• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. UAB

Started by jetz, March 15, 2013, 09:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Jetz back here in Auburndale once again to bring you today's game between the UAB Blazers and Valpo Crusaders.  UAB is playing their first game in this tourney and come in with an 8-9 mark on the year.  They are a member of Conference USA.  The Blazers will throw thier ace today, righty Tanner Bryant.  He is making his fifth start of 2013 and has a 1-1 record on the year.  These are all official "Dad" stats, so if a couple of numbers are wrong, I'm sure you'll understand...
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

It's a carbon copy of yesterday weatherwise here today.  Breezy and a little chilly for Florida.  The wind is blowing from left field to right at 10 mph under a cloudless sky.  Temp is in the low 50s and rising to a high of 73 today.  We're on the same field we have been on for our previous two games here at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex...

Hanson23kim

Let's hope the Crusaders keep their winning streak going today!  ;D

jetz

Valpo is wearing their black jerseys with gold trim today, Valpraiso written in cursive gold across the front.  Grey pants with our Sunday cammo hats.  UAB is dressed in all white with green and gold trim.  We will throw righty Cole Webb, who has been our most impressive starter thusfar in 2013.  He sports an ERA right around 2.00 after three starts so it should be a good pitching duel today.

jetz

This will unfortunately be my last blog from Florida.  Have to head back north to the real world after a nice two week stint down here.  Sorry there will be no blog for the Miami (OH) contest at 10am EDT tomorrow.  The Crusaders will hop on the bus after tomorrow's game and head north as well.  We are scheduled to open conference play next weekend at home against WSU, but that series may get moved to Dayton for weather...stay tuned.

jetz

Mahoney to start things off for visiting Valpo.  Bryant is not physically imposing, but his FB is around 90 here to start.  Mahoney flies out to left on a 2-1 pitch for out #1.

jetz

Vavra follows with a high pop to shallow left for the second out.

jetz

Bain goes down swinging for out #3. Easy inning for Bryant and the Blazers.  No score mid 1.

valpotx

I assume that we would just switch the home and road series for WSU if they have to change it next week?  Never had that happen in our conference schedule when I was playing
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Webb starts off with a fly ball to Hara in center and there's one away.  Morman in left today, Manning in right, and Martin back at third.

jetz

Tx--nothing official yet, but that is the proposal.  Webb gets Ryan Prinzing to bounce to Mahoney who makes the routine play for out #2.  Cribbs back catching today.

jetz

Nice breaking ball retires Ivan De Jesus swinging and Webb matches Bryant's easy first.  No score.

jetz

Loeffler steps in for Valpo.  He pulls a chopper to first who makes the play unassisted.  One down.

valpotx

How hard does Webb throw again? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Morman chops to third.  The long throw is true and Mike is out.  Two down.  Here's Hara.  He hits a hrd ground ball that knocks the pitcher's glove off, but Bryant picks it up and throws him out easily.  UAB perfect through 1 1/2.  No score.

jetz

Webb sits 84-87 I'd say.  Lots of off speed stuff.  He gets the first UAB batter looking to start the bottom of the second.  One out.

jetz

Ground ball to Mahoney.  He double clutches, then makes a strong throw to get the runner by a half step.  Two away.

jetz

Here's an easy fly to a waiting Hara in center, and Webb is perfect through two. Pitcher's duel is shaping up.  No score.

valpotx

UAB is a solid program.  I would absolutely love the W today (as always)  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Martin returns to the lineup after yesterday off.  He fans on a nice change for out #1.

jetz

Cribbs fans for the seond out, and Manning liner to right is right at the RF to retire the side.  No score mid 3. 

jetz

Thanks to Apostle for the Ernie Harwell reference yesterday.  While I am certainly not worthy, you can tell I grew up loving and listening to him.  Still a big Tiger fan.  Ernie was the best.  Webb gets two quick outs here in the third, on ground balls to Vavra then Mahoney.  Two away.

jetz

Webb walks Matt Morse for the game's first baserunner. 

jetz

Top of the order for UAB in Adam Lau.  Webb fans him on a change for the third out of the inning.  No score after 3.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: jetz on March 15, 2013, 10:27:17 AMThanks to Apostle for the Ernie Harwell reference yesterday.

Awesome.  I really do hear his voice in a movie-type-voiceover when I'm reading this.

No need to say "He fouled that one to a lucky man from Naples", though :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa