• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Greg Kirby Retires

Started by valporun, March 19, 2012, 11:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

We speculated what would happen, and I just saw on the Valpo athletics site that Greg Kirby has officially retired. I definitely didn't pay attention to his background, other than how he was at Valpo High, but never knew he started out as a freshmen boys basketball coach at Danville High School in Danville, IL. He seemed to have quite the resume in 41 years of coaching.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2011-12/11570/greg-kirby-to-retire-from-coaching-after-six-seasons-on-valpo-staff/

valpotx

I imagine that when he was told he wouldn't be considered as a HC at Valpo, that it was his best option to retire?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo89

Kirby was already planning to retire. It was in Paul Oren's story that was published in The Times last week, prior to the official release coming out.
He would not have wanted to be the head coach at VU. He had his time in the spotlight at VHS, where he was just inducted to the Hall of Fame in January. His high school record is outstanding - something like 82 percent - and it's obvious he knew what he was doing because no one at the high school has been able to figure it out since he retired. This year's girls team at the worst record in school history (5-16).