• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/28: Bradley at Valpo Game Thread -Also Game 2 on 2/10 ESPN3 6:00 PM

Started by justducky, January 28, 2021, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Sheldon Edwards: "I just thought we needed a bucket." I love that mindset and mentality. I think he's going to be very good and am very excited for his future!

wh

Just watched the postgame interviews. The way Eron, Ben and Sheldon handle themselves is impressive. Eron seems like a natural born leader with a very high basketball IQ. He sounds more like a coach than a player. Ben is more reserved but confident and mature. Sheldon is impressive in his own right. He just hit some huge shots at a crucial time in the game, something that freshmen seldom do anywhere, yet he just seemed to take it all in stride. He exudes confidence, but not a hint of cockiness. On top of it, he threw praise Connor's way. I think back to when I was that age. There's no way I had it together like he seems to.

nkvu

Looking at the team going forward I find myself wishing that we had a Vashile type player who can protect the paint. We have two potentially really good forwards in Krikke and Clay.  Krikke at the 4 and Clay at the 3. Krikke at the 5 is overmatched and though he is a tough, tough defender he just hasn't got the body to successfully defend a decent 5 or protect the rim. Clay has great length, can guard multiple positions, and can block shots of the guys he is guarding, but he can't be a rim protector. After watching Bradly make layup after layup it's clear that they had no fear of going to the hoop.  Given there are no rim protectors coming in next year, it seems clear to me that the team will be vulnerable to inside players and/or slashers to the rim for the foreseeable future. It seems that we are committed to positionless basketball.   We better be able to score because we will be giving up a lot of layups.   

valpotx

That was a fun, and nerve-wracking game to watch. 

For those that are/were in the #FireLottich crowd, he made a lot of key decisions in this game, that seemed to turn the tide after that 25-11 start. 

I really like how Krikke and Clay have learned to play with each other, and was very impressed with Zion Morgan's defensive showing. I was surprised that he wasn't put in near the end, tied to the offense for defense substitutions. 

For as much as Sackey can make you angry with his never finishing at the rim or with any bump/contact, the guy does a lot of good things for us at key times, and he is a Valpo guy.  I hate seeing people criticize him, but when it comes to his shooting prowess, that is definitely justified lol.  He must have a case of the yips, as I don't remember him missing so badly in his FR and SO years, as he is doing this year.  Not just bricking shots, but legitimately missing the rim and getting all backboard on any jump shot. 

Kudos to the guys for never giving up, especially when Krikke and Clay fouled out, when it seemed like we would have no chance.  As much as every one of us held our heads on those 2 Edwards 3's in OT, it was equally joyous when they went in!  It was even better to see the kid getting some confidence back in his game, as he was definitely down earlier in the year. 

Childs has been my favorite player to watch in the MVC over the last few years, in addition to AJ Green.  He has big-time capability professionally with that soft touch, and nose for putting the ball in the basket in the toughest of positions.  Almost like a Caleb Green-type, from the glorious ORU days.  You hate to play against those guys, but damn, they are smooth. 

All in all, outside of the general happiness of beating a good Bradley team, and beating Wardle, I take the most joy out of seeing these kids play with some big man balls, pick each other up, cheer each other on, and now playing hard on each possession.  This is a completely different feel than what we saw just a few weeks back.  Onwards and upwards!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Was anybody else confused when Helm was taking Clay's FTs at the end of regulation? How does a guy get fouled and commit his 5th foul on the same play? Has anyone seen that happen before? To me that seemed like a strange call. And we did miss some very important FTs when Gordon missed his 3rd of 3 FTs, Krikke missed the 1st of his 2 FTs & Helm missed his 2nd of 2 FTs. Although there were other critical FTs made at the end of regulation & 1st OT.

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 12, 2021, 01:37:10 PM
I figured you, like me, were too old to have any hope left for this year's squad. :)

Do you have a little more hope for this year's squad now? I knew this team had too much talent to play like they did against UIC, DePaul, MO ST, Loyola etc. Hopefully they won't revert back to the team that lost so many games.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on January 28, 2021, 06:54:11 PM
Everybody is over here checking and we have nowhere to comment.  :'(

When you start a game thread, even if it is after the game has started, it's a good idea to change the icon to show a "game thread" icon.

SanityLost17

The real question on everybody's mind....   

How are the parents tweeting now that we are on a winning streak?      ::)   haha

Valpo2010

Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2021, 06:35:19 AMWas anybody else confused when Helm was taking Clay's FTs at the end of regulation? How does a guy get fouled and commit his 5th foul on the same play? Has anyone seen that happen before? To me that seemed like a strange call.

I don't think the TV announcers followed what happened very clearly.  From what I could tell, Clay got fouled, then immediately following that foul, Clay and Childs (I think) were both given technicals for yapping at each other.  The technical was Clay's 5th foul, hence he was out of the game and couldn't shoot the free throws.  Definitely an unusual situation. 

valpopal

This was the first game of the season where I fully felt the absence of the home crowd. At various moments of the emotional up-and-down play, I kept imagining the strong reactions from fans that would have taken place.

vu72

I think I saw one of our posters in the stands.  Somehow I doubt he is a parent of a player!  So somehow, some fans are getting into the games.  Good for him!  Just wondering.

Wonderful effort and great to see Sheldon start to be the player we thought he could be. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on January 29, 2021, 09:58:57 AMI think I saw one of our posters in the stands.  Somehow I doubt he is a parent of a player!  So somehow, some fans are getting into the games.  Good for him!  Just wondering.

I didn't really focus in but glimpsed the same thing.  :o  Maybe his donations are a bit larger than ours?  ;)

Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2021, 06:42:55 AMWhen you start a game thread, even if it is after the game has started, it's a good idea to change the icon to show a basketball icon which shows the thread as a "game thread."

Given my ability to jinx, had I officially opened this game thread we would have lost by 30 in regulation and additionally suffered a couple of season ending injuries.

vu84v2

My day is a little better when I see Valpo 4th in the MVC standings instead of 10th.

valpo64

It is fun to see this young team progress.  I believe they will continue to get better but then there will also be those games when the wheels come off.  I don't mean to beat a dead horse but much credit has to go to Coach L and his Staff for keeping the guys together, believing in themselves and working hard to get better.  I like what I am seeing.

oklahomamick

Agreed.  Way too early, but hope they stay together.  Seems like we always take one step forward and two steps back when everyone transfers.
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on January 29, 2021, 10:16:51 AMGiven my ability to jinx, had I officially opened this game thread we would have lost by 30 in regulation and additionally suffered a couple of season ending injuries.

Got it. The old "I'm not really starting the game thread just beginning discussion about some programming on ESPN+" thread.  ;)

RS

vu72 I post here very rarely but am able along with my wife to attend the games because we are a host family to one of the international student players who graciously leaves us 2 tickets at the door. Certainly a different experience with lack of atmosphere at the games.

VUBBFan

Quote from: vu72 on January 29, 2021, 09:58:57 AMI think I saw one of our posters in the stands.  Somehow I doubt he is a parent of a player!  So somehow, some fans are getting into the games.  Good for him!  Just wondering.

I didn't really focus in but glimpsed the same thing.    Maybe his donations are a bit larger than ours? 

IF I were to venture a guess. I'd say he was recycling a parental ticket that was going to be unused and feels extremely grateful and lucky, being in the right place at the right time. Sometimes having good relationships with people gets you more than you can with dollars. [/size][/font]

JD24

Quote from: Valpo2010 on January 29, 2021, 08:56:47 AM
Quote from: bbtds on January 29, 2021, 06:35:19 AMWas anybody else confused when Helm was taking Clay's FTs at the end of regulation? How does a guy get fouled and commit his 5th foul on the same play? Has anyone seen that happen before? To me that seemed like a strange call.
I don't think the TV announcers followed what happened very clearly.  From what I could tell, Clay got fouled, then immediately following that foul, Clay and Childs (I think) were both given technicals for yapping at each other.  The technical was Clay's 5th foul, hence he was out of the game and couldn't shoot the free throws.  Definitely an unusual situation.
That is what happened but the TV announcers didn't follow what happened at all. They didn't even recognize the fact that Childs and Clay were t'd up or that Helm was shooting the free throws rather than Clay. I don't think they even acknowledged that it was Clay's 5th foul. I only knew what happened because I saw the double t signaled by the official and saw an official give the "five" signal to the Valpo bench.

As an aside, what a weak job by the official in that case. He should have simply separated the two players. They weren't in any position of being any more aggressive than talking to each other. They weren't really in each others face nor did they appear to be any threat to be approaching each other. The reaction of the other players....essentially no reaction or attempt to separate....tells us all we need to know about what was happening. No reason to make that call and, in particular, in that spot.

wh

Quote from: JD24 on January 30, 2021, 09:14:40 AM
Quote from: Valpo2010 on January 29, 2021, 08:56:47 AM
That is what happened but the TV announcers didn't follow what happened at all. They didn't even recognize the fact that Childs and Clay were t'd up or that Helm was shooting the free throws rather than Clay. I don't think they even acknowledged that it was Clay's 5th foul. I only knew what happened because I saw the double t signaled by the official and saw an official give the "five" signal to the Valpo bench.

As an aside, what a weak job by the official in that case. He should have simply separated the two players. They weren't in any position of being any more aggressive than talking to each other. They weren't really in each others face nor did they appear to be any threat to be approaching each other. The reaction of the other players....essentially no reaction or attempt to separate....tells us all we need to know about what was happening. No reason to make that call and, in particular, in that spot.

I had not stopped to consider the official's contribution to that whole strange sequence of events. He did clearly seem to overreact to a seemingly minor player exchange. Good observation.

Valpower

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 29, 2021, 12:50:18 PM
My day is a little better when I see Valpo 4th in the MVC standings instead of 10th.
The best part is that we are tied for 3rd in the loss column and we've played half of our games against the three teams with 3 or fewer losses. Right now, a top-half finish is ours to lose.

My hope is that Lottich's system causes early-season difficulties that pay late-season dividends (like last season's tourney run). I suspect that our perimeter shooting and defense will improve with more play and and a stabilized rotation.

SanityLost17

Quote from: Valpower on January 30, 2021, 01:27:52 PM
The best part is that we are tied for 3rd in the loss column and we've played half of our games against the three teams with 3 or fewer losses. Right now, a top-half finish is ours to lose.

My hope is that Lottich's system causes early-season difficulties that pay late-season dividends (like last season's tourney run). I suspect that our perimeter shooting and defense will improve with more play and and a stabilized rotation.

Biggest problem is still depth.   We are gonna play A LOT of games in the next 30 days.   Tired legs gonna be an issue unless the bench steps up on some of these back to back games. 

Valpower

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 30, 2021, 07:08:26 PM
Quote from: Valpower on January 30, 2021, 01:27:52 PM

Biggest problem is still depth.   We are gonna play A LOT of games in the next 30 days.   Tired legs gonna be an issue unless the bench steps up on some of these back to back games. 
The OOC season was so foreshortened that I don't think they'll have the usual wear and tear to deal with, though I'm not sure whether there'll be conditioning issues.   I suspect that early-season bench-production issues can be rooted in unclear roles, selfish or uncharacteristic play related to the battle for playing time, and developing new players, so I hope the bench production will improve as the rotation is resolved.

justducky

I've recycled the previous Bradley game thread because it worked once in double overtime and if it ain't broke don't fix it.  :thumbsup: In the first contest JO only played a few minutes and Childs had 27. They may be deeper but I think we can sweep.

valpotx

As long as Childs does not have another team member go off, we should win again.  Bradley scared me earlier in the year, but I really didn't see any secondary scorers past Childs.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on February 09, 2021, 11:51:14 PM
As long as Childs does not have another team member go off, we should win again.  Bradley scared me earlier in the year, but I really didn't see any secondary scorers past Childs.

I watched the Illinois State/Bradley game earlier (they are travel partners and only played one game at Normal so far) and the Redbirds were able to shut down Childs in that game and Wardle could find no one else for Bradley to pull the game out. ISUr also shot very well from the three in that game.