• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #18 Valpo @ Loyola 1/15/19 7pm NBCSN Chicago/ESPN+

Started by VU2014, January 13, 2019, 11:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

A huge game against Loyola on Tuesday. I'd argue this will be the biggest game of the season so far. This will be a great litmus test for this squad.

justducky

I looked at their ticket sales and seating chart Friday morning. Looked to be plenty seats still available. I'm curious how close to a sellout they come? Anybody going?

As for their return trip to the ARC on Sun Feb 10, I checked that about Tues and we have barely made a dent towards what I was expecting. If both of these teams remain near or at the top of the league I would expect 4 to 6 hundred Loyola fans coming down (our best crowd) just like last year.

VUBBFan

Quote from: justducky on January 13, 2019, 11:34:30 AMI looked at their ticket sales and seating chart Friday morning. Looked to be plenty seats still available. I'm curious how close to a sellout they come? Anybody going? As for their return trip to the ARC on Sun Feb 10, I checked that about Tues and we have barely made a dent towards what I was expecting. If both of these teams remain near or at the top of the league I would expect 4 to 6 hundred Loyola fans coming down (our best crowd) just like last year.
For the first time I will be taking the fan bus to the game and pre-game party. The pre- game get together is around 80 people and then we will be sitting in section 201. Come on and join us for a fun gritty time in Chicago.

SanityLost17

The good news: 
We don't have to win this game to be considered contenders.  This is a game that is supposed to be a loss.   As the preseason favorites Loyola is supposed to win all their home games. 

The better news: 
If we do win, after playing the top 4 pre-season teams "Illinois schools and then everyone else" we would have to be the clear favorite going forward.

The bad news:
I see no bad news because we don't need to win this game and it is a game we are supposed to lose.  Only thing that would be considered bad news is if we get run out of the gym by 20+ which I don't see happening. 

NativeCheesehead

I have to be out of town next week otherwise I would be going to this. Kudos to the alumni association for putting the bus/buffet/game trip together.

valpospartan

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 13, 2019, 12:08:07 PM

Quote from: justducky on January 13, 2019, 11:34:30 AMI looked at their ticket sales and seating chart Friday morning. Looked to be plenty seats still available. I'm curious how close to a sellout they come? Anybody going? As for their return trip to the ARC on Sun Feb 10, I checked that about Tues and we have barely made a dent towards what I was expecting. If both of these teams remain near or at the top of the league I would expect 4 to 6 hundred Loyola fans coming down (our best crowd) just like last year.
For the first time I will be taking the fan bus to the game and pre-game party. The pre- game get together is around 80 people and then we will be sitting in section 201. Come on and join us for a fun gritty time in Chicago.
I also will be a fan bus newbie.  Not too thrilled that sec. 201 is directly above the student section, though.

NativeCheesehead

If I was going I would have loved to have made a sign. "Your scarves are stupid."

M

That's a good sign and our student section should plan on having this sign for when they come to Valpo.

VUGrad1314

How about "This isn't Quidditch!" with a picture of their scarf X'd out.

VU2014

I'm wondering if we could fly under the radar going into this Loyola game. Loyola is coming off a big win on national tv over their rival ISUr. Maybe they underestimate.

NativeCheesehead

No way anyone in the chair backs would get the Harry Potter reference.

tiny707

I think Javon will be pumped to compete against his Whitney Young teammate Lucas Williamson. I expect big things from him. Our bigs will have to contain Krutwig. Who will guard Cushner and who will guard Townes?

VUBBFan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 13, 2019, 03:21:54 PMNo way anyone in the chair backs would get the Harry Potter reference.

Hey be nice, This chairback got it. If I had a snitch, I'd throw it out at their fans and watch them go crazy trying to get it. lol

VU2014

Quote from: tiny707 on January 13, 2019, 03:48:00 PM
I think Javon will be pumped to compete against his Whitney Young teammate Lucas Williamson. I expect big things from him. Our bigs will have to contain Krutwig. Who will guard Cushner and who will guard Townes?

Like you said the key will be containing Custer and Krutwig. I've watched a few Loyola games this year and it feels like they go as Custer goes. They don't seem to have that same magic this season where someone new steps up each game if someone else isn't making shots.

I think Sorolla will need to come up big this game with his defensive presence against Krutwig. Krutwigs quick first step and finishing abilities could get our guys in foul trouble. They can't bite on every fake. The guards will need to step up and play disciplined defense. I've really liked what I've seen from Sackey on defense being disruptive with his quickness.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: tiny707 on January 13, 2019, 03:48:00 PMI think Javon will be pumped to compete against his Whitney Young teammate Lucas Williamson. I expect big things from him. Our bigs will have to contain Krutwig. Who will guard Cushner and who will guard Townes?

Golder?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on January 13, 2019, 03:21:18 PMI'm wondering if we could fly under the radar going into this Loyola game. Loyola is coming off a big win on national tv over their rival ISUr. Maybe they underestimate.

Not likely. This is a battle for first place and if we win we're two games clear of everyone I think with head to head over multiple contenders. I don't want to oversell this because it's still early in conference play but I expect Loyola to play this one like their season is on the line. I hope our team is ready for one of  the toughest challenges they'll see all year because that's exactly what they're going to get. Go Valpo!

wh

Following Tuesday's Loyola game, the Crusaders will have already played the top 4 teams in this year's preseason MVC poll (below). The number after the team name is the average predicted finish of that team's first 5 opponents:

1. Loyola 6.8
2. IL State 5.2
3. S. IL 6.2
4. Bradley 7.4
5. N. Iowa 4.8
6. IN State 5.6
7. Valpo 3.6
8. MO State 5.8
9. Drake 4.6
10. Eville 5.2

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on January 13, 2019, 07:17:40 PMFollowing Tuesday's Loyola game, the Crusaders will have already played the top 4 teams in this year's preseason MVC poll (below). The number after the team name is the average predicted finish of that team's first 5 opponents: 1. Loyola 6.8 2. IL State 5.2 3. S. IL 6.2 4. Bradley 7.4 5. N. Iowa 4.8 6. IN State 5.6 7. Valpo 3.6 8. MO State 5.8 9. Drake 4.6 10. Eville 5.2

That's a positive sign! Thanks for sharing that stat!

NativeCheesehead

F@&! It. Lets just win the whole gosh darn thing.

valpolaw

Huge game. If we win, we are in one hell of a position.

SanityLost17

Quote from: wh on January 13, 2019, 07:17:40 PM
Following Tuesday's Loyola game, the Crusaders will have already played the top 4 teams in this year's preseason MVC poll (below). The number after the team name is the average predicted finish of that team's first 5 opponents:

1. Loyola 6.8
2. IL State 5.2
3. S. IL 6.2
4. Bradley 7.4
5. N. Iowa 4.8
6. IN State 5.6
7. Valpo 3.6
8. MO State 5.8
9. Drake 4.6
10. Eville 5.2

Not only did they give us the toughest schedule through 5 games.  3 of our first 5 on the road and our 6th game is pre-season #5 UNI. 

So as far as pre-season anlysis goes we received no scheduling favors that's for sure!

VUGrad1314

We didn't earn any favors either but let me tell you I'm really proud of this team and what they've shown through conference play so far. I hope they keep it up. I don't know if we've been saying that enough so I'll say it again I'm really proud of this team for their efforts so far. May they never lose sight of what has brought them to this position. Keep up the effort and intensity and the grit all season long and into the future. Go Valpo!

valpotx

With Fazekas:

Valpo 68
Loyola 63

Without Fazekas:

Valpo 59
Loyola 58
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

Stat from Saturday's broadcast -- Loyola has not lost this year when scoring 70, and until Illinois State, had not won when not scoring 70.  They had 67 on Saturday.  They've been in too real grinder games -- lost to Maryland 41-55 and lost to St Joe's 42-45.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum