• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball vs Wright State

Started by valpopal, April 07, 2014, 09:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I have posted a set of 30 baseball photos from this weekend, including the three below, at the following link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157643617718924/

The team won two out of three games against a very good Wright State squad and despite not much scoring. They swept the doubleheader with excellent pitching on Saturday (3-1 & 2-0), but gave up too many runs on Sunday and fell 4-2. The Raiders came into the series undefeated in the Horizon League with an 8-0 record.

In the fifth inning of the final game, starting pitcher Mario Losi had to leave with an injury. He looked to have a strained muscle, perhaps a pulled hamstring. If you check my photo gallery at the above link, I have an image of Losi's leg extension on the pitch where he was injured.

I also had the pleasure of meeting our own jetz at the game!

valpotx

Definitely good to see that we took 2 of 3 from WSU. 

In regards to the write-ups, I have to disagree on stating that last year's IU NCAA game would have been the biggest upset in program history.  I understand that they were hosting the regional and it was the NCAA tournament, but they were ranked #13.  I would have to say that our biggest upset in Valpo baseball history was when we beat #1 Notre Dame at their place in the 2000-2001 season, with a FR pitcher no less (Adam Paetznick).

QuoteThe last time the Crusaders faced a Big Ten team they were two outs away from pulling off the biggest upset in program history. Instead, a four-run ninth-inning rally by the 13th-ranked Indiana Hoosiers sent the sold out crowd at Bart Kaufman Field in Bloomington home happy. The Brown and Gold aim to turn the tables on Big Ten foe Northwestern in the first meeting between the two teams since 2011.
"Don't mess with Texas"