• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2020

Started by M, March 08, 2020, 07:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Agreed and well said VUgrad, I also thought JLF excelled in our system.  Less half court offence, no 7 footer clogging up the lane, more fast pace and get the ball down the court.  Suited JLF well this year. 

I also think JLF would have left last year but didn't feel good about sitting out.  He is probably pretty confident he will get a hardship otherwise he would stay? 

We need to get DePaul on the schedule next year. 
CRUSADERS!!!

govalpogo

Oren on USH: "Goodnews on Instagram yesterday," 'What number should I wear in college next year, 0 or 00?'"  Love it!

wh

Quote from: FWalum on May 01, 2020, 05:46:15 PM
Quote from: wh on May 01, 2020, 01:22:18 PMGoodnews Kpegeol
Quote from: wh on May 01, 2020, 01:22:18 PM
Quote from: vusupporter on May 01, 2020, 01:04:51 PM
Quote from: wh on May 01, 2020, 12:54:11 PM
Im going to hype the Ryan thing for all it's worth until it's no longer a thing. ;)

Did you know?
Ryan was the top 3-pt. shooter in college basketball this year at 49.5% (47-95). He needed to play in 75% of his team's games to officially qualify, which he didn't reach (played in 18; needed 25). The official winner shot 47-something. That still doesn't change the fact that he's the best in D-1 among 4000+ players.

I assume you checked on the other non-qualifiers from each of the other 350-ish teams, too?

I never thought of that. Not that it matters now, but I just painstakingly went through the individual stats for 330+ D-1 programs and found 457 players who shot 50% or better from 3 but didn't qualify. I guess Ryan's accomplishment is no big deal after all.
How many of those took over 5 3's per game??? I think this would be a much better stat if it was measured by the number of shots taken either by the whole season or on a per game basis.  How many of those 457 players took 95 threes over the season or shot over 5.25 3's per game

Apparently, I should have put a "wink" emoji at the end of my post lol. I was amused that vusupporter was concerned that I might have missed someone who shot 1-1 or 3-4 or 6-10 for the year. That prompted my less-than-serious reply about having painstakingly checked every roster in college basketball to make sure that didn't happen. Just poking a little fun.

VUGrad1314

DePaul WILL be on one MVC team's schedule. They've agreed to a home and home with Loyola. Say what you will about DePaul's recent performance but the Ramblers' ability to get a Big East team (even one in the same city) to come to Gentile is a huge get for them and is huge for the conference. Let's hope they can win that game and take advantage of whatever success the Blue Demons may have!

VALPO LI

Loyola gets DePaul for a Home and Home and Valpo gets UIC.
That's what going to the final 4 gets you.
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

Was this contact\interest from when we were trying to figure out how to replace JFL or...? Is there more coming Paul?

https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1256015398199164929

tiny707

Tyler Johnson is a 2021 grad.

VUGrad1314

Fail on my part. My bad. Thank you for clearing that up.  :-[ :lol:

usc4valpo

I wish JFL all the best, and my father is a DePaul alum, but that athletic department needs a root rooter enema. We are fortunate to have MLB as Valpo AD over the crapola DePaul has. 40 years ago DePaul basketball was one of top athletic draw and now no one cares.

VUGrad1314

I think even up until a few years into the Jordan era the Blue Demons were more popular in Chicago than the Bulls. Is that true?

vu72

Maybe ya'll are being a little to hard on DePaul.  True, they finished last in the Big East, but...They had wins over Iowa, Minnesota, Texas Tech, Northwestern, Butler, Georgetown and Xavier.  This with a roster with 5 freshman and 4 sophomores.  They bring back four of their top 5 scorers and add Javon??  Hmmm.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

Liberman is a high school freshman in the Bay Area who is aggressively reaching out to recruits all over the country. His first round of Valpo-related intel checked out (Palesse is very much on the radar), so I decided to retweet the next one about Valpo.

VUGrad1314

Possibly. But DePaul has been so bad for so long I have no choice but to take an I'll believe it when I see it stance with them. Everyone crowed about how good they were in the non conference and that DePaul basketball was back. Yeah, back in the cellar of the Big East as it turned out. They have to show me that they truly are back before I believe that they are. But a young team with that resume adding a player of Javon's caliber is certainly interesting to say the least. Since they're on their schedule, for Loyola's sake (and therefore the MVC's sake) I hope they truly are back so that if Loyola beats them that win will matter in the committee room.

David81

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 02, 2020, 08:54:35 AM
I think even up until a few years into the Jordan era the Blue Demons were more popular in Chicago than the Bulls. Is that true?

During the late 70s and early 80s, DePaul was an NCAA championship contender, and head coach Ray Meyer was the toast of the town, while the Bulls were truly stinking up the joint.

As a VU undergrad back then, I was there when -- believe it or not -- DePaul traveled to play VU at Hilltop gymnasium. They had two future NBA stars in forwards Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings, and an excellent point guard in Clyde Bradshaw. Valpo played them pretty close in 1st half, but the 2nd half DePaul ran away with it and won easily. Still, it was a great thrill to have what was the No. 1 ranked team at the time in our modest little home court.

bbtds

Quote from: David81 on May 02, 2020, 05:17:42 PM

During the late 70s and early 80s, DePaul was an NCAA championship contender, and head coach Ray Meyer was the toast of the town, while the Bulls were truly stinking up the joint.

As a VU undergrad back then, I was there when -- believe it or not -- DePaul traveled to play VU at Hilltop gymnasium. They had two future NBA stars in forwards Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings, and an excellent point guard in Clyde Bradshaw. Valpo played them pretty close in 1st half, but the 2nd half DePaul ran away with it and won easily. Still, it was a great thrill to have what was the No. 1 ranked team at the time in our modest little home court.

I remember walking off the court at Hilltop one time behind Dave Corzine and Ray Meyer. I believe that would have been about the same time.

valpospartan

My wife and I also were at that game.  Thanks for kindling the memory.

ValpoDad89

I know some people were knocking Javon on his timing of transfer announcement but I am thinking Matt knew well before the formal announcement as we sign Goodnews a day or two later and Freeman signs with DePaul after being in the portal for, I don't know, 24 hours? These moving parts came together fast. Makes one wonder if things were spinning behind the scenes.

As far as DePaul, like usc4valpo alluded to, they are a chocolate mess. You have an AD who basically is having her employer (the university) sued by a former contractor who alleges her brother, the former softball coach, both mentally and physically abused female coaches and players. The allegations are ugly. They are on top of other transgressions over the years. And then you have a basketball coach that has recruited some talent the last couple years and had a fringe NBA talent in Max Strus coupled with a legit NBA talent Paul Reed and only made the CBI and then last year tanked in the BE after an impressive non con season with said legit NBA talent and a Top 25 recruiting class (Romeo Weems and Markese Jacobs). Not the environment I'd want to be in right now...

And for Ray Meyer, what a fine person. If you met him you'd know how infectious his goodness was. He believed in the little guy and while I was a fan since 1978, I didn't realize or remember they played Valpo at Hilltop. But that's what he did. He helped the little guy either with a big pay day at home or would go tho their place to help legitimize the program. They would play at Pepperdine, Old Dominion, St. Mary's before they we big, same for Gonzaga. He always had an affection for the Catholic / religious private institutions. Back then they would annually play Loyola, Northwestern, Notre Dame, UCLA, Georgetown and St. John's as well. Ahhhh the days of being an independent.

valpo4life

Quote from: vu72 on May 02, 2020, 09:22:52 AM
Maybe ya'll are being a little to hard on DePaul.  True, they finished last in the Big East, but...They had wins over Iowa, Minnesota, Texas Tech, Northwestern, Butler, Georgetown and Xavier.  This with a roster with 5 freshman and 4 sophomores.  They bring back four of their top 5 scorers and add Javon??  Hmmm.

If I remember correctly, 2 of their top 3 scorers are actually leaving. Reed to the draft and Coleman-Lands transferred.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on May 02, 2020, 09:45:56 PM

I remember walking off the court at Hilltop one time behind Dave Corzine and Ray Meyer. I believe that would have been about the same time.

Had to be March 1, 1978 only time Dave Corzine, Ray Meyer, Mark Aguirre & Clyde Bradshaw all played together for the Blue Demons at Hilltop Gym.

EDIT: probably 2 different games. DePaul played at Hilltop also on February 13, 1980 against Aguirre & Bradshaw and Ray Meyer, losing 95-71. The Blue Demons were 20-0 going into the game at Hilltop and finished 26-2, losing to Notre Dame in 2 OTs at the Joyce Center, 76-74 and UCLA in the NCAA tournament in the 2nd round, 77-71 at Tempe, AZ.

usc4valpo

No, Corzine graduated from DePaul in 1978, and Aguirre started in the DePaul in the 1978-79 season. Corzine and Bradshaw played together in the 77-78 season.

DePaul will not play Valpo because they have an unjustified superiority which does not accommodate their "elite status." DePaul basketball and athletics is a mess caused by nepotism and keeping "the family together."

VUGrad1314

Not for nothing but I think a little more tournament success on our part and a nicer facility would probably go a long way toward attracting better opponents. Compared to other MVC venues Gentile isn't THAT much nicer than our ARC yet thanks to their recent success they are able to get DePaul to play them there. If Valpo can make a tournament run or two and upgrade the ARC I have no doubt we'll get some good opponents coming into Valpo.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 04, 2020, 12:05:26 PM
No, Corzine graduated from DePaul in 1978, and Aguirre started in the DePaul in the 1978-79 season. Corzine and Bradshaw played together in the 77-78 season.

DePaul will not play Valpo because they have an unjustified superiority which does not accommodate their "elite status." DePaul basketball and athletics is a mess caused by nepotism and keeping "the family together."

You are correct. I got Bradshaw's and Aguirre's time at Depaul mixed up when I looked them up.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpospartan on May 02, 2020, 10:46:52 PM

My wife and I also were at that game.  Thanks for kindling the memory.
I remember students had to get tickets (free) either day of or day before. I also remember thinking what a burden it was to line up in the cold to get them. Somehow I doubt it was that cold but I do recall complaining.

vu72

So for you old timers (really old) do you remember Hilltop before its expansion? (Yes it was expanded in 1962).  I'm guessing the expanded version sat about 3000.  I remember the seats seeming went up to the ceiling!).  The unexpanded version (original 1939 ) must have had a seating capacity of about 1500 or so.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu72 on May 04, 2020, 01:59:18 PM
So for you old timers (really old) do you remember Hilltop before its expansion? (Yes it was expanded in 1962).  I'm guessing the expanded version sat about 3000.  I remember the seats seeming went up to the ceiling!).  The unexpanded version (original 1939 ) must have had a seating capacity of about 1500 or so.
I remember that Gym II increased the options for gym availability for faculty kids who were allowed in on Sundays.

Were the new stands always open for games or only for the bigger games at the beginning?
Beamin' Beacons