• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland at Valpo-2/9/14 1:35 p.m. CT

Started by historyman, February 09, 2014, 09:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

I hope I'm not starting this thread too early.

I'm predicting a Valpo win by 5 points.

LaVonte will bounce back and Peters will score more than 10. It will be the defense against Bader and Mondy that will make the difference between the Crusaders loss at the O'rena and this game. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

classof2014

Let's hope Bader has cooled off since last game against CSU where he went 10-13 from 3. If we can have him 6-15 shooting for 17 point I like our chances.

I do think Alec has a big game, I thought he played really well last game and it seems his confidence is back. I also think LVD has a big game because Oakland and defense go together like oil and water.

Should be a fun high scoring affair. I see Valpo winning this one by 5-10. With us scoring somewhere between 80-90 today.

oklahomamick

Vegas has us by 8. I can't stand losing to Oakland.  We better hand it to them and keep our 2nd place finish hopes alive. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

Interesting Vegas spread...I believe we were also 8 point favorites vs Detroit.

oklahomamick

I think we were also a favorite at their place earlier in the year
CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

Coleman is 4 for 18 over his last 5 games for 22%.  Conference play is more physical and he can't handle the slightest bump without falling down.  Which frustrates me to no end, BTW!  I think it is time for Yeo to take his minutes.  Yeo has had some nice little spurts when he has been given some playing time and we are going to need him to be ready for next year.   

Also, at this point we are playing for 3rd.  We are going to lose at least 1 or 2 more games, so I highly doubt GB is going to fall back to us.  Cleveland State is looking real good right now and they play 4 of their last 5 at home.  One of those games is against GB.  My money says the conference tournament is going to be played in Cleveland.  I think 6 loses is the max we can have and still get 3rd place. 

So, this game is important.  We need to win all of our remaining home games and steal one on the road. 

gamelord

I predict a huge Valpo win. Why do I predict a big win? Because I will be in the house :) . Seriously though Valpo wins like m 95% of all the games I attend.

Valpo 76
Oakland 62

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on February 09, 2014, 09:53:23 AMI hope I'm not starting this thread too early.
sub-3 hours to tip?  i would hope not.

i hope your predictions are as accurate as Friday's, if not more so!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on February 09, 2014, 10:07:44 AMIf we can have him 6-15 shooting for 17 point I like our chances.
That's assuming he would TAKE a two, let alone MAKE it ;)

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 09, 2014, 10:08:48 AMI can't stand losing to Oakland.
Any Michigan team, really.  And I say that as someone born in Grosse Pointe.

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 09, 2014, 11:42:13 AMMy money says the conference tournament is going to be played in Cleveland.
That is a gutsy prediction, but you may come out looking pretty good.  Certainly better than the chances of being in Valpo a 3rd year in a row.

Quote from: gamelord on February 09, 2014, 11:55:00 AMSeriously though Valpo wins like m 95% of all the games I attend.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I'm predicting a loss, as recently, any time I pick a win, we lose:

Oakland 72
Valpo 68
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Paul Oren tweeted that Oakland's buss got stuck in snow.
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Capo really struggles to guard perimeter. Having Jubril with 3 fouls in the first couple minutes is scary considering this fact.

a3uge

I watch a lot of college basketball, from mid majors to high majors... I really think the horizon league is one of the worst officiated league in college basketball. Bader rolling around on the ground and they didn't call a travel? How can they miss something that simple?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 09, 2014, 01:04:54 PMPaul Oren tweeted that Oakland's buss got stuck in snow.

pretty much what i imagine that looks like

a3uge

What's with the off ball calls on Valpo?

usc4valpo

What's going on with Keith Carter?  I thought this guy was supposed to be the second coming.

Smj

mj

I believe that we will win.

govalpogo

As Bryce is always sure to say, "Thank you, Jesus, for this win!"

a3uge

valpotx

Yes, it was Jubril's fault that he had 3 fouls in 2 minutes in the first half, but Bryce is just as much at fault for that aspect.  You could tell that when he picked up his third foul, Bryce had no idea that Jubril was called for the one before it for his second foul.  Know what is going on in the game!!  Though I do have to admit that Bryce has gotten much better about managing his timeouts in the second half of the season.

Glad that we won this one, but it was ugly on both ends in regards to FT shooting and fouls.  I said it during the first game, but I have no idea why anyone thinks that Petros is any good.  He got some easy layups today due to us not rotating, but he is a mess with his back to the basket.  That guy sucks, unless he just plays so much better against anyone that isn't Valpo.  I don't care what his stats might say, if you watch the game, you say, 'that guy blows, please let him shoot.' 
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Pulled out a difficult win that should have been easy.  Oakland is the luckiest team I've seen.  How mosy of their starters played with 4 fouls for the last 5 minutes and only won picks up the 5th. 

They sub less than Detroit did last year.  Talk about a weak bench.  Oaklands lacks depth and will be losing one of the top stealers in NCAA and the top 3pt shooter in history of ncaa. They do have a top HL freshman but other than that the future is not looking bright.  We won't have a losing streak against this program for quite some time
CRUSADERS!!!

Chairback

With Yeo's play today will he start picking up regular minutes?  Possibly from Coleman.....?

classof2014

Clay Yeo obviously had a really big game tonight. Was all of the court and was a thorn in Bader's side all game. Bader made 2 early 3s and was shutdown basically the rest of the way until he made 2 late 3s. Then Yeo, upped him by making the winning shot, which was a 3, with 7 ticks left on the clock.

Big win, could've easily squandered this game away. I bet you Yeo will be playing more minutes than Coleman the rest of the way. Big win, nice way to grind one out. Refs stink, but what else is new. Made our FTs down the stretch which was really big.

SanityLost17

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 09, 2014, 11:42:13 AM
Coleman is 4 for 18 over his last 5 games for 22%.  Conference play is more physical and he can't handle the slightest bump without falling down.  Which frustrates me to no end, BTW!  I think it is time for Yeo to take his minutes.  Yeo has had some nice little spurts when he has been given some playing time and we are going to need him to be ready for next year.   

As posted a couple of hours Before the game.   ;)