• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Woman's Basketball 2023-2024

Started by vu72, November 18, 2023, 06:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

So once again Valpo loses at home by 22 to a team picked something like 10th in the Ohio Valley I think. Coach Evans tells us we have lots of talent and needs to "tighten up" a few areas before the next game.  Tighten up?  We lost by 22!

We, once again, are playing a five out scheme with a lack of height.  We get outrebounded and if the 3's aren't falling we get smacked.  If Evans is around next year I'll be shocked.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

In 15 years in the Mid-Con, we had 14 winning seasons. Since then, we've had one winning season in the Horizon, and one in what will be seven years in the MVC. Something needs to change.

We need someone to come in and evaluate our program, and evaluate what it takes to be successful in the MVC. Facilities, people, living conditions, majors available, coaching pay, etc.

We should strive to be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VULB#62

Uh, two things.

Why isn't this in the basketball thread and, more importantly,  would someone please  tell me why the coach with the most VU WBB wins, Keith Freeman, got fired — which led to this situation?

Valpo14

Our current AD seems to have a better handle on acquiring talented coaches(Powell) than previous
Just another area needed to be cleaned up

usc4valpo

Valpo had to take care of the Big stone, I.e., men's basketballl, before taking on the smaller stones, especially with the limited funds. If Valpo had revenue Evans likely would have been canned.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 18, 2023, 09:37:02 PM
Uh, two things.

Why isn't this in the basketball thread and, more importantly,  would someone please  tell me why the coach with the most VU WBB wins, Keith Freeman, got fired — which led to this situation?
Freeman's last three years had wins of 7, 9 and 10 with nothing in the pipeline. His dismissal was warranted. Dorow was a disaster, however, she understood you needed height. Evans had one winning season and that was with Dorow's recruits. She has never recruited a player over 6-1 and has had one at 6-1. We have a team full of wings yet she is always surprised we don't rebound.
At least this year she recruited taller wings so that is something.
We have one shooter in Brown and through 2 games we can't get her shots.
We just lost one of only 2 home games in the pre-conference. It could be a long season.
I do think this freshman class has potential for the next staff.

valpotx

Tough OT loss at Western Michigan, after leading by 3 in the waning seconds of the second half, only to have a banked 3 pointer go in at the buzzer for WMU, from straight on (not intended at all).  This was after two pretty solid losses at Southern Miss and UAB.  I like that we aren't just chucking up 3's at this point, like we have in prior seasons.  There seems to be a concerted effort to get the ball inside. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on November 29, 2023, 08:30:09 PM
Tough OT loss at Western Michigan, after leading by 3 in the waning seconds of the second half, only to have a banked 3 pointer go in at the buzzer for WMU, from straight on (not intended at all).  This was after two pretty solid losses at Southern Miss and UAB.  I like that we aren't just chucking up 3's at this point, like we have in prior seasons.  There seems to be a concerted effort to get the ball inside. 
The classic do you foul before a 3 is shot.

They aren't winning but there is hope.

Where was Harris, she has been pretty solid. Without her we still could/should have won.

Valpo14

finally won a game-albeit an exhibition(shows in the win column which is weird) but...looks to be a long year for the ladies

vu72

Quote from: Valpo14 on December 08, 2023, 08:58:58 AM
finally won a game-albeit an exhibition(shows in the win column which is weird) but...looks to be a long year for the ladies

OMG, that was really hard to watch.  What has happened to players and their inability to shoot free throws? Valpo was 10 for30!!! and IUNW was 9 for 15.  We are going to get killed in The Valley.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Free Throws
Quote from: vu72 on December 08, 2023, 09:21:34 AMValpo was 10 for30!!!

A conspiracy theorist might say that their political stances might have effected their straight shooting.  Cause we know all these students are being polluted by their professors and university presidents. It's a true epidemic.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

valpotx

Wow, we lost 61-35 to Bethune Cookman, and went 2/23 from 3, while 11/49 overall.  How can you claim to have an offense that wants to shoot, when you have no shooters?  It's the same problem we have on the men's side currently, except that Coach Evans has had more time to recruit players that fit her style.  We were spoiled in having Grace White, Carrie Weinman and Shay Frederick during the 'better years' of Evans' tenure, which were really more mediocre in actual standings.   If the twins stay after this season, I think that they have a lot of potential, but I am not sure that Evans can survive another sub-10 win season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

I expected the Bethune Cookman loss, looking at their schedule they looked pretty good. 35 points I am sure had SID's researching the last time we scored that little. A Quick Look's says 2005 or so we scored 31.

I thought Stetson was beatable but no go.

Not sure what is going on. Harris has missed a bunch of games with an undisclosed injury. Johnson disappeared from the roster.

They signed 2 players for next year...no mention.

historyman

I'm afraid it's another nail in the coffin of Mary Evans time at Valpo.

There is some talent there that needs a head coach that can mold them into a winner and bring in some of that head coach's own pieces.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

The sooner Valpo removes Evans, assigns an interim and moves on the better for all. The team is not growing and in a wrong direction.

Valpo14

I agree.If we get an interim perhaps we can wait til a new coach is hired to recruit-I would hate to think we have this current staff continue to offer scholarships -unless we are bound financially ?

VULB#62

Ya know,  the fact that this post was placed in "Other Sports" tells you something, doesn't it.  In previous seasons, WBB and MBB always shared the Basketball string. Not this year.

usc4valpo

Valpo athletics tend to be overly patient in decision making and there is no justification for sustaining this decaying insanity of a program. Time to show competence, pull the plug now and move on.

SPEEDYPITCHER37

Time to fix this and bring WBB back to the basketball forum? MVC play starts Saturday.

Positive note: Freshman Raeven Raye-Redmond leads the MVC in steals per game (2.8) despite playing just 16.1 minutes per game off the bench. This freshman class is talented, just needs development.

vu72

Women get boat-raced by 28 having made a couple of free throws with no time left. Embarrassing.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on December 30, 2023, 08:15:36 PM
Women get boat-raced by 28 having made a couple of free throws with no time left. Embarrassing.
The women have only one win, against Chicago State, an independent team with the worst record in Div. 1: 0-20!

VULB#62

On probably the only positive note:  two of the top three VU scorers were first years. And a great angle is that those two are identical twins!  From Ft. Wayne even.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 30, 2023, 11:14:44 PM
On probably the only positive note:  two of the top three VU scorers were first years. And a great angle is that those two are identical twins!  From Ft. Wayne even.

Perhaps, but, unlike the men, who have zero seniors contributing anything, the women have team members who have been starters for a couple of years and a total of six seniors, three of which are fifth year players. Evans is playing with the people she recruited years ago.  Talented freshman to be sure.  Can we give a few more years to turn it around?  I think not.

usc4valpo

It's past the holidays. Time to make unfriendly but correct decisions. Make the decision now to leave no doubt.