• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2016

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, July 16, 2014, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Branchen Hazen reopened his recruitment but sounds like a slim chance he comes to Valpo with the coaching turnover. We were a strong consideration before he committed to UCF. But with bryce leaving it loos doubtful.

"Some of the bigger suitors in the original play for Hazen's services are no longer currently in play, according to the former Indiana Junior All-Star. Schools like Maryland, Clemson and Creighton have not made contact since his services became available again. Valparaiso, another early candidate, is losing their coach Bryce Drew to Vanderbilt and also isn't expected to be an option. Hazen instead says he will focus on the schools who are contacting him or his AAU coach and he will not be reaching out to schools himself.
According the Hazen, the players in his recruitment now focus on Ball State, Bradley, Bowling Green, Richmond and Dayton. Ball State is the only school who has contacted Hazen since his decommitment that originally offered him a scholarship. The Cardinals bring some familiarity in bringing in former Hazen opponent and longtime acquaintance Kyle Mallers of Carroll in their freshman class."

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/Hazen-reopens-recruiting-options

My guess if he has a strong a look for playing a key role on Dayton's team in the future he'll go there. But Archie Miller (their HC) is as good as gone when he finds a job he likes. I can't see Archie staying at Dayton for longer then a year or two longer. Hazen should know that. Bradley? No way. Ball State? I'd rather go to Valpo. Bowling Green? Hasn't been good since the early Dan Dakich days. Richmond? I have no clue.

One of the first things I'd do if I were Coach L is reach out to Hazen and say your a good enough talent to play 20 minutes on our club and play a huge role after Alec graduates. And close to home.

oklahomamick

Quote from: covufan on April 08, 2016, 05:43:51 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on April 07, 2016, 08:04:42 PMWe have had a lot of success recruiting international guys.  Look at the record leaders at VU and most are from abroad.  Loved the Youtube video someone posted regarding our international guys. Who was responsible for this?  When I was student we had more guys from S. America than Europe.  But there have been years we had more Europeans. Is the new coach still going to have that connection?
Can you remind me of the S. Americans?

Stalin Ortiz - colombia

I thought Roberto Nieves was from Colombia as well but hes from Puerto Rico
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Nieves, Berdiel, and Falu were all from PR
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

We have our Spanish center: Osipoff reports a verbal commitment from Jaume Sorolla, 6-11 center from Spain. Played at Sunrise Christian Academy.

a3uge

Looks like we got our Spanish big man...

https://youtu.be/d5y_I-EE5sY

Jaume Sorolla - just gave a verbal commitment to Valpo (via Osipoff)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC3y0KMMLoj/

Guy was at don quijote a month ago and posted on social media about it. Great detective work everyone

agibson

Per social media, also visited Greensboro.

Played for Spain U18.

Osipoff on Twitter has some good quotes from prep coach about defensive and offensive potential.

valpopal

After PG Micah Bradford's affirmation of his commitment to VU, another Valpo PG Recruit, Canadian Marcus Ottey has committed to UIC.

nkvu

Looks like a good pickup. So we got our point and our big. Now find a wing type at the sg or sf say 6'4" to 6'8" athletic with some skills and we've filled out a good class. Maybe a transfer or juco?  Anyone on the radar?

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on April 10, 2016, 01:20:06 PM
We have our Spanish center: Osipoff reports a verbal commitment from Jaume Sorolla, 6-11 center from Spain. Played at Sunrise Christian Academy.

Current SCA web site does not have him listed on the 2015-16 roster.  Played last year? Then played this year in Spain as an U-18?  How about embedding the tweets that were alluded to into posts here.

atkins

Seems to have a nice touch around the basket. Much further along offensively than Vashil was when Vashil arrived on campus.  I hope he learns some power moves.  That European finesse has to give way to jamming about a quarter of those baskets. 

FWalum

Mostly an interview in a language I don't understand, but maybe someone can give us the gist of the interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTuhJfFWeow
Certainly an excellent physical specimen. In the previous video I really liked the way he caught the ball on the go and in some traffic on the break.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

I see he has a 7'5 wing span.  Does anyone remember what is Vashil's wing span?
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 10, 2016, 05:06:39 PM
I see he has a 7'5 wing span.  Does anyone remember what is Vashil's wing span?

7-7

ValpoFan

That is a very nice clip. I am mostly impressed with his speed. He has the body type of Derek but he runs the court faster than Vashil. He only needs to learn some power moves and how to play with contact.

VULB#62

VULB#62

Quote from: ValpoFan on April 10, 2016, 05:51:35 PM
That is a very nice clip. I am mostly impressed with his speed. He has the body type of Derek but he runs the court faster than Vashil. He only needs to learn some power moves and how to play with contact.

Uses both hands in close too.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 10, 2016, 03:01:28 PMThen played this year in Spain as an U-18?  How about embedding the tweets that were alluded to into posts here.

Not sure if it was this year for Spain (many internationals would probably be older than that before coming to VU, right?).

Here's some tweets.

[tweet]719227484181409792[/tweet]
[tweet]719230542647017474[/tweet]
[tweet]719231488357724160[/tweet]
[tweet]719232428548759552[/tweet]
[tweet]719233191593304064[/tweet]
[tweet]719234228177739776[/tweet]
(That one makes you wonder, a little, who knew what and when! But maybe he just means waited a week or so? Or maybe just a general caution, no need to commit until the coaching carousel slows down a little.)
[tweet]719235386317414400[/tweet]

Probably Osipoff has an article out, or will soon.

agibson

Looks like the U18 tournament was in 2014. He's represented Spain at the U18, U17, and U16 levels - and got minutes.

Here's one FIBA page with some links
http://www.fiba.com/world/u17/2014/Jaume-SOROLLA-MENASANCH
and another page with some links
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jaume-sorolla

It does make it easier to recruit internationals when they come to the US first! (Same situation for David Skara, also Vashil?)

agibson

Oh, and, speaking of Micah Bradford

[tweet]718548765074804736[/tweet]

agibson

Hollywood's picking up offers now, it seems. Ball State. Youngstown State. Evansville. Fairfield.

[tweet]689864684242079745[/tweet]

valpo64

I hope Matt L has tried to contact B Hazen,  not worrying about the past but perhaps starting new interest especially after our past season successes, our location and quality of education at VU.  We need more home-grown talent from Northern Indiana.  B's younger brother, a junior, is a member of the IN Junior All-Star team.  How about a brother / brother tandem at VU?

ValpoDad89

Watched some "highlights" of Hollywood. His profile says he has a good inside / outside game but the videos I watched were all down low stuff. Pretty good footwork and nice touch around the basket. If he can also hit from the outside, hoping Peters stays one more year, we may be able to groom his replacement or someone that can act the part as best he can. Both are 6'9".

Seems to have a good connection w/ Bradford as well and I would suspect both know Jubril since their high schools played in the same conference. Maybe not intimately but I'm sure they know who he is. Never hurts to be more connected with guys on a certain team.

valpotx

Great to see that we will have a 7'0" and 6'11" rotation at Center!  It's been a few years since we were able to say that, going back to Grafs/Nikkila.  That is not counting the 1 year with Gueye/Fernandez.
"Don't mess with Texas"

SanityLost17

I wonder how many minutes our new Spaniard will receive?  He appears to be more of a project big man based on the schools recruiting him and the very minimal video I was able to see.  Either way, two large individuals with 4 years of eligibility.  What position is our next biggest priority?