• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"Stay a Day" for Homer

Started by mp91, November 10, 2011, 08:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp91

Here is a story about the coaches v cancer tournament and the university's "Stay a Day" fundraiser for Homer

http://www.beyond-the-arc.com/features.html

agibson

Interesting.  First, congrats, I guess, on the breaking news?   Has this already been spread around campus?  I'm hearing it here first.

This is for the Akron game, I guess?  Friday night?

I'm all for a good student turnout for the game - and I know that'll be severely muted  by Thanksgiving break.  And, I'm all for supporting the Drew family in a public way like this.

But, it's seems a weird sort of a mixed message to use it to increase student turn-out.

I guess the schedule really doesn't help here.  After this game it'd be... after classes are out?  So, sort of during finals week.  Which might be OK.  Or, I guess, January.

Don't get me wrong - I'll plan to be there, wearing blue.

valporun

mp91, is there a way that alums can send donations in to help with the fundraiser? I was going to try to plan to do something a few weeks ago, but my time became limited, and I know alums who want to send money, but don't where to send if they do.

mp91

agibson-word is just starting to get spread around, the hope of the fundraiser is first and foremost raise money for the cause by using the coaches versus Cancer tournament's overall message, and secondly give just another reason for students to stick around for one of the big games on our home schedule.

valporun-I'm sure there is a way for alumni to donate money, let me look into it and see who appropriate contact person would be and I will let you know ASAP

valpomarketingguy

Dear Valpo Fans,

As you may know, former Valpo Basketball Head Coach Homer Drew and his wife Janet were both recently diagnosed with cancer within a three day period.  Valpo Basketball takes on Akron at the ARC on Friday, November 18, at 7:30 pm, as part of the 2K Sports Classic benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer.  Valpo Athletics is organizing a fundraiser to make a donation to cancer research in the Drews' honor, and we need your help.

-Come to the game Friday, November 18, at 7:30 pm

-Wear light blue to the game, AND get a t-shirt at the game in return for a donation (minimum $5) to cancer research.  Light blue represents prostate cancer for Homer.  Yellow represents bladder cancer for Janet.

-Help by making a pledge to donate as little as $0.10/student (a dime) that comes to the game.  If 300 students attend (our goal), this would be $30.  This is the beginning of Thanksgiving break for students, so we are asking students to pledge to "Stay A Day" in support of Homer and Janet and to help raise money.  Having money donated per student will help motivate more students to attend the game and help raise more money.

If you would like to support Homer, Janet, Valpo Basketball and Cancer Research by donating a dime (or more) per student that attends the game, please email Jenny Garrett at Jennifer.Garrett1@valpo.edu by Tuesday, 11/15, at 7:00 pm with the amount you wish to pledge.

We look forward to seeing you on Friday night wearing blue!

To watch the video or read the article recently done by Andy Katz of ESPN about the Drews, click here: ESPN Coverage of the Drews' Story

Go Valpo!

Jenny Garrett & Brad Swanson

Assistant Directors of Marketing

Valpo Athletics