• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Track - who owns scheduling and website

Started by momofalex, December 08, 2015, 02:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Congrats to Alex Watson for his winning the Horizon League Pole Vault title 4.56m or 14 ft 11 1/2 inches.

Mom should be very proud!

valpotx

Awesome!  Hopefully some good things to come from both T&F teams with the improved facilities for them to practice on
"Don't mess with Texas"

momofalex

Thanks - it's always fun to see your son doing something he loves.   Valpo vaulting has a bright future.  Go Valpo!

VU2624

Story from day 1 of the Horizon League T&F Championships complete with a picture of Alex Watson right at the point I'd be looking for a ladder to climb down.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Men are showing particularly well.  Taking 3 places, including 1st, in the decathlon was major.  Taking 2 places including 1st in the PV was big.   Valpo javelin throwers (both men and women) are making an impact in terms of number of throwers showing in the results as well as performances.  This is certainly due to the presence of coach Pukstys. Hopefully the men can hold onto 3rd and the women can get some points and finish strong on the final day.

As mentioned many times before, the VU academic reputation + the new track + good performances + proactive, aggressive recruiting could = more T&F talent coming to Valpo. T&F and CC are sports that do not have high associated costs of operation and can attract lots of new students to the university.  It's a no-brainer to push for improvement.

VULB#62

momofalex

Turns out that 3 of the 4 Valpo vaulters are blond this year - the picture is of Zach Topper, not Alex.  I sat next to his mother at the meet and we agreed that the resemblance is very strong.  Thank goodness Alex wears white shoes and Zach wears black  :lol:

valpo64

Since this was our first opportunity to host  the Conference meet, has there been any feedback on how the meet was run, facilities, etc.?

momofalex

I can speak as a spectator:
- it would be nice to have more convenient bathroom facilities.  There were port-a-potties, and then you had to go into the ARC.
- it would be nice to have bleachers, or some sort of seating available for some of the field events so that you could be closer to the action.  We took our lawn chairs and ended up using them to watch pole vault as well as high jump, both of which occur at the "end zones" of the field.  The only seating provided was the home and guest bleachers.
- it would be a HUGE improvement to have the throwing events located at the same venue as the rest.  They were held at Eastgate which was a big inconvenience for fans, coaches, athletes, you name it. I assume they had to shuttle the decathlon and pentathlon athletes - their throwing events were intermingled so they were at the track, then Eastgate, then track, then Eastgate....
- it was great to be able to switch the orientation of the pole vault, long jump and high jump events to maximize the wind direction.
- we ran into fans from all of the participating schools, and I know from first hand experience that the local hotels were full.

VU2624

Quote from: momofalex on May 09, 2016, 11:25:59 AMI can speak as a spectator: - it would be nice to have more convenient bathroom facilities.  There were port-a-potties, and then you had to go into the ARC. - it would be nice to have bleachers, or some sort of seating available for some of the field events so that you could be closer to the action.  We took our lawn chairs and ended up using them to watch pole vault as well as high jump, both of which occur at the "end zones" of the field.  The only seating provided was the home and guest bleachers. - it would be a HUGE improvement to have the throwing events located at the same venue as the rest.  They were held at Eastgate which was a big inconvenience for fans, coaches, athletes, you name it. I assume they had to shuttle the decathlon and pentathlon athletes - their throwing events were intermingled so they were at the track, then Eastgate, then track, then Eastgate.... - it was great to be able to switch the orientation of the pole vault, long jump and high jump events to maximize the wind direction. - we ran into fans from all of the participating schools, and I know from first hand experience that the local hotels were full.

The original plans for the facilities upgrades were to have a throws field which would be adjacent to Brown Field behind the scoreboard.

Page 102 of the master plan:

https://issuu.com/smithgroupjjr/docs/valparaiso_university

vu72

Quote from: VU2624 on May 09, 2016, 03:47:10 PM
Quote from: momofalex on May 09, 2016, 11:25:59 AMI can speak as a spectator: - it would be nice to have more convenient bathroom facilities.  There were port-a-potties, and then you had to go into the ARC. - it would be nice to have bleachers, or some sort of seating available for some of the field events so that you could be closer to the action.  We took our lawn chairs and ended up using them to watch pole vault as well as high jump, both of which occur at the "end zones" of the field.  The only seating provided was the home and guest bleachers. - it would be a HUGE improvement to have the throwing events located at the same venue as the rest.  They were held at Eastgate which was a big inconvenience for fans, coaches, athletes, you name it. I assume they had to shuttle the decathlon and pentathlon athletes - their throwing events were intermingled so they were at the track, then Eastgate, then track, then Eastgate.... - it was great to be able to switch the orientation of the pole vault, long jump and high jump events to maximize the wind direction. - we ran into fans from all of the participating schools, and I know from first hand experience that the local hotels were full.

The original plans for the facilities upgrades were to have a throws field which would be adjacent to Brown Field behind the scoreboard.

Page 102 of the master plan:

https://issuu.com/smithgroupjjr/docs/valparaiso_university

It sure looks that way and may still happen.  They've added a storage building which wasn't in the plans and that has taken part of the throw area you describe.  The balance looks like it still could happen but I believe it is the College of Nursing building, that ultimately will be moved, that currently occupies the remaining space.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

72, I think you are right on that. Once the nursing school moves it opens up a lot of property.  But for the foreseeable future the throws are all the way across campus.  Having said that, I asked about that as soon as the track went in (cuz I was a javelin thrower in my day).  I wasn't satisfied with the answer.  It does not take a whole lot to temporarily construct a shot area, disc/hammer cage and a javelin runway on the vacant land until the soccer stadium and Recreation and Athletic Center are built. I do not believe there is much else going on out there.

VULB#62

Brandon did a nice job of describing the Valpo track & field results and especially Hickey's decathlon come-from-behind win.  In the picture the track and infield look really great.

[tweet]729824161598681089[/tweet]

agibson

Quote from: momofalex on May 09, 2016, 11:25:59 AMI can speak as a spectator

From a faculty perspective:

I didn't have any track athletes this semester, but I heard a certain amount of grumbling from faculty about the timing of the meet: during finals. Could perhaps impact study schedules, and I heard suggestions that the events themselves were impacting an outsize number of students and causing missed exams - maybe "all hands on deck" to help with tournament logistics?

I'd personally try to be sympathetic to competing athletes. But, if the whole team disappeared for several days during finals, whether they were competing or not (often the travel party seems smaller than the practicing team - though I'm not sure for conference finals), it could be awkward.

I'm not sure how coordinated HL finals schedules are. It seems like basketball teams tend to shut down for finals in the fall semester. There are league championships and NCAA tournaments that are happening after finals. I do wonder if there might be some academic-friendlier schedule.

In general, I find student athletes a very disciplined, hard working, good time managing, group in the classroom. So, hopefully the disruptions weren't too severe.

Certainly good to get to showcase the new facilities, for our athletes to get a home championship, and to fill the hotels. I didn't make it out this year, but enjoyed the inaugural home meet.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 09, 2016, 07:28:16 PMIt does not take a whole lot to temporarily construct a shot area, disc/hammer cage and a javelin runway on the vacant land until the soccer stadium and Recreation and Athletic Center are built. I do not believe there is much else going on out there.

Some recreational use. There are soccer goals there, and the field was even lined for much of the spring. I've seen a couple of different groups using the soccer goals. Maybe some intramurals use the space too, but some of that also happens at Eastgate. It's nice to have some open grassy space like that, but perhaps there's enough at Eastgate.

VULB#62

You have a good point.  For intramurals there is a lot of open space at East Gate and it is about equidistant from the main dorm complexes as the Porter property.  Why not dedicate East Gate to intramurals (exclusive of the grass soccer pitch inside the asphalt track and Em Bauer Field) and focus all outdoor intramurals there henceforth and furthermore?  There actually appears from Google Maps to be more open space out there than on the present Porter property (later when LeBein Hall comes down and LaPorte Avenue is rerouted that will change and add a couple more acres).

VU2624

Quote from: agibson on May 17, 2016, 09:04:20 AM
Quote from: momofalex on May 09, 2016, 11:25:59 AMI can speak as a spectator
From a faculty perspective: I didn't have any track athletes this semester, but I heard a certain amount of grumbling from faculty about the timing of the meet: during finals. Could perhaps impact study schedules, and I heard suggestions that the events themselves were impacting an outsize number of students and causing missed exams - maybe "all hands on deck" to help with tournament logistics? I'd personally try to be sympathetic to competing athletes. But, if the whole team disappeared for several days during finals, whether they were competing or not (often the travel party seems smaller than the practicing team - though I'm not sure for conference finals), it could be awkward. I'm not sure how coordinated HL finals schedules are. It seems like basketball teams tend to shut down for finals in the fall semester. There are league championships and NCAA tournaments that are happening after finals. I do wonder if there might be some academic-friendlier schedule. In general, I find student athletes a very disciplined, hard working, good time managing, group in the classroom. So, hopefully the disruptions weren't too severe. Certainly good to get to showcase the new facilities, for our athletes to get a home championship, and to fill the hotels. I didn't make it out this year, but enjoyed the inaugural home meet.

Certainly an interesting point of view. The league Outdoor champs are typically the first full weekend of May which may have pushed this year's meet into finals. Most years the meet is held May 2, 3, 4 etc. However with May 1 being a Sunday, the meet was held nearly a week later than most years.

In addition, when the team is travelling for the meet, the only athletes who travel are those who the coaches choose to bring and they are usually limited to potential scorers and/or relay runners. So the roster is not that large. With the meet being a home meet, the entire squad was involved to a great degree.

The meet is at Valpo again in 2018 but I expect the meet to be a weekend earlier and not in conflict with finals.

Really a great point though.

momofalex

Agibson thank you for sharing the faculty perspective.  As the mother of a competing athlete I too worried about the timing of the meet.  I talked about it with Coach Overbo and he mentioned that a few of the athletes weren't able to attend practice right before the meet due to studying for finals.  He commented that it might have been easier if the meet had been away - then the athletes could have focused on the meet and wouldn't have been running back to their dorms to study, or feeling like they were torn between competing, supporting their teammates, and exams - not to mention packing to leave for the summer.  I also vaguely remember a conversation with Coach Moore when he said that one of the other schools had asked for the dates to be changed to what they were but don't hold me to that - perhaps it conflicted with their graduation?  I know that Youngstown was already done with classes - not sure about the others.