• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Softball Coach!

Started by valpotx, July 22, 2014, 05:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Seems like a good hire, and welcome to Coach Stake!  Hofstra has a good softball program, and it seems like she has always been a part of winning programs, which is a good mentality to bring in.

http://valpoathletics.com/softball/news/2014-15/13787/valparaiso-announces-hiring-of-kate-stake-as-softball-head-coach/
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Sounds like a great hire!  Another female coach to balance things out and keep jj (setshot) happy  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on July 22, 2014, 05:36:54 PM
Sounds like a great hire!  Another female coach to balance things out and keep jj (setshot) happy  ;)

Of course if she has a son or daughter she is in trouble with setshot due to nepotismo.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepotismo
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Coach Stake seems like a rare find.

(However, I worry that now Vampiro-Americans will be woefully under-recruited.)

Welcome, Coach!  Let's get the fire back!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 22, 2014, 07:15:12 PMCoach Stake seems like a rare find. (However, I worry that now Vampiro-Americans will be woefully under-recruited.) Welcome, Coach!  Let's get the fire back!

Softball games are almost all daytime games. No problem.

Maybe a catcher with long sleeves?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Great credentials from a playing and coaching standpoint and good that she is a D-I-experienced coach.  Hope that her D-I experience also has a solid recruiting component, though no mention was made of that very important aspect of the job in the article.  In D-I, it's all about recruiting talent. 

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 23, 2014, 08:11:22 AMGreat credentials from a playing and coaching standpoint and good that she is a D-I-experienced coach.  Hope that her D-I experience also has a solid recruiting component, though no mention was made of that very important aspect of the job in the article.  In D-I, it's all about recruiting talent.

"Stake served two years as a full-time assistant coach for Eastern Illinois after one season as a graduate assistant in 2007.  As the primary defensive instructor and first-base coach, Stake also aided in recruiting, concentrating on the Midwest region."

LaPorteAveApostle

Only concern here is that she lost out in the bid to replace the guy she assisted at The Hoff.

Perhaps in the words of the immortal Gordon Lightfoot,
"I'll walk away / Like a movie star / who gets burned in a three-way-script"?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on July 23, 2014, 02:43:22 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on July 23, 2014, 08:11:22 AMGreat credentials from a playing and coaching standpoint and good that she is a D-I-experienced coach.  Hope that her D-I experience also has a solid recruiting component, though no mention was made of that very important aspect of the job in the article.  In D-I, it's all about recruiting talent.

"Stake served two years as a full-time assistant coach for Eastern Illinois after one season as a graduate assistant in 2007.  As the primary defensive instructor and first-base coach, Stake also aided in recruiting, concentrating on the Midwest region."

Should have said "little" mention.  "Aided in recruiting" back in her early career (Pre Army, pre-Hofstra) is not the same as having heavier recruiting responsibilities, like being a recruiting coordinator.  Just hoping she is a strong recruiter and can sell the program to some great kids.

LaPorteAveApostle

Too. True.
Quote"If you have a good pitcher and an average team, you have a good team," she said. "If you have an average pitcher and a good team, you only have an average team. What we're going to look for is having a good pitcher and a good team, because that's when we can start competing for championships."

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/28833268-556/softball-kate-stake-ready-to-get-rolling-as-valparaiso-coach.html#.U9DS_1agEkE

VULB#62

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 24, 2014, 04:39:17 AM
Too. True.
Quote"If you have a good pitcher and an average team, you have a good team," she said. "If you have an average pitcher and a good team, you only have an average team. What we're going to look for is having a good pitcher and a good team, because that's when we can start competing for championships."

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/28833268-556/softball-kate-stake-ready-to-get-rolling-as-valparaiso-coach.html#.U9DS_1agEkE

That responds to my concern.

valpopal

Aaron Leavitt offers a fine introduction to new softball coach Kate Stake with his interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2myO2yPN9gs

LaPorteAveApostle

I think P.T. Sirah offers a finer introduction to Stake.

OK I'll stop now.

valporun

Sounds like she'll be real regimented, and probably learned some different ways to recruit from EIU, the Army, and Hofstra. The only question/concern I have is will Coach Stake being staying in Valpo for longer than a few years?

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: valporun on July 25, 2014, 11:36:06 AM
Sounds like she'll be real regimented, and probably learned some different ways to recruit from EIU, the Army, and Hofstra. The only question/concern I have is will Coach Stake being staying in Valpo for longer than a few years?

We'll never know the answer to that until it happens, but she did say that the midwest is her home....so we have that going for us.  :thumbsup:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valporun on July 25, 2014, 11:36:06 AMshe'll be real regimented, and probably learned some different ways to recruit from ...the Army
saw what you did there

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 25, 2014, 10:04:03 PM
Quote from: valporun on July 25, 2014, 11:36:06 AMshe'll be real regimented, and probably learned some different ways to recruit from ...the Army
saw what you did there

ml: What kind of recruiting did you do in your softball coaching career?

Stake: Arrrrrrrrrmmmyyy recruuuuuuuiting, Sir!!!!

only it was at Eastern Illinois

VULB#62

Coach Stake gets an unwelcome bit of news. Saw a sidebar to a Paul Oren article on Hammink, that catcher Jannelle Bouchard has transferred back to Maine and will be playing softball for the UMaine Black Bears next spring. 

Jannell Bouchard -- KennebunK, ME

2013: A Second Team All-League and All-Newcomer Team honoree as a freshman ... appeared in 61 games for the Crusaders, starting 59 times ... 49 of her starts came at catcher ... hit .323 with 23 runs scored and 53 RBIs ... paced the Horizon League in RBIs, a mark which ranks second in a single season in Crusader history ... named Most Valuable Player of the HL Championship, as well as Batter of the Championship and a member of the All-Tournament Team ... hit .529 with 10 RBIs, four runs scored and four doubles over the tournament's six games in helping lead Valpo to the title ............

LaPorteAveApostle

Why do baseball players have to sit out a year (although, per Tex, not always) but softball players don't?  Seems ridonk.

I suppose Title IX means they can have all the good things and none of the bad?

valpotx

That is a big loss, just like Duncan was last season.  Apparently, Maine is so small, that this made the news??  I assume that like Duncan, this decision was made to be closer to family?

http://www.wmtw.com/sports/Kennebunk-native-Bouchard-transferring-to-UMaine-softball-program/26700254#!bxKOyx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

As many people would guess, athletes of all sports are pretty close at colleges (typically), and communicate freely about many things they learn, even as they get years past their college days.  Information provided to me in this manner may explain this recent transfer when you consider what we have hypothesized about relating to Stevens' "leave of absence," and why it might have happened.  Again, no one can be 100% certain why Stevens left without school confirmation, but I trust the information.  I won't get into the specific details shared with me due to possible issues it might create, but the details provided are pretty specific to what occurred.
"Don't mess with Texas"