• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Valpo Team Name Ideas

Started by jackvitashow, May 25, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp91

Quote from: VU2022 on October 01, 2021, 01:30:10 AM
Current VU student here who just stumbled upon this thread. While religion is definitely a part of the Valpo identity, I would argue that it is not at all what attracts students here. Almost everyone I've talked to in my 3+ years here, myself included, came to Valparaiso because they wanted to attend a good (Engineering, Meteorology, Nursing, PA, Business, Chemistry, ect) school and they either got a scholarship to come here or wanted to go to a smaller Midwestern school. As someone also mentioned, athletics definitely attract people to go to VU as I know several people who came to Valpo because they wanted to get an engineering degree whilst playing D1 football, an opportunity not as readily obtainable at a bigger school. Anyways, back to what I was previously saying about religion, hyperfocusing on the religious aspects of Valpo likely will not help enrollment and will scare off potential students, if anything.

-VU2022

Completely agree! This was my experience as well.

wh

There's something rotten in Denmark about these Confucius Institutes, far more than has been stated publicly. As imbedded as the CCP is everywhere in our naive, over-trusting society and seeing the Biden administration pushing this despite their seeming love affair with China suggests to me that the CCP was using these venues for dark, subversive, dangerous Anti-American activities. All they had to do was wave a dollar bill in front of a bunch of cash-starved universities, and they lined up like lap dogs.

wh

From the Charlotte 49ers fans forum:

"Glad they changed from Crusaders to Beacons. That should reduce the alarming number of ships crashing in Indiana."

valpotx

Great, so we are struck with really crappy artwork as our logos...
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

I believe that we will win.

vok22

The Valpo Pathetic Basketball Teams

nkvu

I would say Valpo Bottom Dwellers, but that would just be both stating the obvious and piling on at this point.

crusader05

At this point finding a rebranding that was embraced positively may be a bigger challenge.

mj

One word to describe the new mascot: woof

VALPO LI

Quote from: mj on August 15, 2022, 09:19:40 AM
One word to describe the new mascot: woof
Actually 2 words... woof woof ;)
Shine on Vu

elephtheria47

mj

Also, has anyone heard of "George" the dog and the fact that it's considered good luck to kiss his headstone before exams?

usc4valpo

78crusader

I can't say I'm disappointed in the new mascot.  Truth be told, I was expecting worse than what we got.

Here is what I'm disappointed in -

- removing the inflated Crusader mascot and telling us it was in for "repairs" (which must have been considerable since it never reappeared); IMO the skids were greased from that point on and it was only a matter of time before the name was jettisoned

- having a vote on the Crusader name, without promptly disclosing the results of the vote (maybe the vote totals were released at some point; if so, I'm not aware of it. If the vote totals were released, it was at least a month later after it was announced the Crusader name did not survive).  I think the vote was undertaken merely to provide cover for a preordained decision made by a select few at the University

- the name change, from what I can tell, has not received much positive feedback from the community at large, not to mention students or athletes, and didn't accomplish anything other than alienate a good number of alumni and cost the university a bunch of money

- the lighthouse logo just isn't very well done and I'm mystified why the logos on this fan forum board, which IMO are vastly superior, haven't been adopted by the University

Paul

Valpo1993

Paul.... I agree.   Unfortunately, there is no going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

Have a dancing light tower as an antimascot similar in spirit to the Stanford tree.

SlimJimJZ

Quote from: mj on August 15, 2022, 11:17:53 AMAlso, has anyone heard of "George" the dog and the fact that it's considered good luck to kiss his headstone before exams?

I heard about this on a tour of Old Campus at Freshman Orientation. Never heard about it again until now.

historyman

Quote from: mj on August 15, 2022, 11:17:53 AM
Also, has anyone heard of "George" the dog and the fact that it's considered good luck to kiss his headstone before exams?

That is something from the 40's & 50's era after "George" had died. His grave is still out there by the trees in the area near the old Law School building.

https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/wm4MZH_Tomb_of_the_Old_Campus_Dog

https://www.facebook.com/valparaiso.university/photos/a.486718348631/10156621209308632/?type=3

https://z-upload.facebook.com/valparaisou/posts/10159899005618632

"the stone isn't too far from the SigEp house, near the bullpen."

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

I thought this new mascot thing was a bad joke, but it is not. This is fricking embarrassing. I can understanding changing the nickname from Crusader, and to me it was no big deal.  But we look like fricking fools with mascots that look like something created from Nick. Jr.

Perhaps Triumph the Insult Comic Dog can assist - "These mascots are great - for me to poop on!"

Valpo1993

Assuming the new mascot is a dog -correct.   Anyone have any pictures of this since it has been referenced to something from nickelodeon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NotBryceDrew