• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at MoSt 2/1 ESPN+ 7 pm

Started by humbleopinion, February 01, 2023, 10:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Was there actually discussion or actions about getting rid of Drew? Valpo basketball was in a mellower state back then. Heck, Tom Smith was there for 8 years without a winning record, and he resigned!

valpo95

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 02, 2023, 06:03:51 PM
Was there actually discussion or actions about getting rid of Drew? Valpo basketball was in a mellower state back then. Heck, Tom Smith was there for 8 years without a winning record, and he resigned!

This was back in stone age (well, at least before most people had access to to the internet or email.)

Homer Drew's first four years at Valpo saw him go 10-19, 4-24, 5-22, 5-22, so yes, many fans were getting out their pitchforks. I was at the ARC and heard some of the chants to fire Homer. In 1992-93, Redmon and Schmidt were on the bench due to the NCAA transfer rules, so there was some hope for the future.

AB

Dick Bennett, pack line defense. Held Valpo to like 23 29 points in a couple of games, one up at the old Brown County arena. His son was an outstanding player in the system, and who can forget Jeff Nordgaard, the team that upset Jason Kidd and Cal. Depth and quality of the league then, I think they were preseason pick 4th place. Redman, Schmidt turned things around, Wayne Charles, the guy from LaPorte, Lance Barker. Tracy Gipson finally got help his senior year. After Jones, Anslem, Ford graduated, roster was gutted. I do believe Homer grabbed the mic and apologized after the game. Current coach is in love to much with the three ball instead of getting higher percentage shots and way too many transfers even in the transfer era.

crusadermoe

...Home grabbed the mike and apologized for the game?    Only at Valpo!

Old Timer

Thinking of Dick Bennet, I am reminded of his top assistant and perhaps defensive architect Mike Heideman. After Bennet's departure Heideman took over the Green Bay program and experienced some good years. However, after a downturn he was let go. It was my understanding that due to by out provisions he could not be a head coach somewhere and get paid by Green Bay. He became an assistant at Valparaiso for one year. Valpo's defense has never been as good since. It is my thought that maybe Lottich needs some super strong assistant coaches who can teach and motivate. Let him administrate.