• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 06, 2021, 03:42:39 PM
I could switch it and the guard talent still heavily favors prior coaching regime. 

The point guard is important and I think a lot of ML troubles are because he hasn't had enough talent at point guard. 

Don't be too quick to blow off the Micah Bradford recruiting failure. Bryce was very high on 3-star Micah. Matt tried everything to make Bryce's prize recruit work, including switching him from 1 to 2 and back again, but 3 years and 2 pot busts later he was gone. That was probably Bryce's biggest recruiting failure and Matt, not Bryce, paid the price for it.

justducky

Quote from: wh on April 06, 2021, 04:59:25 PMDon't be too quick to blow off the Micah Bradford recruiting failure. Bryce was very high on 3-star Micah. Matt tried everything to make Bryce's prize recruit work, including switching him from 1 to 2 and back again, but 3 years and 2 pot busts later he was gone. That was probably Bryce's biggest recruiting failure and Matt, not Bryce, paid the price for it.

Come on man! You've clearly remembered his pot busts but spaced off his injury.  :crazy: He finished that one season impressively and might have developed just like Bryce had envisioned. To be fair to both Micah and Bryce you have to remember the whole story.

wh

Quote from: justducky on April 06, 2021, 05:24:07 PM
Quote from: wh on April 06, 2021, 04:59:25 PMDon't be too quick to blow off the Micah Bradford recruiting failure. Bryce was very high on 3-star Micah. Matt tried everything to make Bryce's prize recruit work, including switching him from 1 to 2 and back again, but 3 years and 2 pot busts later he was gone. That was probably Bryce's biggest recruiting failure and Matt, not Bryce, paid the price for it.

Come on man! You've clearly remembered his pot busts but spaced off his injury.  :crazy: He finished that one season impressively and might have developed just like Bryce had envisioned. To be fair to both Micah and Bryce you have to remember the whole story.

Here's Bradford's career stats. Maybe someone can make sense of what you're saying. I can't. He played 2 years at Valpo before his injury year. He then played a season at Southern followed by another full year lost by injury. Also, bear in mind the difference in competition between 31st ranked SWAC and 11th ranked MVC.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4067452/micah-bradford

M

I recall Bradford playing well at the end of a season after returning to his pg position. Overall I'd rank him in the bust category for whichever coach you want to put him with. Would he have been a bust had Drew been in charge of his development and not Matt? Who knows.

Chairback

I remember he made a few good passes to Sorolla at the end of the season and that was it.  Maybe 10 passes and everyone thought he was improving. 

You can't say he wasn't given the opportunity to shine.   He just didn't. 

justducky

He might have been our best February player on an admittedly bad team. If you want to go to the trouble to dig up those stats and prove me wrong then have at it. I haven't been proved wrong today yet but there is still time.  :o

What I clearly remember is that his play was never the same post injury (even with what I saw of his SWAC play); so I gave him the benefit of the doubt just like I handed Tommy Kurth. Either way the injury was of much greater playing significance than the pot use and wh seemed to forget that it even happened.

oklahomamick

I think he was a bust.  But put him on Bryce's plate and Bryce's guards are still way better than what ML has been recruiting. 

The point is that guard play is important and that's where we have been lacking ever since ML has taken over.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Bradford had demonstrated over the last month of that season, that he is a better distributor, than a shooter.  I had high hopes that he would be a decent PG the following season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on April 06, 2021, 10:54:00 AM
Liam Robbins is back in the transfer portal.  Back to Drake??  Crazy stuff.

With Depaul's coaching change, they have 9 players in the transfer portal.  How do you think JFL feels? lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpotx on April 07, 2021, 12:58:26 AM
With Depaul's coaching change, they have 9 players in the transfer portal.  How do you think JFL feels? lol

At least he's close to home for emotional support.  ;)
Beamin' Beacons

valpo64

Is JFL among them?

vu72

Wow!  Yesufu formerly of Drake lands at Kansas!

So yes, we lost JFL and Donovan to the transfer portal but even a highly regarded coach like Drakes lost Robbins and Yesufu.  Stuff happens...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Good for Yesufu.  He would not have been able to land at Kansas, if it weren't for the increased shot load that he received, after Roman Penn went down.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Very interesting.  Indiana State just received 3 transfers from D2 Lincoln Memorial, in Simon Wilbar, Cameron Henry, and Xavier Bledson. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusader05

I said this before but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of transfers left with nothing as people grab one and done SR D2s or underecruited HS Seniors to take up some of their slots

vu84v2

Quote from: crusader05 on April 07, 2021, 03:50:04 PM
I said this before but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of transfers left with nothing as people grab one and done SR D2s or underecruited HS Seniors to take up some of their slots

Someone referred to this as a game of musical chairs...which seems like an apt analogy.

Chairback

Are there going to be enough open spots for all these transfers?  Or enough minutes to even get a chance to play?

Seems like it's easy to transfer but also very risky as you could be putting yourself in a situation to be the odd man out.   

crusader05

I am sure every year there are people who don't get spots b/c they don't want to transfer down or people pull in international players/un-recruited HS or pull up D2 players to fill slots. This year I think there's also the issue of the extra year without a scholarship cap increase which is just going to add an extra layer of chaos and the unknown. You're going to want to keep your classes balanced and there are the 2022 recruits out there that teams have been cultivating relationships with that they want to make sure they have space for next year.

between all of this plus just the large amount of transfers it really will be a chaotic mess and I think you're seeing it in how few announcements about new commitments that have been made so far.

Just Sayin

Coaches will probably recruit fewer high school players and focus their recruiting efforts on the portal since building a program from the bottom up and keeping young players will prove to be fruitless given their likelihood of transferring.  Recruit experience in the portal.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on April 07, 2021, 03:47:03 PM
Very interesting.  Indiana State just received 3 transfers from D2 Lincoln Memorial, in Simon Wilbar, Cameron Henry, and Xavier Bledson. 
Coach taking players with him.

bb33

Seems to me coaches will need to manage your team like you manage your portfolio, with a balanced blend.  You have a percentage you recruit from HS hoping they are high performers (which a portion may get sold - traded - if they perform beyond expectation -- this number is also probably lower now then in previous times), and an increased percentage from the transfer portal, who have already used up their one year transfer.  These guys can be a mix of young and experienced.  Also looking at developed D2D3 athletes who became quality players in college and come with experience, and who know how to win.   There will be fewer projects.  This is going to make it hard for recruits because why take a chance on an unknown freshman when you can get an experienced sophomore who already has college experience and shows promise.  You also have a history of how well they are doing academically.

The ARC and other facilities does hold us back.  Which means we need more.  The school also needs to do more.  When Illinois hired their new AD they understood that better sports equates to increased applications, .  Sports is one of the best marketing tools for a university.  That's what so many invest in them.  It can put you on the map so people can see all the other amazing pieces to the university.

valpo84

I know it will never be done, but a D1 school that signs a transfer from another D1 school should have to add that school to their schedule within 2 years or have to pay a "transfer fee" of $100,000 (cost of 2 years scholarship at most colleges). 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

crusader05

Wait so if someone decided to say Leave Purdue and transfer to Valpo WE should have to pay Purdue?

humbleopinion

Quote from: crusader05 on April 08, 2021, 09:40:29 AM
Wait so if someone decided to say Leave Purdue and transfer to Valpo WE should have to pay Purdue?

According to the idea, we'd have to be willing to schedule Purdue in order to avoid paying them money.
Beamin' Beacons

crusader05

okay and if say Purdue refused to schedule us than nothing happens?