Once Brannon brought his own better guy over after Jay committed the writing was on the wall. I doubt Jay had any idea that was going to happen so I don't blame him much for bailing and going back to Europe.

VUGrad1314

Good riddance. Have fun in Europe Jay doing the same thing you could have done after a strong season at Valpo. He bailed on the program so I don't really care what happened to him at Cincinnati. Them's the breaks. Hope he learned a lesson: The grass isn't always greener in the transfer portal.