• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/19/13 Wright State at Valpo game thread

Started by bbtds, January 14, 2013, 03:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

If I'm wrong I will be happy to admit it...if I'm right how many of you will be there to admit that?

LaPorteAveApostle

I will!  But then, I agreed with you!!!

Computer says they only have 5 games the rest of the way with more than a 53% chance...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

WSU took advantage of our tired legs early with their substitution rotations. At times they were rotating fresh legs in like it was a hockey game. I believe WSU will be better than their schedule and computers say they are because you play the real game on the court, not some convoluted computer setup that makes some math freak get his 'happiness' stimulated. I'm just glad that Valpo got the right momentum going to get a second wind.

78crusader

Can someone tell me who are the five members of the 72-73 team featured at halftime of the game and shown in the photograph posted by Valpopal?  I have guessed three of them are Dan Hoerl, Tom Haeberle, and Lynn Siefert. 

Thanks,

Paul

ps Valpopal, let me join the others who have commented that your photos are excellent!

78crusader

OK, so I think one of the others in the photo is Paul Fredlake.

Paul

valpopal

Quote from: 78crusader on January 21, 2013, 01:10:10 PM
Can someone tell me who are the five members of the 72-73 team featured at halftime of the game and shown in the photograph posted by Valpopal?  I have guessed three of them are Dan Hoerl, Tom Haeberle, and Lynn Siefert. 

Thanks,

Paul

ps Valpopal, let me join the others who have commented that your photos are excellent!

Thanks very much, Paul. I'm pleased you like the photos. In a previous post RS wrote the following: "I believe going left to right on the photo they are : John Wolfenberg, Dale Lesicki, Tom Hoerl, Tom Haeberle and Tom Mueller." (Not sure which of you has Hoerl's first name correct.)

hailcrusaders

Quote from: vu72 on January 20, 2013, 08:42:21 PM
Quote from: wh on January 20, 2013, 07:00:14 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on January 20, 2013, 04:15:28 PMSorry wh--I have to disagree with you about the ARC. The WSU fan is right IMO; our venue is a high school facility at best and probably would not even be the best high school facility in NWI as far as sight lines and seating configurations go. East Chicago Central H.S. is probably better. We need a new or updated venue badly and as a collegiate program VU should not be competing with area high schools for game venue atmosphere, particularly in Indiana. I hope we do something soon. Where's the roll out of that five year plan??
You're reading too much into my comments. I want a revamped ARC as much as anyone, following some variation of the Loyola model. That would enhance an already good experience, as opposed to destroying it like a big barn would.
Totally agree with wh. What we have is one of the most exciting venues around--not because it has comfy seats and the best bratwurst anywhere, but because the fans are right on top of the floor, it is intimate and LOUD. ESPN has said it is one of the most exciting. Having said that, do we need improvements? Absolutely and no one in the administration would say otherwise. It is a matter of funding and I presume the five year plan you reference will have this in its content. As I stated in previous posts, what I understand from what President Heckler has said on other ocasions is that once the new fieldhouse is done the ARC will be "gutted" and then the new "arena" will be built. This I presume will be a reconfiguring and small expansion to the existing space to create a bowl like setting, better concessions and restrooms, a club of some sort etc. As wh also said, along the lines of what Loyola has now. If we go much past 6000 seats it will be a mistake given the demographics of the surrounding city and size of the student body.

The great thing about the ARC is that it's small and loud. Empty seats would do a lot to kill that atmosphere. If we can barely draw 5000 to a game, it doesn't make sense to build an arena twice that size.

That's an interesting comparison to a high school gym, because if you think about it, there are some high schools in Chicagoland with a larger enrollment than VU. That being said, there's nothing that says "game venue atmosphere" like ESPN TV crews  ;)

I wonder if they will rename the new facility. I kind of like the simplicity of "Athletics-Recreation Center." Plus, you can't beat the ARC anagram -- "Crusader Basketball packs the ARC like Noah."
#CrusadersForever

FWalum

Quote from: HC on January 21, 2013, 11:43:56 AM
If I'm wrong I will be happy to admit it...if I'm right how many of you will be there to admit that?
I will certainly give you your props if correct.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

WSU may not be a top rebounding team but they had more than us, 32-28...offensively they beat us 7-2!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 21, 2013, 01:34:29 PM"Crusader Basketball packs the ARC like Noah."

Two of everything!  Except Chicago St fans because there's only one of them!!!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: 78crusader on January 21, 2013, 11:37:59 AMThe trouble with thinking WSU just isn't very good is...they had us beat for 38 minutes Saturday night.  On the road.  In front of a great crowd.

Agreed. And to a Valpo team that was playing well and only committed 7 turnovers the whole game. If Valpo would have committed as many turnovers as they usually had in past games I believe Wright State would have won Saturday night. That says a great deal about the quality of the Raider team. For those who say they haven't played anyone, well Saturday night they played a very good Valpo team and came close to pulling off the upset.

HC

I hope they beat Detroit twice and I'm wrong.

To support my position: they only turned it over 9 times, shot the ball for a decent fg%, out rebounded Valpo and had much better bench production and still managed to blow it.

11 more games and we'll know.

HC

WSU has looked pretty good tonight so far, hit a few threes and are playing their solid defense. Detroit looks slow on defense tonight too.

I like Arcenaux's game. I'm not changing my position on them yet though  :P

talksalot

Thanks very much, Paul. I'm pleased you like the photos. In a previous post RS wrote the following: "I believe going left to right on the photo they are : John Wolfenberg, Dale Lesicki, Tom Hoerl, Tom Haeberle and Tom Mueller." (Not sure which of you has Hoerl's first name correct.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did ask Judy Miller in the archives office to caption the picture... the names were the ones given to me to announce...Those were the names, but I can't verify the order.

SadersofthelostArc

As usual, I'm with HC on this one.  WSU sucks.

LaPorteAveApostle

They were playing well, but are falling apart now.

Nevertheless, if they pull this one out somehow, I'll have to bid HC et al. a fond farewell and jump off the haterwagon.

HC

I don't know if its good job WSU or another crummy coach job by Detroit, regardless nice win for WSU.  Someone else will need to beat them for my prediction to be proven true.

KL31NY

Anyone watch this or follow this in any other consistent matter? I'm curious as to a couple things after finding some inconsistencies in the box score...

Did Ray Jr and Calliste really play all 40 minutes tonight? The sub in/sub out notes are very unreliable. Certainly wouldn't shock me to have them play that much if they play so much during drubbings like what UIC experienced this weekend.

What happened at the end? After Calliste's free throws, the only play-by-play is a 30 second timeout and a full timeout over the final 43 seconds. I'm pretty sure something's missing...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

LaPorteAveApostle

yes, Calliste and McCallum went the distance.

the ESPN pBp shows more activity:  http://espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=330212174

Wow, only 8 points, Ray?  At least over the course of a whole 40 minutes...that's...oh right...eight points. :P

HC

I watched from the 6 minute mark in the first half on. I never saw them subbed out, or much of any subs for Detroit. I also didn't see Jr score, but I was distracted by the kids. The play McCallum drew up at the end was terrible, what a shocker.

KL31NY

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 21, 2013, 09:40:32 PM
the ESPN pBp shows more activity:  http://espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=330212174

True, but there's still something wrong: WSU missed jumper, WSU offensive rebound, WSU timeout, UDM defensive rebound, UDM timeout, UDM missed 3-pointer. Where's the connection that makes that happen?

In all seriousness though, thanks to you and HC for some follow-up
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

HC

There was a scrum for a loose ball, off a missed shot I think. Detroit threw up a half courter that missed but was rewarded with a timeout and given the ball at half court. Ended with Jr throwing up a 25 footer with at least one guy in his face falling out of bounce. Just a terrible play if that is what was drawn up.

KL31NY

Quote from: HC on January 21, 2013, 09:58:40 PM
There was a scrum for a loose ball, off a missed shot I think. Detroit threw up a half courter that missed but was rewarded with a timeout and given the ball at half court. Ended with Jr throwing up a 25 footer with at least one guy in his face falling out of bounce. Just a terrible play if that is what was drawn up.
According to UDM's story, Ray Sr called a TO just before Ray Jr missed the heave which is why they got a chance to draw something up. Man was it horrible. WSU had two guys right there and Ray's dribbling into them. It's like Princess Leia screaming "You're gonna ATTACK them?!?!?" to Han Solo in Episode 5... or simply Lois to Peter in the Family Guy parody

You're gonna attack them!?

valpospartan

I know the WS coach wasn't happy to lose, but I thought he was classless with his monosyllabic, half second handshake with Bryce.

valpotx

He was whining about the fouls the entire first half.  He had absolutely no reason to complain by end of game, as the fouls and FTs were fair and similar
"Don't mess with Texas"