• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

WBB Valpo @ Mil 2/25/12

Started by jack, February 25, 2012, 02:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Are you kidding me? Down at the half, 26 - 16. Yeah, 16!!! How embarrasing. We've extended very expensive scholarships to a group of young ladies who can only manage 16 points against the second worst team in the HL. Time to scrap the program from the top down and start over. If this is the best we've got, we are waisting valuable university resources even having a D1 women's program. This isn't about a short bench. It's all about lacking the skill set to compete.

jack

Couldn't even match the 16 in the second half. I'm embarrassed for the team. We just don't have the skills to compete in D1 ball. We can't shoot, and we don't know how to block out. And it isn't looking bright on the recruitment front either.

talksalot

Hey Guys... Have you taken a look at the injuries this team has suffered?????   We have 5 healthy players...only a 6 or 7 person rotation... and 6 ladies in street clothes watching this train wreck...   and the spirit is there.  Laura Richards, Gina Lange, Ashley Timmerman, Ashley Varner... playing their hearts out...mostly for 40-minutes per game...and the beat down they took from GB on Thursday as the #9 team in the country...was a very physical game.   "Give 'em a break... and come out to a game.. how about Next Saturday?  a Triple-Header in the ARC... the Detroit game has been moved to a 12:05 start to accommodate the evening's festivities.  It's Senior Day.

valporun

From what I heard about today's game, we were strong on the rebounds and ball movement, but we just don't have the confident shooting in all of the healthy bodies that we needed to stay in the game. This season is almost over. I'm certain the ladies are ready to put this season behind them. Jack, stop with the Jekyl & Hyde act with this team. It's difficult to agree/disagree with you about the women's team when you seem to have inconsistent support. I feel like we're either supposed to join you in jumping off the ledge, or in helping these ladies get some confidence built up, but every game I feel like hoping these girls will get out of this funk so I'm not having to join so many others on this board in trying to pull you off the ledge/cliff/roof you're ready to jump off of next.

jack

Don't get me wrong, I love these ladies, and their effort each and every game. The short bench has been a detriment, to be sure. If you have the oportunity, as I, try watching a replay of yesterdays' contest. And do so, objectively, not taking into account the short bench. Just pay attention to the 5 on the floor. Watch how we constantly stand around on offense. Watch how we fail to finish strong in the paint. Watch how we fail to square up on our inside jump shots, and how we truly lack fundamentals and mechanics when shooting outside the arc. The biggest thing that stuck out, for me, yesterday, is our lack of knowlege of where to be on defense, when the apponent puts up a shot. Our inside girls become spectators when the other team shoots, and really have no fundamentals on blocking out. Again, I love these ladies and wish them all the best, but, the issues that were painfully apparent yesterday usually manifest themselves against much superior opponents. Yesterday we played an 8 - 18 squad and got it handed to us, all game long. I'd like to say our woes will correct themselves, but the so much of what we're seeing didn't just go wrong overnight. Much of it was there prior to any of them putting on the brown and gold. And some is a product of the system they play in, or lack there of. I'm not trying to be terse, just an honest opinion from someone who's been around the game a long, long time.  I will always rout for the Crusaders, and hope they put a couple of wins together to end the season on a high note. That being said, unless there are some major changes implemented in the off season, we are destined for more of the same. As I stated previously, looking at the ladies being recruited next season, unless something changes in this regard, and we don't aggressively seek some inside help, we will witness another very long, frustrating season again.
Don't take any of this as a waiver of my support. I will always support the brown and gold. I'm mearly stating what anyone in the basketball "know" has already told themselves.

KL31NY

That was the toughest road trip this team has had in a while. My thoughts:

Offense- VU relies on inside scoring because the guards either don't shoot a lot or have not been very consistent. Green Bay and Milwaukee physically match up well in the paint, especially #12 GB because their "D" is so active on all ends. It was tough to get good looks and they really had to earn almost any scoring from the forwards by going through these big posts. Lack of outside scoring in general and few clean openings inside did not help as the Crusaders totaled, not averaged, totaled 67 points over the weekend.

Defense- GB passes the ball faster than anyone else in the league. They run at another gear and are near impossible to get out of a rhythm with whatever defense anyone can put on. UWM found a lot of holes and their athletic starters got great shots. Focusing on VU, the effort was there, but jack's point on player roles and placement was dead on. Especially w/ the relatively new 2-1-2 zone, it was easy to get in gaps and put up a lot of open shots nearly everywhere. Not enough boxing out either, especially on the opposition's active guards.

Barring a miracle, the team's goal for a home 1st round game is out of reach. VU needs one or two (IMO 2) wins against the two 2nd place teams in the league to have a shot at the No. 7 or No. 8 seeds. WSU and DET were tough at their places in the first go-around, and they shouldn't be any easier now even w/ the rest of the league season to settle in and get comfortable. Let's see if this team and its seniors can find a way to pull off an upset in its final homestand and try to redeem its season even in a small way.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on February 26, 2012, 12:29:45 PMThat being said, unless there are some major changes implemented in the off season, we are destined for more of the same. As I stated previously, looking at the ladies being recruited next season, unless something changes

Bingo, if we keep the same staff, doing the same things we will end up right where we have been for the past three seasons!

Quote from: talksalot on February 25, 2012, 10:32:02 PMWe have 5 healthy players...only a 6 or 7 person rotation... and 6 ladies in street clothes watching this train wreck...   

Well, we have 8 people eligible to be in the rotation we just choose to use 6 or 7.  Nitpicking here but I believe we have 5 in street clothes.

jack

We actually have 8 we can rotate  - With Horton and Jansone getting the least minutes. As for the others, we have Richardson (inelgeable until next season due to paperwork issues??), Lang, Calloway, Adams, and Scott. Is there someone else I'm missing? Of these, we'll get help from Richardson and Scott next season. I believe Lang has multiple issues and if she can go, would have to be on a very limited basis - Calloway ? - Who knows. I don't believe I've ever heard what's been keeping her out. She was a good highschool talent, with a great supporting cast. Haven't seen much at this level. She may not return. Adams?. Have never heard if she is elgeable for a 5th year, or if she's even considered it. could use her leadership and shooting skills. Scott, obviously will be a great help next season. So if we break it down: We have Scott, Richardson, Carr, and possibly adams in the back court next season. It appears we are bringing in 3 more guards as well. The guard from Carmel is a plus, but I don't know much about the other two. If all of this comes to fruition, we'll have 6, maybe 7 guards on the roster next season. I've seen worse scenarios, but unless some major philosophy changes occur, we don't run a guard heavy system. After that, we have Horton, Lange, and Gerardot. Not a lot of size, but with the right mentor, they could be taught how to control the boards. We won't survive without second chance points next season, with our lack of shooting prowless in the paint. We need at least 1, and probably 2, proven bigs to compliment our inside game, if we want to get to the next level. Our back court, though not stellar, are quick and talented, and should be able to keep us in games. I've always been a fan of flooring a speed squad for minutes at a time to change up the pace, and give your bigs a blow. You have to have the coaching in place to know when and where to utilize that speed when needed. Whether Freeman sticks around or not, we still need to bring in some fresh blood, with fresh ideas, and get away from the vanilla game plan we continue to run. I mentioned previously, that our offense does a lot of standing around. I don't attribute all of that to the players. You have to have a plan in place that keeps them engaged, and one they are confident, and buy into. Our short bench this season exposed our weeknesses, on both sides of the clipboard.   

KL31NY

Here's what you reported in terms of injuries on the WBB Detroit thread at the end of December-

Quote from: jack on December 31, 2011, 10:13:34 PMWithout having any inside info, this is my understanding of the status right now;
Adams - probable redshirt - injury unknown - apparantly is a long way from being healthy, has been injured all season
Calloway - probable redshirt - back injury- apparantly is a long way from being healthy, has been injured all season
Lang - Back, knee, etc. - not likely to see this season -we heard this preseason
Horton - concusion - week to week
Timmerman - shin issues - limited playing time - was not (or barely) playing early in the season
Carr - hip issues but playing through them
Scott - ACL - done for the season - Game 10
Ladd - gone - game 6

To add to it since then- Timmerman with a concussion at Butler (2/11), Carr tweaked her knee before Youngstown State (2/2). To clarify, the Times reported in its game stories multiple times earlier in the season that Callaway and Lang had back issues and that Betsy's problem was one of her knees.

Also, I think it's fair to assume at this point that Lang, Callaway, and Adams are taking redshirts since they have played little or not at all and would waste a season of eligibility to come back now even if they could play and give some needed help to the "Valpo 8." None of the three have done so before, so I think they are eligible to redshirt, even if for Betsy it means going into her fifth year.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

I'm aware of what it was I mentioned, and it was based on what was being reported (leaked) at the time. My points here are, where does this leave us for next season? Nothing has been confirmed regarding any player, able, elgeable, or desired to redshirt. Of the 3 players seeing no action, are any capable of contributing next season? If able, does Adams even want to come back? Lang has more then just back issues. Is she physically capable of playing an entire season, or are we looking at a few games and then back on the bench? Calloway apparently has back issues as well. Will she be an asset next season? We lost Gick for this reason. My main point is, we are beyond looking long and hard at where we are headed. We can't afford another season with a bench full of spectators. It's one thing to have injuries. They happen. Timmerman and Carr have bravely battled through them all season long. It's another thing to have nagging, ongoing injuries that apparently aren't improving, and keep players off the floor for most, or all of an entire season. Varner had an injury last season that required surgery, and came back strong this season. Scott will, no doubt, be doing the same next year. If an injury can be repaired by surgery, or rest and rehab, it instills hope that a player can come back and contribute the way we need them to. When you have nagging injuries that don't appeared to be getting any better, it's time to re-evaluate. It's a tough call when you have to release a player that is constantly hampered with injuries, and probably won't get to the level of contribution you need and hoped they would. I'm not sure if Gick was released, left the team, or it was a mutual decision, but it was the right thing for the team. It isn't fair to the players that are giving it all they have, only to have a good portion of their squad relenquished to spectators with great seats. I'm sure with the HIPA laws now, it can't be made public what issues these ladies are dealing with, but we can only hope that, at season's end, a good hard look is in the works for the entire program, and where we are heading in the future.

valporun

Gick's doctor told her that continued play would give her worse problems later. I missed having her on this team, but give her the most respect because she thought about her future, and what her only being able to sit on the bench would mean. That to me shows how unselfish she is off the court as much as she was on the court.

I don't know about the other injuries on the roster, but I get this strong feeling that Betsy Adams would come back and play this season, knowing she would probably have a GA spot on the coaching staff upon the end of her eligibility. She just seems to have that look of a coach when I see how attentive she is in the huddle.

jack

I knew there were long terms issues there being considered with Gick. I agree, she was a class act. I'm sure part of her decision was not wanting to take someone elses spot, and probably would have been allowed to another year if she wanted. I had the opportunity to follow her carrer a bit when she was younger, in the AAU ranks. She was a neat young lady.

I could see Adams sticking around as a student / coach next season if unable to go on the court. I guess we'll know the extent of her knee issue and where she'll fit in at some point.

I hope Horton can get past her woes and get healthy, and back in shape. I know they were counting on possitive minutes from her this season. Our biggest concern will be filling 2 voids - Varner, and Timmerman. I think Timmerman might be a bit easier as it appears we will be guard heavy, and have some speed here, and coming in. We just need to work on the shooting aspects. With Varner gone, and apparently noone "Varner like"  coming in, we have to look at the players we have to see what our options are. Not seeing any right now. Off season acqusitions will be key to our success next season. We still have a solid core, but then, we have a solid core this season as well. The core begins to deteriate when you have no help coming in to spot them. We can't have multiple players at 32 to 40 minutes game in and game out and hope to be successful for an entire season.   

valporun

We don't know about any potential transfers from jucos or hidden high school gems yet either. I still think a coaching change is needed, but not sure that I'd say its Freeman as much as Kirby. I just don't trust his mentoring in the last three seasons.

jack

True, but, with the help we truly need, we'd already have that type of player on the hook at this point. Not to say we couldn't pick up a late commitment. When you need a Ladd type of player though, my thought is, we'd already know we had one on board. I'd love to be able to say I was wrong, believe me.

Freeman, if he stays, needs a coach that has a different perscpective on how to use the talent we have. Kirby is old school, and that ain't changing. If we're going to be flooring 6 or 7 guards next season, we best have someone on board that knows how to coach an up tempo style. And if your not going to implement one, then why bring in so many guards? If a slowed, controlled tempo is the plan, then we need to recruite players from that type of system. We also need a coach on board that concentrates on nothing but the bigs, and their inside game. Sometimes it seems our guards do a better job of blocking out then our bigs do.

I think we all can agree we can't continue down the same road, and expect different results. Change is a must.