• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Class of 2012 Football Roster Posted

Started by valporun, May 15, 2012, 12:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

The Class of 2012 Recruited Roster is now on the VU Athletics website. Looks like a great number of players coming in.

Roster:
http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2011-12/11808/valpo-announces-2012-football-recruiting-class/

Coach Carlson also has a link within the link to the story about the roster that had a quick comment about every recruit in the incoming class.

vu72

I like the comment section on each player.  Noted that the class comes from 15 states with the most coming from Illinois.  It includes players from football power states including Ohio, California, Florida and Texas.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Wouldn't it be interesting if Trevor Hammer was truly the 6'11" as listed on that sheet, instead of the assumed 5'11"?  If he had any speed at 6'11" he would be a load at DB lol  ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

The 2011 class had 51 recruits.  This year, the 36, hopefully, point to higher quality and greater athleticism.  I think/hope this is a reflection of the FB staff's (1) better understanding of their returning personnel and their projected needs within the O & D and (2) a greater amount of selectivity in recruiting these young men (better targeting, improved evaluation, etc).  There are no scholarships to offer though, so selectivity is pretty much still on the side of the kids and hopefulness on the part of VU.  Truth be told, 2 or 3 difference makers on both sides of the ball and it's a whole new ballgame.

78crusader

The first game is against St. Joseph's and that should be a pretty good measuring stick for this team.  St. Joseph's has handled us the last several times out, but we are improving and I would think this is the kind of game that we could win.  Time will tell. 

I think that 36 recruits this year compared with 51 last year is a good sign.  Less turnover = more experienced players = more stability = more wins.

Paul

Valcruz

Quote from: valpotx on May 15, 2012, 12:59:18 PM
Wouldn't it be interesting if Trevor Hammer was truly the 6'11" as listed on that sheet, instead of the assumed 5'11"?  If he had any speed at 6'11" he would be a load at DB lol  ;D

Typo he is 5'11"

valporun

I find myself agreeing that it is nice that we aren't trying to have consistent incoming freshmen/transfer classes that are always close to 75-80+, but trying to have small, focused classes based on the needs either for the upcoming season, or for a year or two later. This is what recruiting is by definition, you're filling gaps/holes, anticipating for the future, and the future doesn't always have to be the upcoming season, but could be a season or two down the road. Unfortunately, this "instant gratification" lust that donors and fan bases seek has hamstrung some coaches to find the right players for RIGHT NOW, even if the player is really a year or two away from being THAT GUY!!

NuPudge

I spent about a hour cutting a pasting all recruits links so everyone could checkout the recruits but this site would not allow me to... Sorry...

There are some very good kids this year, at least according to their video... what a bummer you can't post...

bbtds

Quote from: NuPudge on May 16, 2012, 09:38:32 PM
I spent about a hour cutting a pasting all recruits links so everyone could checkout the recruits but this site would not allow me to... Sorry...

There are some very good kids this year, at least according to their video... what a bummer you can't post...

You must have 5 posts before you can post links. I hoped you saved your work. Now that would be a bummer.

NuPudge

I sure didn't but I will redo it and post it for everyone tomorrow.. I am new to Valpo and looking forward to being involved with posting here.. I see Valpo had some problems winning at FB last year.. What happened to them.. Why don't they offer scholarships for FB..

Again, the class looks strong and fast..

I heard that coach Lee the DC left for another school.. Is that true and will that have a big impact on the team?

VULB#62

Coach Carlson just posted his Class of 2012 Recruiting blog that goes into a bit more detail about the recruiting process and starts off by discussing the smaller class.  He said basically what we speculated further down -- better retention keeping the core players, more targeted approach and more selectivity has them going for quality over quantity.

http://blogs.valpo.edu/football/

Pudge -- nice to have you aboard.  FCS (it used to be Div. I-AA) non-scholarship FB is a traditional thing at VU.  It is also a budget thing.  NCAA scholarship FCS requires 65 full boats.  That's a lot of $$$ considering private college tuition charges these days.  Note that the Pioneer FB League, with the exception of Morehead State, is all private. VU is one of the charter members. The Patriot League and the Ivy  League are all private as well. Scholarship-wise, if VU went scholarship, this then also impacts other sports due to Title IX due to the fact that scholarships have to even out, so the school is forced to either increase the number of women's sports (even more $$$) or cut men's sports.  Right now VU has a pretty good mix -- be a shame to mess that up  :twocents:. However, there is no doubt that a valued FB recruit at Valpo probably may get a bit of preferential treatment from the admissions office and he might see a slightly nicer FA package.

The Lee thing is news to me. He is still listed on the coaching roster as of today.

NuPudge

This was a great read from the coach..

Thanks for the welcome and the great info you provided.. I am sure the recruiting must be hard to do and maintain kids.. Do we lose some kids to other programs later if they are good players to schools that offer full rides?
I was checking out the 2012 games and we travel a lot and play some good teams.. I am looking forward to doing more posting here...

Coach Lee leaving is something I overheard last night so may not be true; sorry.

vu72

Quote from: NuPudge on May 17, 2012, 08:40:23 AM
This was a great read from the coach..

Thanks for the welcome and the great info you provided.. I am sure the recruiting must be hard to do and maintain kids.. Do we lose some kids to other programs later if they are good players to schools that offer full rides?
I was checking out the 2012 games and we travel a lot and play some good teams.. I am looking forward to doing more posting here...

Coach Lee leaving is something I overheard last night so may not be true; sorry.

I'll add my "welcome" as well.  Our football team does travel as every other year we travel to New York, South Carolina, Florida and California to play conference teams.  Check out the PFL site (you can find it on the very bottom of the main Valpo athletics site) where you can see the members and their locations.

As for losing players to scholarship teams, I don't recall this being an issue. Our typical football player is possibly an all conference or all district player who may be undersized at certain positions so that the scholarship teams aren't interested.  Some do have offers but choose Valpo because of the high academic reputation or a specific program.  Remember, just because we don't offer athletic scholarships in football doesn't mean the kid isn't getting any money.  90% of Valpo students receive some aid and it works out to about half of tuition etc.  This is then the equivalent of a half scholarship from another school.  Most D2 programs offer scholarships for football but Valpo's national reputation often is the closer.

Are you a new or future student?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

I might add that if we lose a kid to another FB program, it'll probably be a D-II, but more likely, a D-III school.

NuPudge

I know two kids that will be going there, park district friends.. I am not smart enough to get into Valpo

bbtds

Quote from: NuPudge on May 17, 2012, 04:04:43 PM
I know two kids that will be going there, park district friends.. I am not smart enough to get into Valpo

I would tell anyone else that you are too smart for the Valpo football team.......just kidding  ;)

You have 5 posts or more now. You can post those links if you are so inclined.

VULB#62

........and you're smart enough to be on this board with the rest of us geniuses.    ;)

NuPudge

[size=0pt]Hi All,[/size]
[size=0pt]Here is the list and videos for the recruits that I was able to locate..This is a very talented group. This could be the class that help change the program around.[/size]

[size=0pt]Sam Akainyah[/size] (could not locate a video)
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Joseph Anger[/size]
[size=0pt]Video[/size]
[size=0pt]Joe Anger 2011 Football Highlights[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Nick Basile (could not locate a video) [/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Zachary Bihary[/size]
[size=0pt]Zachary Bihary's Football Highlights 2010[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Arthur Bradley[/size]
[size=0pt]Arthur Bradley (Recruiting Video)[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Austin Broshar[/size]
[size=0pt]I could only locate a picture.. He's a big boy..[/size]
[size=0pt]http://www.ihigh.com/centralindiana/gallery_59442.html?photo=7[/size]
[size=0pt]http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFgQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.varvee.com%2Fteam%2Fplayer%2F18%2F16209&ei=QTi2T_-5GoeQ2AXA5vWyCQ&usg=AFQjCNE_LtPs-ZEqlaxHeafJK9WiFRDbCA&sig2=4FH__81j8LT9QjuRdt1qAg[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Aaron Brunner (could not locate a video)[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Derrick Caldwell (could not locate a video)[/size]
[size=0pt]http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CGAQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maxpreps.com%2Fathletes%2FVAfJOzo7uEKlYIxhuw2sow%2Ffootball-fall-10%2Fprofile-derrick-caldwell.htm&ei=8zy2T6LrEorO2AWH7uTOCQ&usg=AFQjCNGm7ILWii2m9r7ri-ABiv1bNV5LFw&sig2=9t4UVQhaR0-a76wrw1UhXg[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Cody Cotton[/size]
[size=0pt]Cody Cotton Highlight film SS/DB/QB Walther Lutheran High School 2011[/size]
[size=0pt]# 11 Cody Cotton "Walther Lutheran Defensive Back " 2012 Class[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Max Delia (I love this name)[/size]
[size=0pt]Max Delia HSFB Highlights[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Tom Ehrlich[/size]
[size=0pt]Thomas Ehrlich Harper College 2011 Offensive Line Highlight tape[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Austin Etzler[/size]
[size=0pt]2012 Austin Etzler - Elida - WR19 - Senior year[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Brendan Flaherty[/size]
[size=0pt]Brendan Flaherty 2010 Highlights[/size]
[size=0pt]Ryan Gorski[/size]
[size=0pt]Ryan Gorski - 2012 - Football - San Diego, CA - SportsForce College Sports Recruiting Video[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Melvin Graham III[/size]
[size=0pt]Melvin Graham III Sr. Season Football Highlights[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]John Guilford[/size]
[size=0pt]2012 John Guilford - Black River - Sr yr - DE 8.[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Charlie Hackett[/size]
[size=0pt]Charlie Hackett Senior Football Highlights, 2011[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Brandon Hall[/size]
[size=0pt]Brandon Hall #35 Damascus High School Football game[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Trevor Hammer[/size]
[size=0pt]Trevor Hammer #13 Enid Plainsmen 2010 complete season highlight video[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Trae Hoeske[/size]
[size=0pt]www.youtube.com/watch?v=M99zVg1bu58[/size]
[size=0pt][/color] [/size]
Carlos Hunter [size=0pt](could not locate a video)[/size]

Tevin Johnson
[size=0pt]Tevin J. Johnson #7 Matoaca HS[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Alex Kozlowski[/size]
[size=0pt][/color]www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYvpfCkxyYc[/size][size=0pt][/color][/size]
[size=0pt][/color]Frankie Mannino[/size]
[size=0pt][/color]www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCf8TKiYBzk[/size][size=0pt][/color][/size]
[size=0pt][/color]Samuel Manternach [/size][size=0pt](could not locate a video)[/size][size=0pt][/color][/size]
[size=0pt][/color]Colin Marcott[/size]
[size=0pt]http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/player/colin-marcott/news/[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Colton[/size][size=0pt] Sanchez[/size]
[size=0pt][/color]www.youtube.com/watch?v=db3WXB5c05c[/size][size=0pt][/color][/size]
[size=0pt]Mike Scheerhorn[/size]
[size=0pt][/color]www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDz9WE7JZGs[/size][size=0pt][/color][/size]
[size=0pt]Nicholas Scoville (could not locate a video)[/size]
[size=0pt]http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/in/indianapolis/scecina-memorial/nicholas-scoville[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Ali-Akbar Shahine[/size]
[size=0pt]http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/HmJfUWSLIUOcht4hr6mm0g/football-fall-11/stats-ali-akbar-shahine.htm[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Bradley Sicula (could not locate a video) [/size]
[size=0pt]http://markhancock.blogspot.com/2010/11/rockwall-heath-vs-frisco-wakeland.html[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Scott Staal[/size]
[size=0pt]Scott Staal 2011 Senior Season Highlights[/size]
Drew White
[size=0pt]Drew White #22 Van Buren High School[/size]
[size=0pt] [/size]
[size=0pt]Joshua Young[/size]
[size=0pt]Joshua Young (Recruiting Video#2)[/size]

bbtds

Didn't actually see Melvin Graham III play for North Central but that Pike team they played against was very good. I saw the Pike at Ben Davis game this past season. A very good Ben Davis Giants squad barely knocked off the speedy Pike Red Devils 28-22.  North Central finished 5-5 last year with their only bad loss being against Lawrence North (3-7) which is better known for basketball. With Warren Central, Carmel, Ben Davis and Center Grove in their conference NC (alma mater of Clippers player, Eric Gordon, whose 8th grade brother, Eron, who has already been offered a college basketball scholarship) getting to .500 is a huge uphill battle.

willy

82 days until opening night kickoff under the lights!  This group looks like it has some talented skill guys and big lineman.  Would love to see the football team open with a victory and gain confidence right away.  I think if that happens four or five victories is a definite possibility.  Hopefully the students and whole town come out on Thursday night to give us that 12th man homefield advantage!  If the team is competitive will the fans come out and support or have they in the past?  I'm new to Valpo.

valpotx

If the team does well, the fans will come out.  When I was in school, our side of the stands was always full (2 championships in my 5 years)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

it might take time to get people coming back though. they've been so bad and history's not really on their side, other than the 2000/03 pfl championships. i'd love to see the team start developing a winning culture, but based on the last 7-8 years or so, it's gonna take time to persuade people it's for real.

VULB#62

With respect to having a winning program that puts fans in the seats:  This is season #3 in the Dale Carlson era.  It will be a very good barometer of the direction he is taking the football program.  We finally began to see 'something' in the last few games of last season as the team defense began to reduce the PA (first 5 PFL games 234 or 46.8 ppg vs 91 or 30.3 ppg in the final 3 games) and the offense was scoring at a better clip (52 tot/10.4 ppg for the first 5 PFL games vs 63 tot/21 ppg for the final 3).  The kids that were on the field at the close of the season were largely young and it seems like they had begun to jell and actually were within 9 points at Davidson of closing the season with two straight wins.

I see the Carlson year-round 'program' beginning to sink in and the recruiting classes seem to be getting progressively more talented.  Greater confidence in their abilities should have a major impact on the ridiculous number of points allowed last season in the first half (304 or 27.6 ppg) vs. first half points scored  (85 or 7.7 ppg). So the foundation appears to be in place.

We'll see.  Not knowing the changes occurring among opponents' rosters,  I'm still thinking 3 wins as a realistic prediction and possibly as many as 5 if things fall into place and this year's class produces a difference maker or two.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 10, 2012, 09:06:22 AM
With respect to having a winning program that puts fans in the seats:  This is season #3 in the Dale Carlson era.  It will be a very good barometer of the direction he is taking the football program.  We finally began to see 'something' in the last few games of last season as the team defense began to reduce the PA (first 5 PFL games 234 or 46.8 ppg vs 91 or 30.3 ppg in the final 3 games) and the offense was scoring at a better clip (52 tot/10.4 ppg for the first 5 PFL games vs 63 tot/21 ppg for the final 3).  The kids that were on the field at the close of the season were largely young and it seems like they had begun to jell and actually were within 9 points at Davidson of closing the season with two straight wins.

I see the Carlson year-round 'program' beginning to sink in and the recruiting classes seem to be getting progressively more talented.  Greater confidence in their abilities should have a major impact on the ridiculous number of points allowed last season in the first half (304 or 27.6 ppg) vs. first half points scored  (85 or 7.7 ppg). So the foundation appears to be in place.

We'll see.  Not knowing the changes occurring among opponents' rosters,  I'm still thinking 3 wins as a realistic prediction and possibly as many as 5 if things fall into place and this year's class produces a difference maker or two.

Improvement and 3-5 wins will be good this fall.  Another 3-4 games that we are close in the fourth quarter would be another sign of improvement. 

willy

I have seen first hand how valpo has supported the basketball program. I would love to see the football team turn things around and get the same support. To me there is nothing like the atmosphere of tailgating and supporting your favorite college football team. What is the atmosphere and tailgating like at valpo on game day?