• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU @ St. Joe's

Started by VULB#62, August 30, 2013, 03:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

After the UND thumping let's concentrate on competing against teams on our (hopefilly) level.

BTW Morehead lost to Pikeville 13-10.  NAIA.  2012 record 3-8

covufan

Carlson appears to be a very upbeat and positive coach.  I hope that spreads to the team, as they really need to forgot North Dakota and play well against St. Joe.  We have to finish strong in this game, pound it out on the ground if needed. 

Valpo -  37
St. Joe- 30

usc4valpo

St. Joe - 35
Valpo - 23

this one is in beautiful Rensalear IN, and Carlson's optimism has led him to a glorious 2-32 record and his bogus Joel Osteen quotes are a crock.  You need positive waves and smarts and in reality it is not there.

bbtds

St. Joe  40
Valpo    24

fyi, Rensselaer is spelled with 2 S's and ends in "aer."

milanmiracle

Well, since they aren't playing Campbell...and Carlson's record vs. St. Joe is 0-2...the results are predictable.

St. Joe 42
Valpo 24

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

HC

valpotx

Tough one, as we lost on a last minute drive last year.  I think we actually win this one:

Valpo 31
St. Joseph's 24
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUdad

Valpo 16
St Joe 13

Reserved optimism, counting on our running game to grind out yards and use up the clock. Includes 3 FGs. Big test week, though, to establish running as a strength. Hutson had 100 all purpose yards, but that is neither game-changing or team-turning. Keep an eye on Hall.  Given the continued decision making at the QB position, it doesn't look like we'll ever have a passing game that works until different players take snaps. Nothing to lose rotating others in there.  The two current QBs have had too much experience to not have their decisions questioned. The TD heave was all Gladney--not a well-thought or executed throw. On the other side of the ball, we need the line to resist surges and allow our LBs to make plays going forward, not the side moving tackling that come from runners having large holes and big momentum. Special teams--other than the kicker Young, and Pando looking to get many punts this year, no comment. On a genuinely positive note, the O-line seems improved--only one sack. Of course, UND only rushed four. We will see that a lot this year.

historyman

If you are heading to St. Joe for the game:

Take I-65 south to exit 215. Go east on Highway 114 into Rensselaer. When you get to the stoplight by the Jasper Co. Courthouse turn right on Washington St./US 231. Take US 231 south to the south end of Rensselaer. St. Joe is on the right. The football field, Alumni Field, is on the very north end of the campus. Turn right on Drexel Dr. Park in the lot next to the Scharf Fieldhouse (basketball venue) and walk northwest to Alumni Field.

Here is the intersection at Highway 114 & US 231 in downtown Rensselaer where you turn right. That is the Jasper County Courthouse on the right. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=St+Joseph's+College,+South+College+Avenue,+Rensselaer,+IN&hl=en&ll=40.936867,-87.150974&spn=0.0011,0.002642&sll=40.928883,-87.184324&sspn=0.035212,0.084543&oq=St.+JosephRensselaer,+IN&hq=St+Joseph's+College,+South+College+Avenue,+Rensselaer,+IN&radius=15000&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.936717,-87.150843&panoid=x2SPQtk2vUsqHpnLDPG9IQ&cbp=12,150.76,,0,-5.08

OR

Take Highway 2 south through Hebron. Continue straight at the stop sign on the south end of Hebron on US 231. Go through DeMotte on US 231. At the south end of DeMotte US 231 jogs to the left/east and then comes to a stop sign west of Wheatfield. Turn right at the stop sign to continue south on US 231. Here is a picture of the intersection where you turn right to stay on US 231, east of DeMotte and west of Wheatfield.  https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hebron,+IN&hl=en&ll=41.187542,-87.15114&spn=0.001104,0.002642&sll=40.936729,-87.15085&sspn=0.004401,0.010568&oq=Hebron&t=h&hnear=Hebron,+Porter,+Indiana&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.187542,-87.151008&panoid=UZk3q8jYW-qGxHGE2VmOIg&cbp=12,101.41,,0,0
Stay on US 231 through Rensselaer to the south end of town. Follow the directions above.

http://www.saintjoe.edu/about/map/

It takes roughly an hour to get to St. Joe from the Valpo campus.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=St+Joseph's+College,+South+College+Avenue,+Rensselaer,+IN&hl=en&ll=40.92804,-87.186298&spn=0.035212,0.084543&sll=40.928883,-87.184324&sspn=0.035212,0.084543&oq=St.+JosephRensselaer,+IN&hq=St+Joseph's+College,+South+College+Avenue,+Rensselaer,+IN&radius=15000&t=m&z=14

This is looking from US 231/S. College Ave. towards the St. Joe campus--west. You can see the Fieldhouse on the left and the purple "Pumas" on the home stands of St. Joe's Alumni Field. After you see the Fieldhouse take the next right.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=St+Joseph's+College,+South+College+Avenue,+Rensselaer,+IN&hl=en&ll=40.923969,-87.15556&spn=0.0011,0.002642&sll=41.475425,-87.053415&sspn=0.069838,0.169086&oq=sT+jOESEH'S&t=h&hq=St+Joseph's+College,+South+College+Avenue,+Rensselaer,+IN&radius=15000&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.924077,-87.155579&panoid=c9F6tp6YNfMumy15AVYGXQ&cbp=12,281.17,,0,4.75
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

new2ff

Hope I am wrong, but didn't they beat us LY? They have great QB returning & preseason D-2 All-American WR & 26 players that started games LY....a win would be big for Valpo, but I don't see it. I'll be cheering for Crusaders just the same.

historyman

Yes, they beat us 36-34 last year at Brown Field. Valpo should have won the game but stalled a drive inside the SJC 10 yard line and gave up the ball on downs with less than 2 minutes to go. St Joe drove the length of the field and scored the winning touchdown with about 30 seconds left on the clock. Valpo could not get within field goal range and the clock ran out. That game was a prime example of Valpo not being able to finish a game.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

milanmiracle

Quote from: historyman on August 31, 2013, 03:49:03 PM
Yes, they beat us 36-34 last year at Brown Field. Valpo should have won the game but stalled a drive inside the SJC 10 yard line...That game was a prime example of Valpo not being able to finish a game.

I said long ago that Valpo needed to learn how to win. All they have experience at is getting pummeled in public. The first year Carlson got here, he hung those kids out to dry all in the name of the "system". He never even gave them a chance to compete and certainly didn't play to their skill set. Even if most of those kids are long gone, but it set a tone. Well, what have they learned? How to compete and stay in games? Nope. How to stay in games even when you're outclassed? Nope? The results are expectedly the same.

And then people wonder why they can't finish close games, or compete like other PFL schools. They've won 2 games in 3 years...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu72

Quote from: new2ff on August 31, 2013, 03:36:34 PM
Hope I am wrong, but didn't they beat us LY? They have great QB returning & preseason D-2 All-American WR & 26 players that started games LY....a win would be big for Valpo, but I don't see it. I'll be cheering for Crusaders just the same.

They are picked fourth this year in their conference:

http://athletics.saintjoe.edu/news/2013/7/29/FB_0729135110.aspx
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valposter

The definition of insanity:  keep doing the same things and expect different results.  Nothing has changed from last year or the year before.  Playing the same players, with the same schemes, with the same head coach.

St. Joes:    28
Valpo:       14

I hope I'm wrong and Valpo can pull out a victory.......... :-[
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 30, 2013, 05:40:50 PMhis bogus Joel Osteen quotes are a crock
Quote from: Valposter on September 03, 2013, 10:25:58 AMThe definition of insanity:  keep doing the same things and expect different results.  Nothing has changed from last year or the year before.  Playing the same players, with the same schemes, with the same head coach.
Seeing these two things reminded me of some stories coming out of South Bend in the Mid 1980's, when Gerry Faust was the coach.  The players were becoming tired of the "Let's pray for a win" or field goal, or whatever was needed to win that day.  After a few years, Faust's teams were repeating mistakes, doing the same thing expecting different results. 

Hopefully, this team can be turned around. 

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 30, 2013, 03:28:20 PMAfter the UND thumping let's concentrate on competing against teams on our (hopefilly) level.
If St. Joe's has fillies, we have no chance!  :o

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on September 03, 2013, 12:16:39 PMFaust's teams were repeating mistakes, doing the same thing expecting different results
Ah yes.  I was a kid then, but I remember my namesake uncle printing and selling "OUST FAUST" bumper stickers.

$2 before the game.

$5 after!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valposter

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 03, 2013, 09:12:07 PM
Quote from: covufan on September 03, 2013, 12:16:39 PMFaust's teams were repeating mistakes, doing the same thing expecting different results
Ah yes. I was a kid then, but I remember my namesake uncle printing and selling "OUST FAUST" bumper stickers. $2 before the game. $5 after!

Gerry Faust.  A very nice man with great integrity in way over his head.  It just goes to show how much big business college sports has changed since then.  Could you imagine this lead story on ESPN today:  Breaking News-Notre Dame has just hired Cincinnati Moeller High School football coach Gerry Faust to lead it's Billion Dollar College Football Program".   Twitter would blow up.  The internet blogs would blow up.  The media would go into a feeding frenzy.  The ND alumni and boosters would storm the Golden Dome with spears and pitchforks.  That would just never happen today.   
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

covufan

VULB#62

2 deep just released for St. Joe's.  It appears that a couple of freshman are inching their way upward.

Valpo 34 - St. Joe's 33  Valpo wins in the last minute on a missed St. Joe's FG from the 35 with a minute left.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 05, 2013, 07:12:17 PMValpo wins in the last minute on a missed St. Joe's FG from the 35 with a minute left.
Knowing the Voss family, there's no way that happens.

I'll say SJC 36, Valpo 34.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 05, 2013, 07:48:02 PMI'll say SJC 36, Valpo 34.

Wonder where you got that score since it was the same score as last year's game with St. Joe.   ;D

bbtds

I did some digging on St. Joe's and now realize who Julian Walker is. Five years ago he helped lead a resurgence of Southport High School from a 1 win per season school to one that was a lot better. The Cardinals are not exactly beating up Conference Indiana but they are certainly not the doormat either. Here is a story ESPN did on the remarkable turn-around Southport did in 2008.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/football/story/_/id/3671873/southport-undergoes-massive-turnaround/  (see picture of Walker. The story doesn't actually mention him but he was a big part of the turn-around)

It sounds like the key to beating St. Joe will be avoiding as many mistakes as possible and stopping Julian Walker.

There are two Indy Lutheran grads on the SJC football squad. So I hope they get to play but don't do enough to beat Valpo.

Valpo Crusaders  42
St Joe               49

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on September 05, 2013, 08:21:59 PMWonder where you got that score since it was the same score as last year's game with St. Joe.
LOL you're right, but I was just taking #62's prediction and having Gavin MAKE that FG :)

milanmiracle

St. Joe 18 Valpo 13 - Halftime

I'd say I'm surprised...but I am not.