• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2016

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, July 16, 2014, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

They, St. Joe's, made the tourney and won a game and literally, the #1 seed, Oregon, on the ropes. This is one of those lessons that winning matters despite facilities. I think today's kids want to be seen and will deal with whatever, just so their seen.

valpopal

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 03, 2016, 08:05:27 AM
I'm looking at some of the recruiting from other HL schools.  UIC reportedly signed another 3 star recruit and Green Bay inked Mr. Basketball for Wisconsin. 

Something is definitely happening at UIC. They signed another Rivals 3-star recruit today. Their incoming class now seems to be the following: Marcus Ottey (3-stars), Godwin Boahen (3-stars), K.J. Santos (3-stars), Tarkus Ferguson (3-stars), and Jordan Blount (2-stars).

M

That looks good on paper. They SHOULD be pretty solid the next few years.

ValpoFan

Ever since my first trip to the Pavilion, I couldn't stop thinking about how nice of a midmajor facility it was. I always thought that if they had a decent coach, the city of chicago and the building they play in should attract decent players.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on April 14, 2016, 07:19:46 PM
I'm looking at some of the recruiting from other HL schools.  UIC reportedly signed another 3 star recruit and Green Bay inked Mr. Basketball for Wisconsin.  T

Something is definitely happening at UIC. They signed another Rivals 3-star recruit today. Their incoming class now seems to be the following: Marcus Ottey (3-stars), Godwin Boahen (3-stars), K.J. Santos (3-stars), Tarkus Ferguson (3-stars), and Jordan Blount (2-stars).

If I am not mistaken, the only 3* on our roster is EVN. Alec was like a 2.7* and all the rest were < 3*. How can a school like UIC grab so many 3*s so quickly while right now, we have only two verbal commits for 2016?  And isn't Micah a 2*?

agibson

Quote from: ValpoFan on April 14, 2016, 09:31:11 PMEver since my first trip to the Pavilion, I couldn't stop thinking about how nice of a midmajor facility it was.

For my fan experience, it didn't have any advantages over the ARC. Maybe some demerits.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 14, 2016, 10:25:16 PM
I'm looking at some of the recruiting from other HL schools.  UIC reportedly signed another 3 star recruit and Green Bay inked Mr. Basketball for Wisconsin.  T

If I am not mistaken, the only 3* on our roster is EVN. Alec was like a 2.7* and all the rest were < 3*. How can a school like UIC grab so many 3*s so quickly while right now, we have only two verbal commits for 2016?  And isn't Micah a 2*?

Micah is a Rivals 3-star.

oklahomamick

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 03, 2016, 08:05:27 AMI'm looking at some of the recruiting from other HL schools.  UIC reportedly signed another 3 star recruit and Green Bay inked Mr. Basketball for Wisconsin.  T

Fishy..... :-X

And I saw McClain hanging out with Bruce, no, not the one that just signed with Vandy, the cheater Bruce Pearl.
CRUSADERS!!!

RS

After some investigating on Rivals, Jaume Sorolla is also listed as a 3 star as is Bradford. So really it depends on which recruiting service that you want to accept as being more correct. We have all agreed in the past that every team in the Horizon league needs to improve. If UIC has been able to recruit these 3 star athletes then that is a good for all and hopefully will drive Valpo to recruiting better players. I am anxiously waiting to see whom VU will sign in the following weeks. 

VULB#62

That's good news on the ratings of our two 2016 verbals.  Why hasn't that been formalized yet?  Only thing I can assume is that Matt is waiting to get all late signees in and then announce them all together.  If that's the case, they are obviously working at signing someone else who we can only speculate about (duh, says Captain Obvious).

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 15, 2016, 08:08:25 AM
That's good news on the ratings of our two 2016 verbals.  Why hasn't that been formalized yet?  Only thing I can assume is that Matt is waiting to get all late signees in and then announce them all together.  If that's the case, they are obviously working at signing someone else who we can only speculate about (duh, says Captain Obvious).

Micah Bradford signed in November.  It was announced on November 18.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

As I think we have seen in the past, the signing of foreign players takes a longer period of time and has more "hoops" to jump through.  This might be the case with Jaume Sorolla.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

covufan

Smits is a 3* at Rivals, Scout and ESPN. According to Verbal Commits, Alec was a 2.5* - an average of the 3* rating at Rivals and 2* rating at ESPN.

Yes, UIC is getting some good ballplayers recently.  How well they work together and are coached will remain to be seen.

wh

Quote from: covufan on April 15, 2016, 12:09:30 PM
Smits is a 3* at Rivals, Scout and ESPN. According to Verbal Commits, Alec was a 2.5* - an average of the 3* rating at Rivals and 2* rating at ESPN.

Coming out of HS Alec was nowhere close to cracking the Top 100 player list. Now he's the 34th ranked NCAA D-1 Junior. Quite an accomplishment, and supports that you don't have to go P-5 to be recognized.

VU2014

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 15, 2016, 02:40:12 PM
Not sure if anyone else saw this but pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/RobbieHummel/status/720060113436938244

Maybe Robbie would consider joining the Valpo U coaching staff?

VU2014

Lottich was in Minnesota today out on the recruiting trail. Going to NYC tomorrow. My guess is we'll sign upper class men or a JUCO kid or two. But who knows.
Anyone know of any good Minnesota or NY school transfers. I took a look at the transfer list at ESPN and there is a ridiculous amount of transfers from NY schools. Could find anyone from MN.

https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/721125454497910784 https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/721125283424808960 https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/721125543920447488

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on April 15, 2016, 10:46:25 PM
Lottich was in Minnesota today out on the recruiting trail. Going to NYC tomorrow. My guess is we'll sign upper class men or a JUCO kid or two. But who knows.
Anyone know of any good Minnesota or NY school transfers. I took a look at the transfer list at ESPN and there is a ridiculous amount of transfers from NY schools. Could find anyone from MN.

Rather than a transfer, my guess is the Minnesota trip may have involved a particular high school senior shooting guard/small forward.

ValpoDad89

Not sure how much Bryce did on the recruiting trail, but I have to say it seems far less than what Lottich is doing currently.

M

Probably because Bryce had a full staff of assistants who were excellent recruiters to do it for him so he could focus on just closing the deal or other important facets of the team.

wh

Bryce was closed-mouth about everything - that's Everything with a capital E. He was here for 5 years and we still don't know anything about his recruiting philosophy or how hands on he was, other than what we have extrapolated after-the-fact.

It appears that Matt is going to be more open. As fans we love it because everyone wants to be in-the-know. That said, just because we know more about what Matt is doing doesn't mean Matt is actually doing more.

vu72

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 16, 2016, 01:57:29 AM
Not sure how much Bryce did on the recruiting trail, but I have to say it seems far less than what Lottich is doing currently.
[/b]

Well in all fairness consider that Bryce had a full compliment of assistants while Matt has one, and two open scholarships.  He had no choice then to get on the phone and hit the road.  His new assistants will be pretty worthless unless they have a particular kid in mind.  Otherwise they need to move their families to Valpo.  Matt and Luke really have their hands full.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on April 16, 2016, 08:14:02 AMBryce was closed-mouth about everything - that's Everything with a capital E. He was here for 5 years and we still don't know anything about his recruiting philosophy or how hands on he was, other than what we have extrapolated after-the-fact. It appears that Matt is going to be more open. As fans we love it because everyone wants to be in-the-know. That said, just because we know more about what Matt is doing doesn't mean Matt is actually doing more.

well said.  Does this mean we might know the schedule before September?
CRUSADERS!!!