• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Commencement Speaker

Started by setshot, May 04, 2013, 09:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

:-X Do we have a well known speaker or do we have a typical VU clone? Info please. Thanks!

valpopal

Commencement Speaker is John Nunes, President and CEO of Lutheran World Relief.

setshot

Excellent choice. We have contributed and will continue to contribute to Lutheran World relief. :thumbsup:

agibson

Dave_2010

Outstanding choice. I was on campus for a weekend several months ago and heard him preach as part of Dr. Wangerin's "celebration of preaching" series at the Chapel. I believe it was the Sunday after the Orchestra/Chorale/Band Christmas concert, but don't hold me to it. Regardless of when it was, he is a gifted speaker and should do a great job.

valpopal

The following is something I knew but wasn't at liberty to reveal until now with the official announcement, and I think this will be received well here if I go by the comments above:

Dear faculty and staff:     

It is my immense pleasure to announce that the Rev. John Arthur Nunes will join Valparaiso University as the Emil and Elfrieda Jochum University Professor and Jochum Chair this fall. This news has fortuitous timing, as John will also serve as keynote speaker for the undergraduate and graduate commencement ceremony this weekend on May 19.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on May 16, 2013, 12:31:45 PM
The following is something I knew but wasn't at liberty to reveal until now with the official announcement, and I think this will be received well here if I go by the comments above:

Dear faculty and staff:     

It is my immense pleasure to announce that the Rev. John Arthur Nunes will join Valparaiso University as the Emil and Elfrieda Jochum University Professor and Jochum Chair this fall. This news has fortuitous timing, as John will also serve as keynote speaker for the undergraduate and graduate commencement ceremony this weekend on May 19.

Isn't that the chair currently held by Walt Wangerin?  Is he retiring this year or will he stay on in some capacity?  I know he had some health issues.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on May 16, 2013, 02:23:06 PM
Quote from: valpopal on May 16, 2013, 12:31:45 PM

Dear faculty and staff:     

Isn't that the chair currently held by Walt Wangerin?  Is he retiring this year or will he stay on in some capacity?  I know he had some health issues.

Walt retired a couple of years ago, but he is still on campus as a faculty emeritus and has taught a very limited schedule. Fortunately, his health seems to have improved significantly from what it was when it was at its worst, and he looks good whenever I see him.

usc4valpo

I saw this topic and it reminded me back in 1982 when Edwin Meese, who was on Reagan's cabinet, spoke.  Meese was very much in favor of reducing or eliminating federal student loans, and there was a student protest regarding him as the commencement speaker.  They also presented him with an honorary degree.

When I graduated, O.P Kretzmann was the speaker, and I could have used an extra dose of coffee to stay awake.  Zig Ziglar he was not.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 30, 2013, 09:48:22 AM
I saw this topic and it reminded me back in 1982 when Edwin Meese, who was on Reagan's cabinet, spoke.  Meese was very much in favor of reducing or eliminating federal student loans, and there was a student protest regarding him as the commencement speaker.  They also presented him with an honorary degree.

When I graduated, O.P Kretzmann was the speaker, and I could have used an extra dose of coffee to stay awake. Zig Ziglar he was not.

Nope, just OP.  When I was on campus the student body would stand and applaude when OP was introduced.  Think of another college president who could garner that respect.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Quote from: vu72 on July 01, 2013, 11:01:01 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on June 30, 2013, 09:48:22 AMI saw this topic and it reminded me back in 1982 when Edwin Meese, who was on Reagan's cabinet, spoke. Meese was very much in favor of reducing or eliminating federal student loans, and there was a student protest regarding him as the commencement speaker. They also presented him with an honorary degree. When I graduated, O.P Kretzmann was the speaker, and I could have used an extra dose of coffee to stay awake. Zig Ziglar he was not.
Nope, just OP. When I was on campus the student body would stand and applaude when OP was introduced. Think of another college president who could garner that respect.
My bad and my foot is fully placed in my mouth - it was The Rev. Dr. Martin Kretzmann, OP's brother. Sorry about that, although having Meese present sucked.

agibson

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 01, 2013, 09:40:38 PMThe Rev. Dr. Martin Kretzmann, OP's brother

How many of these guys are there?  I think of one Kretzmann brother (turns out it's A.R.) being involved at St. Luke's up on Belmont, and maybe bearing responsibility for some of the similarity between the worship spaces there and at VU.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on July 05, 2013, 02:50:45 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on July 01, 2013, 09:40:38 PMThe Rev. Dr. Martin Kretzmann, OP's brother

How many of these guys are there?  I think of one Kretzmann brother (turns out it's A.R.) being involved at St. Luke's up on Belmont, and maybe bearing responsibility for some of the similarity between the worship spaces there and at VU.

There were six brothers including OP.  All became Lutheran pastors.

http://www.valpo.edu/150/history-presidents/kretzmann.php

LaPorteAveApostle

let's just save time by calling them "the Kretzmenn" for short
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

beautiful comment, dude.

Perhaps we could have used Thorton Mellon to speak for the graduating class...