• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/15 Valpo at Missouri State

Started by covufan, December 12, 2012, 06:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

A week off, finals ending this week, will it be a slugish game or will they come out energized?  I'm hoping for a breakout game, one that we can build on going into these last days of 2012 and into the HL season.  An extra rebound here, a forced TO there, a few made threes, a hand in the face of the shooter...

Valpo    71
Mizz St  59

milanmiracle

Quote from: covufan on December 12, 2012, 06:34:06 PM
A week off, finals ending this week, will it be a slugish game or will they come out energized?  I'm hoping for a breakout game, one that we can build on going into these last days of 2012 and into the HL season.  An extra rebound here, a forced TO there, a few made threes, a hand in the face of the shooter...

Valpo    71
Mizz St  59

I am hoping for an easy win over an 0-7 team. Hard to have a breakout win against a winless team with an RPI of 276. This should be a blowout and if they lose...well lets not go there.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

truth219

80-50 valpo....is dority eligible for this game

LaPorteAveApostle

Perhaps it bears reminding (I know it helped me) to know just how valuable to RPI a road win--ANY road win is:  (From wikipedia, emphases mine)

QuoteThe current and commonly used formula for determining the RPI of a college basketball team at any given time is as follows.
RPI = (WP * 0.25) + (OWP * 0.50) + (OOWP * 0.25)
where WP is Winning Percentage, OWP is Opponents' Winning Percentage and OOWP is Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage.
The WP is calculated by taking a team's wins divided by the number of games it has played (i.e. wins plus losses).
For Division 1 NCAA Men's basketball, the WP factor of the RPI was updated in 2004 to account for differences in home, away, and neutral games. A home win now counts as 0.6 win, while a road win counts as 1.4 wins. Inversely, a home loss equals 1.4 losses, while a road loss counts as 0.6 loss. A neutral game counts as 1 win or 1 loss. This change was based on statistical data that consistently showed home teams in Division I basketball winning about two-thirds of the time.[2] Note that this location adjustment applies only to the WP factor and not the OWP and OOWP factors. Only games against Division 1 teams are included for all RPI factors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratings_Percentage_Index

Valpo by 8.  Say 72-64.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

EddieCabot

I saw on Twitter today that Capobianco had 6 stitches over his eye.  Shouldn't be a factor given the level of competition in the next week, but continues a streak of bad luck for him.

HC

http://cbbpps.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/valpo-at-missouri-state/

Took a look at the PPS for both teams and their opponents.  MSU really struggles rebounding, not fouling, and defending the paint (8 blocked shots).  A couple of Valpo's strengths has been our rebounding and KVW's ability to get to the line.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 12, 2012, 09:38:42 PM

I saw on Twitter today that Capobianco had 6 stitches over his eye.  Shouldn't be a factor given the level of competition in the next week, but continues a streak of bad luck for him.

what happened to lead to this bad break?

valpopal

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 12, 2012, 09:38:42 PM

Yes, I saw him, and his right eye looks nearly swollen shut. Some faculty must give really tough final exams!

valpopal

Bobby Capobianco, one tough Crusader, will be ready to play:

wh

The "faceless" Black Knight looks eerily familiar.  ;) 

vubballfan10

Dority becoming eligible should result in decreased minutes for Bogan and Buggs.

truth219

78crusader

A win, but a close game that will not help alleviate any concerns about this team.

VU 68
Mo State 64

Paul

milanmiracle

Quote from: truth219 on December 13, 2012, 09:34:09 AM
We can only hope he's legit

Depends on your definition of legit. He's a point guard who can actually shoot. You'll have to honor his jumper, which will eliminate the 4 on 5 offense. That makes him legit in my world. Buggs has a roll on this team but it's not starting point guard.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

StlVUFan

Quote from: milanmiracle on December 13, 2012, 12:06:22 PM
Quote from: truth219 on December 13, 2012, 09:34:09 AM
We can only hope he's legit

Depends on your definition of legit. He's a point guard who can actually shoot. You'll have to honor his jumper, which will eliminate the 4 on 5 offense. That makes him legit in my world. Buggs has a roll on this team but it's not starting point guard.
Well, he's definitely not on a "roll" as a starting point guard, I'll give you that  ;D

VUfan

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 13, 2012, 12:13:04 PMhe's definitely not on a "roll" as a starting point guard

it buggs me when people beat me to jokes
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Someone likes to go "Broekhoff" these jokes, don't they?

crusadermoe

Thats when the whole string really Boggs down.

StlVUFan

We're here all week, folks.  Tip your waitress.

LaPorteAveApostle

Some folks don't wijk it when we do this to threads.

chef

Yep they think it's Bogan. Kenney keep it to real Hooper talk instead of all this joking around.