• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

vok22

Loyola offered a contract starting at 2.2 million per year and increasing, paired with other incentives such as season tickets to Cubs games. Maybe he just wanted to coach at the power 5 level. Whether it is more of a challenge, a career goal, a better chance to win a title. There are a million reasons someone might want to take a job as head coach of power 5 over in the MVC, and only one of those can be money.

wh

Moser knows that what happened to Bradley this year after representing the MVC in the tournament the 2 prior years could well happen to Loyola next year. He'll never be more marketable than he is right now.

He deserves a lot of credit for giving the MVC a big boost following the loss of Creighton and Wichita State. I wish him the best as he continues on life's journey.

valpotx

Interesting, I didn't know that Loyola's Baylor Hebb is from my HS.  Good to see him transfer away from a rival :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

Quote from: Pgmado on April 03, 2021, 10:33:13 AM
https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/does-valparaiso-have-a-transfer-problem-or-is-it-simply-catching-up-with-the-times/article_d9d5137d-d942-5dc8-a7b7-7982d7a6683b.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Wow!  What a great article! It covers so many aspects of transfers and includes effective interview with several people so close to the issue (and close to Valpo).

I find the comment at the end by Lexus Williams to be very insightful...that his generation does not stay with a company/organization/etc. for very long. What I believe is that many who jump around (from team-to-team, company-to-company, etc.,) miss how much personal value that they develop within the organization that is not transferrable to other organizations. Few people (players, etc.) have so much talent that it overrides the challenges from starting over in developing relationships, organizational knowledge, tacit knowledge, etc. As the article points out, some transfers turn out well for the player - but my guess is that a majority do not.

crusader05

One piece of context for recent generations is that many of them may have seen parents lose jobs during the recession. There's a lot of talk about loyalty to a company but the reality is many people don't believe their company will be loyal to Them. It's not just that the kids have changed it's that in many ways the work environment has too. And it extends to colleges as well.

VUGrad1314

That was a terrific article that shed great light on the issue. I now see it as less of a Lottich issue than I did previously. I do wonder what programs like Purdue that have had comparatively fewer transfers are doing that other programs aren't and how we can possibly emulate that in order to keep our talent here so that we can build.

mp91

Yes, the transfer portal can be extremely frustrating for teams and fans, but it's also important for players rights. Not every player is going to be in the right situation and the portal offers a way for them to get a fresh start. Every other student can transfer without a penalty and it's important that athletes have this right as well. Again, there is definitely an element of frustration for program building, but it's also important to remember that it serves a very important purpose for players especially since they aren't compensated. Will be interesting to see how potential name, image, and likeness compensation opportunities impact the portal.(Also, workplace mobility is common for millennial and zoomer generations. We were even taught in school that more than likely we are going to have several employers. Mobility is a factor of the free market as securing talent is a driving factor in competitive balance. That's just the modern world)

valpotx

Good points all-around.  Nice to see how Capobianco & Lexus reflect on their time and transfer reasoning, and they are definitely correct that this youngest generation views 2 years at one company as an 'eternity.'  As someone whose primary function is hiring talent at my company, this youngest generation just confuses the hell out of me lol.  I have been with my company for 10+ years now, and you can create long-term wealth when you are loyal to a company, and that company returns that loyalty to you.  Granted, they have good points that a company can just lay you off if there is a change in technology/business strategy, so why have the same loyalty to that company?  I've had many former SiriusXM + Pandora employees reach back out to me after leaving, to mention what a mistake it was to leave, but it is very rare that a company will rehire you, if you leave after only 1-3 years.  I'd be interested to see if there are any schools where someone leaves, and eventually finds their way back.  It seemed like a few transfers this year, were considering their original school.  I believe 1 was for Northern Kentucky.

In the end, why recruit the HS kids, except to get on their radar for a future transfer into your program?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 03, 2021, 03:13:05 PM
That was a terrific article that shed great light on the issue. I now see it as less of a Lottich issue than I did previously. I do wonder what programs like Purdue that have had comparatively fewer transfers are doing that other programs aren't and how we can possibly emulate that in order to keep our talent here so that we can build.

I appreciate the article within its perspective and the thesis in its title: "Does Valparaiso Have a Transfer Problem, or Is It Simply Catching Up with the Times?" However, it is not an either/or proposition; it is more complicated. The stats are discussed well, and they could suggest Valpo is caught up in a transition like other universities that have similar numbers of transfers. That is an easy answer. However, it is possible that the complexity of the issue is that along with the changing times, Valpo also has a problem. For instance, some of the transfers are likely because of conflicts players had with coaching personalities or tactics. Certainly, the article indicates that was likely the case with Robinson and JO since they were outspoken, though neither is quoted in the article, plus other past players are suspected of leaving for similar reasons even if they did not publicly state so and may have said the right things when leaving. You can supply possible names from conversations on this forum at the time. I applaud Kampe for being so outspoken in the article, as he always has been in the past. However, he cannot address issues at Valpo. Moreover, Lottich's two instances of quotes in the article lack any substance or response to suggestions of conflict or other problems within the program. They are generic: "We're hitting what really appears to be a perfect storm...It's getting to the point where instead of the idea of building programs, you're building teams, and that's really unfortunate." "We are going to have to adapt...It's something that we'll have to embrace." These sound like so many of his non-specific comments in press conferences, especially following losses, and I say this as someone who is not anti-Lottich and was a supporter at the time of Lottich's hiring. I just want to hear better answers. 

JD24

I think the expectation of anything other than non-specific comments coming from any coach is one which is going to go unfulfilled.

David81

And if we want to look at this topic against an even broader backdrop, consider that approximately 1/3 of college students overall will transfer to another school before earning a degree. Many of us on this board are probably 4-year VU alums, but the reality is that changing schools is quite common, for a variety of reasons.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/top-reasons-students-transfer-colleges/

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 03, 2021, 03:13:05 PM

The simple answer IMO is culture and recruiting to it. Everyone knows what kind of guy fits in at Purdue and with few exceptions, those are the guys they get. Now that's a lot easier to do at a P5 because of obvious reasons, but that's essentially how they mostly avoid issues with transfers.

valpotx

I saw that one-time Valpo recruit Xavier Castaneda, has committed to Akron, after transferring from USF.  I wonder if we reached out to him again.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4396641/xavier-castaneda
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on April 05, 2021, 06:14:30 PMI saw that one-time Valpo recruit Xavier Castaneda, has committed to Akron, after transferring from USF.  I wonder if we reached out to him again. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4396641/xavier-castaneda

Didn't he have shooting issues last year? I have a feeling (I hope) Matt wants a PG who can shoot as well as distribute.

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 05, 2021, 06:35:25 PM
Quote from: valpotx on April 05, 2021, 06:14:30 PMI saw that one-time Valpo recruit Xavier Castaneda, has committed to Akron, after transferring from USF.  I wonder if we reached out to him again. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4396641/xavier-castaneda

Didn't he have shooting issues last year? I have a feeling (I hope) Matt wants a PG who can shoot as well as distribute.

I would have taken his slash line of 36%/38%/88% any day of the week, from a PG.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IrishDawg

Quote from: valpotx on April 06, 2021, 01:24:59 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 05, 2021, 06:35:25 PM

I would have taken his slash line of 36%/38%/88% any day of the week, from a PG.

Compared to Sackey, certainly, and it's not awful, but still isn't ideal considering he shot more 2's than 3's and didn't get to the foul line all that much.  He also shot 24% on shots at the rim, which is actually worse than Sackey (43%).  Also had a 20% turnover rate which is barely better than Sackey's.  Also not ideal is his defensive box plus minus which is near the worst on USF's team.  Really his biggest upside is his 3 point shooting, which was 7-8 percentage points better than his previous 2 seasons, so at least in my mind there would be some question as to whether he could maintain that.

There are certainly worse guys to take a chance on, just playing devil's advocate and pointing out where there may be some concerns.

oklahomamick

Guards Pre Lottich

Ben Boggs
Jay Harris
Matt Kenney
Eric Buggs
Will Bogan
Keith Carter
E. Victor
Lexus Williams - transferred
Tevon Walker

Guards Lottich Era

Micah Bradford - transferred
Bakari Evelyn - transferred
Marcus Golder - transferred
Joe Burton - Kicked out
Deion Lavender
Daniel Sackey - transferred
Eron Gordon
Nick Robinson - transferred
Javon Liberty-Freeman - transferred 
Sheldon Edwards
Zion Morgan

CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Liam Robbins is back in the transfer portal.  Back to Drake??  Crazy stuff.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 06, 2021, 09:05:03 AM
Guards Pre Lottich

Ben Boggs (transferred in)
Jay Harris  (Transferred out)
Matt Kenney
Eric Buggs
Will Bogan (transferred in)
Keith Carter (transferred in)
E. Victor (transferred in)
Tevonn Walker
Darien Walker

Guards Lottich Era
Bakari Evelyn - transferred (after transferring in)
Marcus Golder - transferred (after transferring in)
Joe Burton - Kicked out (after transferring in)
Deion Lavender (transferred in)
Eron Gordon (transferred in)
Nick Robinson - transferred (after transferring in)
Javon Liberty-Freeman - transferred 2x 
Sheldon Edwards
Zion Morgan (transferred in)

Added some other information relating to the players.  Not sure what the point was or how to react to this information other than "guards are fungible and highly transitory." Also, wasn't there a Darien Walker, pre-Lottich who stayed all 4.  And how far back "pre"?  For example, was David
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

crusader05

should we count JFL as transferring 2x if he entered and then pulled his name out again?

JD24

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 06, 2021, 09:05:03 AMGuards Pre Lottich Ben Boggs Jay Harris Matt Kenney Eric Buggs Will Bogan Keith Carter E. Victor Lexus Williams - transferred Tevon Walker Guards Lottich Era Micah Bradford - transferred Bakari Evelyn - transferred Marcus Golder - transferred Joe Burton - Kicked out Deion Lavender Daniel Sackey - transferred Eron Gordon Nick Robinson - transferred Javon Liberty-Freeman - transferred Sheldon Edwards Zion Morgan
Any look at transfer history has to allow for the change in the rules. I think a look at a lot of programs over the last 4 years would show a higher and probably much higher rate of transfer than for any time prior.

oklahomamick

I think the pre Lottich area of guards were 10x better players than the current Lottich guards.

It was meant for a comparison of talent, not transferring. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 06, 2021, 09:05:03 AM
Guards Pre Lottich

Ben Boggs
Jay Harris
Matt Kenney
Eric Buggs
Will Bogan
Keith Carter
E. Victor
Tevon Walker

Guards Lottich Era

Bakari Evelyn - transferred
Marcus Golder - transferred
Joe Burton - Kicked out
Deion Lavender
Eron Gordon
Nick Robinson - transferred
Javon Liberty-Freeman - transferred 
Sheldon Edwards
Zion Morgan

Micah Bradford committed to Valpo (LOI) in Nov. 2015. Bryce left for Vanderbilt in April 2016. Bradford was a Bryce Drew recruit, not a Matt Lottich recruit.

oklahomamick

I could switch it and the guard talent still heavily favors prior coaching regime. 

The point guard is important and I think a lot of ML troubles are because he hasn't had enough talent at point guard. 
CRUSADERS!!!