• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

College Admissions/Sports Scandal

Started by crusader05, March 12, 2019, 10:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader05

crusader05

and now Wake Forest has suspended their Volleyball coach

crusader05

I saw one segment about a kid getting admitted as a USC football player who went to a high school without a Football team. They created a profile for him that said he was a kicker!

valpo04

Looks Like Aunt Becky and Uncle Jesse really wanted to get the twins into USC.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1105488493957074944

crusader05

vu84v2

More detail in this article on ESPN's website:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26238811/feds-allege-coaches-bribed-school-admission

Did these people really think that they will not get caught? I guess they don't. Many of these people probably could have made a major donation and gotten their kids accepted (which is probably still fraudulent - but is also legal).

Ironically, all of the universities have such high reputations that this hit on their reputation does not hurt them that much.

crusader05

Some parts of the indictment include comments from the "fixer" that he had been doing it for 20+ years but damn why are you people putting stuff in writing!

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1105492635345653760

This tweet kind of explains they they didn't do the usual rich bribery here's enough money for a building let my inadequate but rich child in please. Either it's too much or they aren't connected enough to work that angle.

usc4valpo

At USC, this is the college of engineering, and then there is the land of hoi polloi. 500 grand for USC? should have any iced up for Stanford. This story is far from shocking.

JD24

I'm shocked that anyone is shocked.

NativeCheesehead

Can we talk about how scummy it is that the guy who ran the whole thing got caught and flipped on the parents here, which will likely result in him doing less time. Don't get me wrong, they deserve whatever's coming to them, but the way the whole thing went down I don't think there's a single 'good guy' in this entire story, DAs included.

crusaderjoe

What aggravates me about this is that there was an apparent attempt to try to manufacture and create fabricated learning disabilities for students so that they could receive accommodations during testing even though they were not needed.  This bothers me because you may have a student with a legitimate intellectual disability like high functioning autism who might, as part of a co-morbid condition, also have a legitimate learning disability that require a use for accommodations.  Or, you may have the normal run of the mill student who is not necessarily intellectually disabled but does require accommodations because of a learning disability such as dyslexia.  The manufacture of these accommodations is a total slap in the face to not only these kids who are legitimately working academically with these issues but also to the parents who are fighting behind the scenes for accommodations, because sometimes parents must spend thousands of dollars through legal fees and countless emotionally spent hours fighting with school districts in order to get them.

A few years ago it was reported in the news that families who visited Disney would "hire" disabled people to pose as family members so that the whole family could skip long lines to the attractions.  I've also read that some areas of the country are now having to crack down on the use of fake service dogs or the use of "emotional" service dogs who pose as disabled service dogs in public places because of abuse of use.  I see these examples as no different than what happened here. These practices are getting out of control, and they are legitimately making it more difficult for those who actually need assistance. 

vu84v2

My guess is that this is going to also go into the athletic departments. Assistant coaches, even in tennis, sailing and rowing, don't have the authority on their own to accept and endorse enrollment of student-athletes. Head coaches and, perhaps, ADs, had to have some level of involvement.

valpo84

Coming to Netflix this Fall, Aunt Becky starring in Full House Arrest.   8-)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum